West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: West End Workbench

Post by ten ten »

With B16/1 and B16/3 in my to do list, your comments on nose heavy confirm my suspicions on some form of compensation,or maybe tender load transfer being needed.Oddly, the B16s do not figure in Gibsons list for frames or rods,so looks as if scratch frames and "universal" rods are on the cards for me.Be interested to see your solution.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The rest of the solution involved lead just behind the backhead and setting up the tender coupling so it just rests on the connecting arm to the loco.

I've been through the Gibson list this morning as well, and it may be a set of Universal rods is the way to go.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

More fighting back from the B16 last night, but as we all know, Resistance is Futile....

I removed the wheels in order to drill the chassis and secure the motor. That done, the coupling rods started to lock when it was reassembled. The act of dis-/reassembly had clearly disturbed something just enough to allow the massive amount of slop to put them out of quarter at one point in the revolution. Still, just as well it happened on the bench and not at speed under load somewhere.

So plan B came into play early - a washer soldered behind the rod at the leading end each side and then carefully reamed out to allow smooth rotation. I had to fettle the slidebars a little as well, the crossheads were sticking at the extreme forward end of travel, but it seems to be working nicely now even without the benefit of any lubrication.

Above you can see the motor securing arm, now engaged in a hole in the chassis and also a replacement crankpin on the nearest wheel where I had to get brutal with the old one.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Horrible chassis unbelieveable that DJH still sell them like that. I have the joys of a similar one for a C7 to persuade into life once the High level box arrives :shock: :shock:
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You and me both, Mick, although mine does at least work presently. At least this one is straight and square, which helps.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
I had those DJH chassis on both a C7 and a B16 about 30 years ago, and I fitted Portescap motors to both. I stripped the chassis when I got back into modelling about 4 years ago and sold the Portescaps on Ebay. I have built a new chassis for the B16 with a Mashima 1628 and High Level gearbox and need to do the same for the C7.
Earlswood nob
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

mick b wrote:Horrible chassis unbelieveable that DJH still sell them like that. I have the joys of a similar one for a C7 to persuade into life once the High level box arrives :shock: :shock:
I had considered one of the DJH C7's but have decided to pass on this and wait for Arthur Kimbers V/09 (C6), at least that will have a good chassis.
Got to frustrated wrestling with the slabs of metal on the DJH Q7 and don't want to go there again. But then of course Arthur has one of those in the works as well??
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

B16 now reassembled and in the queue for testing next week.

Over the weekend I happened on a likely piece of foam packing from some Christmas present or other which, it struck me, would fit very nicely into a wagon. I chopped it up into some more interesting shapes, stuck sheets over it and hey presto, loaded wagons.

Sheets are Smiths - I'm sure we're all familiar with them - and the plain ones are tissue paper sprayed black. The foam holds the load in the wagon but is easily removed if need be. Ropes would be nice, but removable is the key word here.

I also sprung the buffers on the loco coal wagon - it wouldn't even couple to some wagons with the cast ones in place.

drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Happy 2014!

Would it be possible to ask about the brass coaches in the background of your B16s and other shots?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

And to you, David. I hope we'll see you at Ormesby before too long?
Would it be possible to ask about the brass coaches in the background
Of course. They're D & S North Eastern clerestories (as I'm sure you'd worked out).

Brake 3rd, D 18 I think?

Luggage Composite, D7?

I didn't build them so I can't take credit for that, they came to me in return for building some stock. They're on the test track as they're currently homeless - I've built more coaches but not yet made any more boxes, so at the moment they've been evicted. If they stay there they might just catch my eye and get finished off one day.

Odd jobs and fiddling about last night - this has been painted but unlettered for years and I thought might stand well in the yard at Grantham over the BH weekend:

I have another in the process of being rebuilt but can't find a picture of the prototype. There's a similar one in the old brown Tatlow, so I took a number close to that.

I stuck the roof on the cabriolet GE brake van you may have noticed in the video above and repaired the roof on a GC van at the same time. That GC van kit is now with ABS and 'unavailable' last time I asked him.

Shame as it's a very nice vehicle when built. Jidenco do a kit for what I think is the same van, but I haven't built one so I can't comment on how good it might be.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Good tip re the cocktail sticks !! never seen that before. :D
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Interesting way the LNER carried wood.....
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

The five compartment BT is to NER Diagram 77.

Diagram 18 was the BT (3).

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thank you, John. I was going from Dan's list to try to work out which was which, instead of consulting the Record as I should have.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

2750 wrote:Interesting way the LNER carried wood.....
Don't be silly, the cocktail sticks would make it out of gauge 8)
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'