Colliery tip landslip

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Colliery tip landslip

Post by Solario »

Look like it was a good job this was spotted before a train ran into it.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/at- ... -1-5403449
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Colliery tip landslip

Post by R. pike »

I think it has made some progress since that photo..

http://twitter.yfrog.com/z/nv87ycmj
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

The local news are reporting that the landslip is still moving, so engineers are not going to do any more inspections ........it may be "at least two months" before the line re-opens.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Looking at one of the aerial shots of the heap on the NWR website.
It shows cracking a long way back from the slip front edge, this to me would suggest that the inside of the heap must be totally saturated and ready to move a lot further leaving a pudding bowl like slip in the heap.
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk ... Stainforth

As has been said 8 weeks disruption at least to services between Doncaster - Goole and Scunthorpe. At least the freights to Immingham do have a divert route so Wrawby - Gainsborough might be a bit busy for a while.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It does look like a rotation slope failure, doesn't it? (hence it coming up under the rails).

They think it will stop moving in a couple of weeks? I guess they haven't heard of Mam Tor...
Still moving even though they abandoned the A road back in the 1970s!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

Bryan wrote:Looking at one of the aerial shots of the heap on the NWR website.
It shows cracking a long way back from the slip front edge, this to me would suggest that the inside of the heap must be totally saturated and ready to move a lot further leaving a pudding bowl like slip in the heap.
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk ... Stainforth

As has been said 8 weeks disruption at least to services between Doncaster - Goole and Scunthorpe. At least the freights to Immingham do have a divert route so Wrawby - Gainsborough might be a bit busy for a while.
looks as though there was a lake in that light grey area judging by the rings round it also strange is that water coarse which appears to be coming from a culvert under the railway embankment which is in the middle of the slippage
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

And more photos - it is still moving:

http://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/2013 ... yesterday/

This blog appears to confirm my initial diagnosis of a rotational failure.

8 weeks after the colliery have fixed the tip. That line is going to be closed for quite a while...

I can already imagine the Engineering Geology papers that will be published next year... lol
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I was due to go over that section of line the day after the intial disturbance was spotted :? It's a good job it was noted before it all went pear shaped!

I doubt the line would have been open at present regardless of this landslide - NR is out in force working on Scunthorpe viaduct again, with half the remaining structure on the Eastern side of Scotter road covered in scaffolding. Work is still ongoing with the Eastern embankments visible from Scotter road, brumby wood lane, Scunthorpe general hospital staff car park and station bridge. The only complete arch left is that above Scotter road, the rest of the viaduct's arches either having concrete supports or being filled in with concrete and embankments being built up. The bulk of the work has finished, but as stated, they keep tinkering with the remaining section and the Eastern embankments with the odd disruption to services every now and then.
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Found this apparent technical explanation. I will leave you to judge.

http://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/2013 ... landslide/
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

What a mess, think your talking months to clean that up, seems that the lesson they learnt after Aberfan, have been totally forgotten ??????

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

My faithful Can Am managed to get up the old road at Mam Tor when I was out trail riding :D
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Dr Dave (cf the AGU link that a couple of us have posted) has suggested that Aberfan is what makes this event so unexpected in the UK.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

In an accompanying article about Aberfan, it reports on the shameful behaviour of the then National Coal Board, its chairman, and the UK government. It also states the following:

The Aberfan Disaster also led to detailed studies of the behaviour of mine waste, and in particular of their potential to undergo apparently spontaneous catastrophic collapse. Research into this mechanism continues today, but sadly mine waste failures remain common, especially in less developed countries. For example, in September 2008 a mine waste landslide struck the village of Taoshi in the Shaanxi province of China, killing at least 128 villagers. Of course, in the UK the disaster led to major changes to the ways in which mine wastes are managed, and there has been no repeat of this dreadful accident. Since the accident, coal spoil tips have been treated as engineering structures requiring proper design and maintenance. A Derelict Land Unit was setup in Cardiff not long after the disaster to restore brownfield land, including former sites of collieries and land used by the coal industry. New ways to dispose of colliery spoils have also been developed.

You have to wonder if due diligence and engineering protocols were followed in the planning and siting of the Stainforth tip. Thank God no lives were lost.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

giner wrote:In an accompanying article about Aberfan, it reports on the shameful behaviour of the then National Coal Board, its chairman, and the UK government. It also states the following:

The Aberfan Disaster also led to detailed studies of the behaviour of mine waste, and in particular of their potential to undergo apparently spontaneous catastrophic collapse. Research into this mechanism continues today, but sadly mine waste failures remain common, especially in less developed countries. For example, in September 2008 a mine waste landslide struck the village of Taoshi in the Shaanxi province of China, killing at least 128 villagers. Of course, in the UK the disaster led to major changes to the ways in which mine wastes are managed, and there has been no repeat of this dreadful accident. Since the accident, coal spoil tips have been treated as engineering structures requiring proper design and maintenance. A Derelict Land Unit was setup in Cardiff not long after the disaster to restore brownfield land, including former sites of collieries and land used by the coal industry. New ways to dispose of colliery spoils have also been developed.

You have to wonder if due diligence and engineering protocols were followed in the planning and siting of the Stainforth tip. Thank God no lives were lost.

Hear Hear Giner
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.