4 wheel platform trolleys

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

4 wheel platform trolleys

Post by chaz harrison »

Can anybody help me with references/links/info on the parcels trolleys of the type that can be seen in many pictures taken at Kings X and elsewhere in steam days.
What I'm really after is either a dimensioned drawing or sketch or at least a good photo from which I could prepare a drawing myself. I want some 7mm models for my exhibition layout, Dock Green but haven't been able to find either a kit of a ready-made - sack barrows and 2 wheel carts, yes, but the 4 wheel trolley with one axle pivotted to steer, no.

Chaz
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 4 wheel platform trolleys

Post by 65447 »

There are three Barrow diagrams that might fit the requirement, do you have a photograph?

Heavy Scotch Barrow, 8' platform with open frame at one end (and rounded corners to frame)
Trolley Barrow, 6' platform no end frames
Large Trolley Barrow, 7' 6" platform no end frames

They could still be GNR pattern of course...
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Thanks for the reply.
problem is that I can't post photos from books without infringing copyright

the barrows/trolleys I have in mind have frames at both ends

excellent picture on P17 of Peter Coster's "Book of the Great Northern - part one"
also visible in the mlk churns photo in the Kings X section of the BBC Hulton "LNER reflections" - this book has no page numbers!

I was wrong in my initial description
correct description is:
fixed wheels at one end
castor type at the other
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

I think you can post a part of a photo without ruffling any feathers! See johnathan's postings on the subject of the Dia 86 General Van.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

OK, here's a part photo showing the style of trolley...

Quite a lot of work to scratchbuild a batch but I'm game, if I can get a few dimensions.

Chaz
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Hmmm... they do not exactly match any of the barrows in the LNER Diagram book.

All of the LNER Scotch Barrows, the closest design, do not have projecting 'solebars' with rod braces to the ends but rather the ends are flush with metal knees supporting the ends. Also the towing eye or handles are probably local modifications. I would guess that these are GNR originals, not surprising since they were all built to last. Here's the LNER diagram, that will at least give you an idea if not an exact match...
LNER Barrow Dia. 3 (part).jpg
ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ten ten »

Just a thought- I've seen some platform trolleys very similar and painted red on other regions- did they possibly belong to the GPO? Its possible your nearest heritage railway has one or two.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

You've hit it ten ten
Our local station had a big mail sorting office next door. There were always several red wooden framed barrows stacked high with mailbags on the platforms.
Earlswood Nob
Andy W
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Andy W »

If you have a look in the photographs section on this website and the "Return to Grantham" thread, on pages 1 to 3 there are some good pictures of an open ended GN type, a standard LNER type (very good side-on view to scale off from) and a GPO style high ended version, complete with towing handle.

The ones pictured at KX would be towed by trucks, hence the towing hooks and pin couplers. The ones at Grantham look as if they are purely for pulling or pushing by hand.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Many thanks for the help chaps. Especially for the diagram which will be very helpful. I'm quite happy to use this as the design for the barrows on Dock Green.

Chaz
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

I approached Peter Harvey to see if he could do some brass etches for me for the barrows, and after some email traffic back and forth, he has produced some quite exquisite etches which I received yesterday. Here's a photo of one of them.

He has worked from the diagram that 65447 very kindly posted and, as you can see, has been very faithful to it. I do hope my forming and soldering skills will do his excellent design work justice. As I have nine to build (nine fitted nicely on a full sheet) I may well knock up an aluminium assembly jig or two. I will post a snap of the first build when time allows.

Chaz
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Oh you mean one of these?
Scotch Barrow.jpg
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Bill Bedford wrote:Oh you mean one of these?
Scotch Barrow.jpg
Yes Bill, one of those (although if you check the LNER diagram you will see that the wheels do not project outside the area of the floor). Can I ask what scale is your model and what material is it made from?

Chaz
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

It's 4mm, and 3D printed. But it's really too fragile for anything other than taking photos of.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Interesting Bill. So is the material a sort of plastic or a resin or what? And is it made all of a piece or is it separate pieces which are assembled later?

I can certainly see why it might be fragile if the scale is 4mm.

Chaz