4mm White metal loco crew

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2512silverfox

4mm White metal loco crew

Post by 2512silverfox »

I am producing a brief article for the model press on the availability and painting of white metal (or pewter) loco crew for populating our locos. I

I already have examples of the Monty's range from Dart castings, the three Stephens sets from Mainly Trains, the one Gibson set and a Langley set. Can anyone add to those please? Not looking at plastic figures at the moment; they do not take to being painted quite so readily.

Nick
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 4mm White metal loco crew

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up, 2512!

Try this guy: [urhttp://www.aidan-campbell.co.uk/76catalogue.html][/url]

Excellent character studies.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
silverlink
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by silverlink »

Peter Goss of 'Rowlands Castle' fame does one or two different sets.
Cheers
silverlink
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

There are also some figures called 'Masterpiece' - afraid I can't recall where I bought them or anything else about the supplier. He may have been called 'Falcon' in the past and ISTR reading a thread which mentioned him on RMWeb very recently.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I believe Falcon as well?, never seen any and I dont think he has a webpage. Think they maybe for specific Locos ?

Aidan Campbell figures are poor with huge heads IMHO.

Rowlands castle ones have weird "shovels" whick look like a cheese wedge not easy to alter as tight on the bodies.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Possibly Springside, with strangely short stumpy legs? Or are they only available ready-painted and therefore outside the scope of the article, even if they are whitemetal?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

dont forget if ye'r modelling Tornado or other modern steam railtours theres more than 2 in the cab.

mr B
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

[quote="2512silverfox"]I am producing a brief article for the model press on the availability and painting of white metal (or pewter) loco crew for populating our locos.

Slightly off topic, but I recall discussing figures on model railways with David Jenkinson, we agreed the more static the pose the better, engine crew included. Not quite Jack Dugdale - if I have that name right. Did you have the same conversation Nick?

John
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

I did have a conversation with Jenks over several bottles of red wine about this subject but it has taken me a long time to get round to doing something about it. I am not the first to cover the subject either I know!

Thank you all for the rest of your input, I will research some of them further and report back. However, I have to agree about the Aiden Campbell figures which do not to me look anatomically correct!
jukebox
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jukebox »

2512silverfox wrote:I did have a conversation with Jenks over several bottles of red wine about this subject but it has taken me a long time to get round to doing something about it. I am not the first to cover the subject either I know!

Thank you all for the rest of your input, I will research some of them further and report back. However, I have to agree about the Aiden Campbell figures which do not to me look anatomically correct!
Indeed... spot the A/C's:

Never mind that they've all apparently been to the zoo, and trod the something in the elephant's enclosure.... :wink:
If a Thompson rebuild is the answer... the question must have been daft to begin with!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Nick,

I hope this isn't too late for you but at Peterborough I discovered that both Mike Russell (DMR) and Gary Wells (247) sell loco crews. I acquired one packet of each - they both sell more than one set - if you would like pictures.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Many thanks for that info,. I will chase it up. The best I have found so far, taking into account proprtion, etc are definitely Monty's with the Mainly Trains ones not far behind.

Nick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

jwealleans wrote:Nick,

I hope this isn't too late for you but at Peterborough I discovered that both Mike Russell (DMR) and Gary Wells (247) sell loco crews. I acquired one packet of each - they both sell more than one set - if you would like pictures.
Yes please JW
M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by M Gair »

I have 3 pkts of P & D Marsh Loco crews. see: pdmarshmodels.com

Mark in OZ
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Now I look at them out of the packets, I think these may both be from the same manufacturer.

The ones 247 sell:

The back of the label gives the manufacturer as a G Stevens with a Cornwall address.

This is the set I got from DMR:

The style looks very similar.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.