Super Claud /Claud HAmilton looking for info

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Scrat
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Super Claud /Claud HAmilton looking for info

Post by Scrat »

Hi,

I am working on a 5" gauge Super Claud.

Tender is still in the workshop so we used another one for the test.

Some sources state that the running boards were black on top. Can anyone provide more info on that? Does this also apply to the top of the splashers/valances?
I am still looking for any useful picture/drawing/sketch of a matching headlamp.

Which running number would be appropriate for a D16.2 that "would have made it into preservation"?

Which shedplates would be correct?

Best regards from Germany (raining again...)

Scrat
Last edited by Scrat on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
If brute force doesn´t work, you´re just not using enough of it!
S.A.C. Martin

Re: Super Claud /Claud HAmilton looking for info

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

What you have there Scrat is a Super-Claud D16/2. This is the LNER's rebuild of the D15s with the extended smokebox and belpaire boiler.

Your model as depicted in your photograph is not entirely correct, with the GER blue and the extended smokebox combination. You can have one, or the other, but not both.

The D16/2 combination (which you have) has a belpaire firebox and an extended smokebox. This means it must depict (to be historically accurate) one of the D15s rebuilt after 1923 and before 1931. These locomotives would have only worn LNER apple green livery in that time period, so GER blue is not suitable.

These were the D16/2s in British Railway days too, and most were never rebuilt further to the D16/3 spec, so a D16/3 number won't be suitable for your model. A D16/2 number would be, however, in the appropriate LNER apple green livery or British Railways mixed traffic lined black livery.

However, if the intention is to showcase the GER blue, more power to your elbow sir as it's a terrific livery. That being the case, a number appropriate to the GER built D15s would seem logical, bearing in mind they would never have appeared in this livery in that form.

May I add, I think it's an absolutely stunning model.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It does look a fine model, and I think they looked better in the GER Blue livery :-)

Shame none survived into preservation... (there's a new-build group though)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Scrat
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Scrat »

Hi folks,

still looking for info on the paintjob of the running boards. She´s all blue now (except for the dome cover which ist still in (blue) primer.

I tried some setups by shopping the picture. Which version do you think is correct?

Best regards

Scrat
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm guessing, but I think version 1 but with the rear corners black as you've done in the last one

I also think your blue might be a bit light, but that may be the camera or lighting.

Buckjumper of this parish is probably the best man to help you.
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by owd sweedy »

If you are staying with the blue livery, then the the black on the running boards should extend over the wheel and the coupling rod splashers and include the front of the cab. The frames above the running board should be blue, not black. The steps should also be black.
Cheers,
Owd Sweedy
Scrat
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Scrat »

owd sweedy wrote:If you are staying with the blue livery, then the the black on the running boards should extend over the wheel and the coupling rod splashers and include the front of the cab. The frames above the running board should be blue, not black. The steps should also be black.
Cheers,
Owd Sweedy
Where did you find this information? I painted the wheel splashers blue according to this plate:

Did not get around to change the frame colour yet.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

The footplate should be black but not the splasher tops. The colour, which is difficult to match, should be much darker and the front (and rear) guard irons red to match the buffer beams. This shows up in the print.

The GER locos in the NRM collection viewed from a short distance, appear almost black.
Scrat
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Scrat »

The loco is much darker than it appears in the photos, but this is all my cheap digital cam will do.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

While doing my 4470, I was on the hunt for GER blue too. What I found was that GNER blue (as applied to the class 91s) was so close as to be not worth arguing over.

As for the splashers, gut feeling is blue sides, black footplate tops and possibly a matt black?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by owd sweedy »

These photos show Shop Grey applied to 1813 in order to show the standard GER Blue livery and lining in an "official" photograph. That which is painted grey, would show where it was be painted blue, (Ultramarine blue I believe, on a grey undercoat), that which is black would be black and the red would be Buffer beams, and guard iron and coupling rods. I think you can see from these photos that the tops of the splashers and the cab fronts were black. By 1914 this blue livery was no longer being applied and loco were running in grey undercoat and black until the grouping.
Also Scrat the boiler bands were not polished brass and you need one more.
Between 2008 and 2009 Mr Lyn D Brooks of the Great Eastern Railway Society wrote perhaps the definitive article on the Claud Hamiltons, I don't have access to mine at the moment.

Owd Sweedy.
Attachments
GER 1.jpg
GER 2.jpg
Scrat
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Scrat »

Hi folks,

just received an email with even more pictures. These were taken by Johannes "Yorkshireman" Grabsch at the NRM.

The cab windows are different from what In know (and what is in my set of plans).
This one also has a black cab front which before owd sweedy´s post I had never seen before.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I must have walked past that model but had no recollection of it (unless they've only just moved it to a display location).

The cab windows are a different shape because yours has the Belpaire firebox; this one has the original round-topped version.
Dman-lewis
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Dman-lewis »

That nrm blue is wrong apparently. It should be in a darker Royal Blue.

Preservation number would be 8782, as this one was going to be saved.
Shed plate was kings lynn or cambridge area I think.

You should have 12 different liverys for the d16/2 that you have built. The blue was D14.
LNER green
LNER green with white roof.
LNER war black
LNER black
LNER black with red lining
BR (LNER) green
" white roof
BR black small crest
2 Big crest
BR lined black
3 others which I can't think of but are variations of the above colours.

I hope I have helped in some what.
Dan (Claud Hamilton Locomotive Group.)(Without his book)