Silver Fox Pub Finsbury Park?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Marx
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Silver Fox Pub Finsbury Park?

Post by Marx »

I wonder if anyone can recall an 'Art Deco public bar' opposite Finsbury Park station, and in the actual forecourt....................
I think from memory, that it was called either the Silver Fox, or Silver link?
The pub sinage was in chrome (LNER style?) I seem to remember a chrome silver fox but time is the greatest eraser of memory..................as we know!
Now sadly gone, or renamed, I passed it many times but never went in. It was obviously associated with the trains/engines that passed through Finsbury Park in the 1930s.............
If anyone could throw some light on the history, or name, I would be most greatful.

Kindest regards
Marx
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Silver Fox Pub Finsbury Park?

Post by hq1hitchin »

It was called the Silver Bullet, Marx and looked rather art deco from the outside, although I never went in. Can't help with the history of the pub but can be pretty sure it was named after The Silver Jubilee train.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/ ... 7317c8.jpg
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
Marx
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Marx »

Ah.Many,many thanks hq1hitchin.Yes,I recall now..................

Marx
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

It was a big favourite with Kings Cross Guards and Drivers and I remember on at least one occasion a Guard whose nickname was "The Drunken Tramp" went missing for the train he was supposed to relieve at Finsbury Park and they found him sozzled in the "Bullet".
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

...Not the chap also known as 'Catweazle' by any chance? ... whom I first, and often, met in another capacity, in early '70s I think, at the Barnet Model Railway Club. (This gent was well-spoken, and sounded well-educated; not at all the sort of person you would expect if judging by his appearance alone.)
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

StevieG wrote:...Not the chap also known as 'Catweazle' by any chance? ... whom I first, and often, met in another capacity, in early '70s I think, at the Barnet Model Railway Club. (This gent was well-spoken, and sounded well-educated; not at all the sort of person you would expect if judging by his appearance alone.)
No lolz! We used to have a guy nicknamed Catweazle at London Bridge and one of the RMT guys raised a query from him about accidentally getting splashed with cleaning fluid going through the carriage washer!