LNER Branch Line Operations

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

tommyg1992
LNER N2 0-6-2T

LNER Branch Line Operations

Post by tommyg1992 »

Im modeling a layout based on Cromer Beach with a few alterations I have a branch line running off and i was wondering did the LNER have anything like the GWR who had B sets

could some one please tell me wether anything like this exsisted and what coaches they would of been made up of

thanks

Tom :)
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Branch Line Operations

Post by 65447 »

Push-pull fitted loco with 2 carriages. Alternatively as per Framlingham, Aldeburgh, etc. branches, a loco with 2-3 carriages.

Various combinations of loco and carriage types; what period are you modelling as that makes a difference to the information?
tommyg1992
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tommyg1992 »

1954 onwards can you also tell me when the BR MK1s came in confused on that and the acc rake like wha they were like comp brake etc

tom
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi Tom.
The BR mark 1 caoches were not introduced until 1954, and then they were intended for mainline operation. It would be very rare in the early days for them to appear on branchlines. Branchlines tended to use either specific non-corridor stock, or old mainline stock that was cascaded down and new and more modern stock appreared (such as the mark 1's).

Branchline workings with coaches tended to be 2 or 3 coaches - one of which must be a brake - some lines worked with only 1 brake coach.

So in all you can use anything from former GER caoches to the LNER standard stock.

Hope this helps
Andy
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

This question of coaching stock often comes up on another site. With mainly Mk.I coaches on offer in 4mm scale, its all down to those pesky proprietory manufacturers not offering coaches for the 'Big Four' to match their engines. It is up to modellers to build their requirements if Hornby and Bachmann don't. There are plenty of etched sides and kits on the market for Thompson, Gresley and LNER constituent companies stock for anyone handy with a soldering iron, glue and paint. :)
tommyg1992
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tommyg1992 »

yeah it does alot thanks andy :) on my layout i have a coast terminal with a branch line terminating anda secondry mainline on the secrodry mainline would there of been some mk1s or mostly ex LNER corridor stock

Tom
tommyg1992
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tommyg1992 »

oh and you said about LNER Standard stock would that include Thompsons coaches or would they have been used with the MK1s

Thanks again

Tom
tommyg1992
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tommyg1992 »

Oh and the other question of mine liveries . . .

Im planning to buy kits from Comets Models

but what livery would they have been in in 1954
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thompson and Gresley stock would have been crimson. Any pregrouping stock still in use brown.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

jwealleans wrote:Thompson and Gresley stock would have been crimson.
Yep
Any pregrouping stock still in use brown.
Well, maybe older stock (preWW1) was certainly brown, but some of the later builds were crimson, especially around Manchester and in Scotland.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

True, Bill, but the OP mentioned the GE area, so I made an assumption. If he could be more specific I'm sure we could point him to useful photo collections.
Dman-lewis
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Dman-lewis »

By this time would there still have been M&GN stuff about or would LNER have changed everything?
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

jwealleans wrote:True, Bill, but the OP mentioned the GE area, so I made an assumption. If he could be more specific I'm sure we could point him to useful photo collections.
I'm not sure I know a reliable way of distinguishing brown and crimson in black and white photos.
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

Bill B said :
I'm not sure I know a reliable way of distinguishing brown and crimson in black and white photos.
That is one of the perenial problems. :? All I can add is, if a coach has its running number in BR Gill Sans it could be brown or it could be BR carmine red, but if a coach has LNER style of transfer with an 'E prefix, it would definitely be brown. Brown lasted quite a long time on the GE section, as it did on ex GC lines.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Returning to the OP, I've been giving this some thought but am a little frustrated by the context and the lack of knowledge of the scale of the layout and the level of skill of the modeller - apologies Tom but these are very relevant pieces of information.

Problem 1 is that Cromer Beach was itself a 'branch' spur off the former M&GN line. This requires a different approach to the usual ex-GER lines.

Problem 2 is that expressed above - to recommend practical possibilities for a fictional branch requires both of those pieces of information. Why? Because a strong possibility would be a Push-Pull or Motor Train set, as per the South Lynn-King's Lynn service, but that would require an N7 which is not available in 4mm scale although the ex-Ian Kirk kits could supply the carriages. A combined ex-GE and ex-LNER pair of carriages is also possible, as the earlier Motor Trains, but these were generally coupled to an F5, which is also not available in 4mm scale. A J15 is also an unlikely possibility, although the 4mm scale Gibson kit is being produced in batches, whereas an Ivatt loco, possibly available RTR, might be.

A more viable and practical alternative could be an early DMU, the Class 105/6 Cravens units were produced in bulk for the M&GN and models are available as a kit from DC Kits or RTR from Bachmann due at the end of the year:

Bachmamn Class 105

Back to you Tom...