LNER D2

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NSR
NER Y7 0-4-0T

LNER D2

Post by NSR »

Hi,
I recently bought an LNER D3 loco kit:

The kit was listed as a D3, but I now believe it to be an Ivatt D2 (since the boiler does not overhang the front). I now have the kit and chassis up to a running standard, and am looking at giving the loco a paint job. However, after doing some research I found the following on www.railuk.co.uk:

"Generally the class had raised running plates over the coupling rods. A few however had flat running plates."

My first question is, am I right in thinking that the loco is a D2 and not a D3? Secondly, does anyone know which D2's actually had flat running plates? I am looking at a similar livery to that of the Bachmann LNER Black K3 as I wish to put the model in the sort of era which would have seen it running on the North Staffs line (1930's). Ideally, I would like a model with straight frames so that I dont have to cut away at the current body to get a raised running plate.

There seems to be some information on the internet, but not loads. I have seen a model of one posted on these forums in BRITISH RAILWAYS livery, which has straight frames. However, I do not know the LNER number of this model, also the safety valve appears different?!?

Any help would be appreciated, it runs smashing around my layout and doesnt put a foot wrong. I would just like to get a decent finish on it now.
gresleybear
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by gresleybear »

Congratulations on your Ivatt 4-4-0. As you are discovering, it is difficult to decide in which class your model belongs. The surest way to tell is by measuring the length of the coupling rods, which was 8'3" (33mm) for all D-3's and 9'0" (36mm) for all D-2's. Now for the running plates. Most D-3's had flat plates, except 4320 and 4351-60. On the other hand, most D-2's had raised running plates, except 4321-5, which had the flat plates of your model. Hope this helps.