Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Our Grantham mob (plus a man who is an expert in building locos and taking photographs) was discussing Z's and S3's a couple of weeks ago, specifically the problem of the cylinders being in the way of the bogie on DJH models. It occurred to me that whilst it would be a bit of a faff to do it, were you to cut away the whitemetal running plate above the cylinders and slidebars, replacing this with flat sheet plus thin strip for the valance, you could then move the cylinders up until almost 50% out-of-sight behind the deep valance (like the real ones) and potentially have more room for the bogie wheels.
I do wonder if it doesn't help the cylinders are in the wrong place on the kit...far too low but it's how the kits been designed.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/6878 ... 62d6_o.jpg
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I had thought of trying to do something like that with the cylinders when I rebuild mine.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

2750 wrote:
Atlantic 3279 wrote:Our Grantham mob (plus a man who is an expert in building locos and taking photographs) was discussing Z's and S3's a couple of weeks ago, specifically the problem of the cylinders being in the way of the bogie on DJH models. It occurred to me that whilst it would be a bit of a faff to do it, were you to cut away the whitemetal running plate above the cylinders and slidebars, replacing this with flat sheet plus thin strip for the valance, you could then move the cylinders up until almost 50% out-of-sight behind the deep valance (like the real ones) and potentially have more room for the bogie wheels.
I do wonder if it doesn't help the cylinders are in the wrong place on the kit...far too low but it's how the kits been designed.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/6878 ... 62d6_o.jpg
I attempted to solve this problem here..... David's A8
I could have done it better, but it does seem to work.

This was very much a prototype for an attempt at a C7 or a B16. All the NER three cylinder engines seem to present the same problem
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

This is what is needed aversion of this

http://52fmodels.sharepoint.com/Pages/A8.aspx

Well at least mine has their tender chassis !!.

The DJH version footplate is almost as thick as the side view in the photos , I decided that the body is so poor it wasnt worth anymore effort. It also has 12mm bogie wheels (DJH sell them with that size) not the correct 14mm . I tried a set of 14mm and they will not even clear the footplate let alone turn into a bend.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Very interesting loco Mick - not sure I'm aware of having seen it modelled before.

Looking forward to seeing the next stages.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Post war locos
A4 Sir Ronald Mathews and Walter K Whigham converted from Railroad bodies and repainted Tenders.
9.jpg
11.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

1947 Humorist .

Delayed from last year waiting for the Smoke Deflectors. Brassmasters steps and other detail parts. Numbers line up on model presumably lens distortion.
10.jpg
Last edited by mick b on Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Commision for Jim .

D16 Golden Arrow Resin body fitted to Hornby 2P chassis and Tender
13.jpg
12.jpg
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Sir Ronald Matthews looks excellent Mick. Pleased to see one of my conversion etches see the light of day elsewhere. It looks like I may have some of etch 3 left after I've finished the first round of orders this week, so if you want more cab spectacle etches drop me a line.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

All beautifully finished as always Mick! :D

Very pleased with the Claud - it will be interesting to compare detail with Hornby's version if and when it arrives!
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Lovely work Mick, what transfers have you used on the Claud, is it all HMRS?
Tom Foster
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

2750 wrote:Lovely work Mick, what transfers have you used on the Claud, is it all HMRS?

HMRS for lettering and numbers. Fox lining.

cheers
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

mick b wrote:
2750 wrote:Lovely work Mick, what transfers have you used on the Claud, is it all HMRS?

HMRS for lettering and numbers. Fox lining.

cheers
Thanks Mick

Which transfer sheet would it be on Fox's site. Not the easiest site to navigate.
Tom Foster
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Tom

Lining in red - GUARANTEED COLOUR MATCH - ALL ON ONE SHEET 20 Fine lines, 298mm x 0.35mm Plus Radius Corners, 3 sizes (72 x 1mm, 36 x 2mm & 20 x 5mm approx)

Code: FG1596 @ £11.80 :? :?

There are other shapes/sheets depending on your needs . Look at General purpose Lining section then click colour you need. Compared to some of Fox items they are quite tough and fairly easy to use, as usual with Fox a tad expensive :shock: .
I havent found any anywhere thinner in width than these sheets, these are useable the only other ones which are thinner in width are HMRS sadly they are so opaque on the LNER lining sheet to be useless.
I also used the Fox Silver version on my Silver Jubilee coaches from a while back.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Thanks Mick, I've found it.

Did you use that for all the curvatures on the frames and cab etc. I'm guessing some required more work than others to get the desired curvature.
Tom Foster