Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by mick b »

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Proof positive that an A4 can look good in plain black.

Well done, mick! :D
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Battling with this !!

A R&E GCR Horsebox recently bought from Brassmasters. This is a re release of a old kit and it shows !!. Diabolical castings, parts that dont fit, misaligned etches and nonsense instructions.
Luckily Steve Banks did a article in Model Rail Feb 2004 which Jonathan Jwelleans kindly supplied a cpoy off. This outlines the faults and luckily suggests replacement parts from the MJT range which are excellent. The Brass is too soft a attempt to form body rivets resluted in the brass deforming. I will add these using Archer rivets in due course !!.

Very surprised that Brassmasters re released these kits , nowhere near their usual quality products.
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
Last up another NRM Scotsman under the knife . This will become Windsor Lad. Anyone got a spare Superdetail non corridor tender ??!! Please :D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Wow, 4498 looks great :D Only one problem with it, the nameplates are too far forward and (in 4mm) should cut through the first boiler band
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks will amend. :oops:
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Horsebox is looking good, Mick. The kits aren't Brassmasters' own, they're produced by a chap called Robin Peover as a bit of a cottage industry. They went out of production due to his ill health so if they're available again then hopefully that's good news about him. He also offered the bogie fish van, a goods brake van and one or two covered vans IIRC - all GC prototypes.

I should also mention that the kit for that really nice meat van has been acquired by and will be available from the GCRS in due course.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Jonathan
Yes I understand your point but they are very poor compared with say a D&S model. They are slightly better than the dreaded Jidenco !!.
No idea why they have been remade in such poor quality Brass as an example.
For your info the W irons are two different widths.I tried to use MJT versions but are two high so had to use the originals. Internal partition is too wide.You will need all the castings as per article recomendations ( I will take a comparison picture before I bin the originals). I attempted to solder the door beading on but gave up as impossible for me!! All the add on etchings with added with superglue much easier!!
I realised that Brassmasters were only acting as middle man ,but the kits do their reputation no good. I am sad to say.

Good news re kit availablity for the future from GCRS . I still have another one to make in my pile !!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Re Horsebox

Standard of castings. As supplied on left and MJT replacements. The round blob bottom left is supposed to be a Vacumn Brake cylinder !!.
1.jpg
Re named Sir Nigel Gresley.
2.jpg
3.jpg

I was lucky as I hadnt placed any glue on the far ends of the plates on both sides :shock:

I have had for the second time the Tender causing a short on the A4 as it is wired up the "wrong" way round. It would appear that Railroad Loco chassis are wired the "wrong" way but still runs correctly!! Easy fix just swop the wires over in the tender. Luckily it wont be used on any other Loco due to the livery. I also tried another Tender with the same short as a result. This was from a superdetail Loco.
Last edited by mick b on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Hi Mick

What radius curves do you have for the A4 to get around with the Cylinder pipes in place?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

David

She runs fine on a 2ft 6 inch radius . I havent anything tighter to try on.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

SNG looks very businesslike Mick! How's the C7 coming along?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Jim
C7 hasnt been touched, it will be a winter project probably.Awful Tender has been ebayed, I still need to buy a new one from Alexander Models which is much more accurate. I have also bought some brass detail castings from Arthur Kimber to correct some detail on the the Loco.

cheers
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Horsebox done.
1.jpg
2.jpg
6.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

LNER Horsebox line up

Parkside ,Two D&S NER versions and GCR version to right.
3.jpg
Small Horsebox train with a some Hornby GWR versions.
4.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Very nice line up of horse boxes.............................off to Newmarket are we !!!! :P

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.