2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: 50A York 'LEAMAN ROAD' MPD

Post by Tom F »

Ah right. It's only because I'm watching my finances, otherwise I'd have another Tim conversion after
Herringbone! ;)
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Further to my last few posts, something that LNER forum members may not be aware of is in the New Year Rmweb member James is doing engineer drawings for a new Locomotive Shed, using York architecture as the basis (Queen Street buildings) which will then be laser cut.

The scenic break on the layout is to be a road bridge. James is a signalman and as it happens the bridge by the signal box is perfect (and typical NER) so that will also be used as the basis for Leaman Road's bridge.
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Feeling generally crap at the moment. Pretty low and peeved off! Possibly due to on going medication I started 3 weeks ago.
Anyhow to pick myself up, I have taken some photos this evening, and they have certainly helped to lighten my mood.

B16s, that class that always know how to put a smile on my face.

Rather pleased with 61071 and this photo. Shows up what a wonderful model the Hornby B1 is.

On the far side of the yard, one of 52A's A4s waits patiently.

York's one and only Peppercorn A2, 60526 moves on Shed from the Coaling Tower.
Tom Foster
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Great photos!

The Hornby B1 really seems to have a certain 'fine' quality to it that I can't seem to put my finger on, made even better by your excellent weathering.
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

will5210 wrote:Great photos!

The Hornby B1 really seems to have a certain 'fine' quality to it that I can't seem to put my finger on, made even better by your excellent weathering.
Thanks Will

I must admit I'm very pleased with my weathering on 61071! :D
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

I apologise as this is identical to the post on RMweb, but for those not on there, it makes sense to post the entire thing. :)

With Leaman Road's current loco fleet mostly weathered I've been turning my attention towards my carriage sidings. As you may have seen there are few coaches in the sidings, but only one is weathered. I'll be quite honest when I say this is something I know little to nothing about. One of the things I enjoy about this hobby is doing the research.

I have been having numerous PM conversations on Rmweb with Larry Godard (coachman) this past week, which have proved very useful regarding teak condition and BR livery application. BR started painting new stock from April 1949 onwards with older stock also starting to get the new liveries. I've therefore worked out that by 1950 75% of coaching stock would roughly have been in teak, while 25% would have been repainted. This I will add is a rough estimate.

Teak apparently darkened with age so I've also been using this information, plus looking at a few colour images I have from the late 40s to get the desired effect I'm after. I already have 6 post war teak Hornby Gresleys (from two 'Rare Bird packs). My Christmas request to family was some more post war teaks, if one looks on ebay there are a few sellers splitting the N2 Olympic set that Hornby released last year. Three Composite 3rds please!

Above is the results from my weathering last night and I would be interested to know what people thought, as weathering coaches is a very new area to me. I firstly used Klear on the coach sides and once dry I applied the airbrush. Then using a flat brush with thinners I streaked and let the paint run into all the nooks and crannies. This was repeated several times before moving on to the under frames and corridor ends. The roof was streaked with a brush with metalcote, then airbrushed again to tone the streaking down plus I lightly brushed the roof with powders to create a light dusting of soot on top.

I was going to use Klear again on the coach sides, but I've decided otherwise on this particular example. The next one I may Klear twice to give each coach a slightly different look. I'm probably in the minority but I do like post war teak without the lining!

Cheers
Tom Foster
All thumbs
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by All thumbs »

The pictures look great so clearly you haven't got much more to learn! I hope you only put ash in the ashtrays of the smoking compartments... :wink:

Seriously, some questions spring to mind.
* When did the labelling (class designation, (non-)smoking) on the windows change?
* When was '3' dropped from the doors?
* Did the express teak corridors ever get out-shopped in all-over brown? If so, when and for how long?
Be gentle! Returning to the hobby after more than 20 years away...
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The effect looks right to my eyes Tom, and buying them new and pristine at typical current retail prices then doing them yourself would appear to save at least £10 per coach compared to pre-weathered examples for sale on the "All Change" models stand at Wakefield show this weekend.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I hope you don't mind me posting these here, because you've inspired me Tom :) Here's the result of some novice work with just powders, a damp brush and some kitchen roll. There will evidently be tweaking over the week to this on some panels where the weathering is too uneven and too heavy, but I love the effect I've got on the roof, especially with the heavier deposit at the loco end:
Teak weathering 1.jpg
teak weathering 3.jpg
teak weathering 4.jpg
And a comparison shot with a factory finish teak:
Teak weathering 2.jpg
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Of course I don't mind! :)

As a matter of fact, your method is exactly how I started out 3 years ago. When the time feels right, I think you will enjoy the step up to airbrush but only when it feels right mind. :)
Tom Foster
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I might when I get the courage to :)

What I like about my current method is that it's 90% reversible. It can be all scrubbed off with a damp paper towel, and you're left with the factory finish, albeit a bit duller. I've done the whole process with 902 Wellington, just to get rid of the sheen :)
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

With Another Gresley now finished, I decided to place both on the layout. The weather would have been lovely today to take a photo of the Brake 3rd, but sadly I left the house at dawn, and arrived back home at dusk. Maybe over the weekend I can grab a shot outside.

Anyhow here are both coaches on Leaman Road. I'm really happy with the sheen on the Brake 3rd, I wanted a nice contrast with the rather grubby teak next to her.
I decided to take some slightly obscure photos, as the coaches are mostly obscured by locomotives, so I thought it would be nice if the photos reflected that.

60977 sidles off shed.

61084 at rest.
Tom Foster
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I love those shots, so atmospheric! Great job done on those teaks too!
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Yes, very atmospheric shots, and good work on the coaches, seems a pity to just use them as a backdrop.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Afternoon all! :)

A few update I haven't put up on LNER forum.

I've been doing some more ballasting work as the weather has gone milder. I've now ballasted the engineer sidings and also done a section of the Carriage Sidings. I checked photos of the Leeman Road Carriage Sidings and it's clearly ballasted with fine black type ash which I've tried to replicate on the layout.

Here we see 61071 alongside the Carriage Sidings.

Further along we see the beautiful shape of a B16 in original condition. The Fireman is clearly proud of his locomotive.

Another view of 61071 but showing further ballasting I've done including the area behind the siding and up to the Carriage Works.

Yesterday my Pressfix LNER coach transfers arrived so I could finally finish postdating my LNER teak None Corridor Brake 3rd from being in 1920-30s condition...to being depicted in 1948-1950 condition. I had removed the lining with a flat headed screwdriver. With the for mentioned screwdriver and mircosol I removed the 3 from the doors and the original number seen as the coach had the pre 1943 numbers on it. This removed some of the teak finish which I then touched up.

Here is the results after Klear and weathering.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Tom Foster