P2 update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: P2 update

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A couple of further errors observed on Hornby's model, for the pedants amongst us. Something fresh to talk about instead of the smokebox door hinge and the missing handrail inside the right smoke-deflector...

1. The detachable panel in the cab roof that facilitated lifting on the real loco is modelled as if it extends right up the back edge of the ventilator housing. It is too long. It's front edge should be well to the rear of the ventilators.

2. Like every model of 2001 I've checked, despite the proper ovoid cross section, Hornby STILL haven't got the boiler right as they've modelled it with dead-straight sides from front to rear. The real ones, as discussed on here previously, had two opposite tapers in the clothing aft of the dome when seen from above, accommodating the greater width/diameter of the firebox throat plate compared to the rest of the boiler.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:A couple of further errors observed on Hornby's model, for the pedants amongst us. Something fresh to talk about instead of the smokebox door hinge and the missing handrail inside the right smoke-deflector...

1. The detachable panel in the cab roof that facilitated lifting on the real loco is modelled as if it extends right up the back edge of the ventilator housing. It is too long. It's front edge should be well to the rear of the ventilators.

2. Like every model of 2001 I've checked, despite the proper ovoid cross section, Hornby STILL haven't got the boiler right as they've modelled it with dead-straight sides from front to rear. The real ones, as discussed on here previously, had two opposite tapers in the clothing aft of the dome when seen from above, accommodating the greater width/diameter of the firebox throat plate compared to the rest of the boiler.
I wonder if the over wide front is to compensate for the over scale thickness deflectors, with them wishing to keep the smokebox door the correct size?
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Sniffer »

Hats off that you can spot that kind of thing. :shock:

But like many I'm sure, just loving the reality that I've got a P2 pulling my stock.

(Ooh - er matron stop messing about ! :lol: )
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Just had an e-mail from Hatton's to say my P2 is waiting to be collected from the shop. There is a God.

update
Just rung Hatton's to say I'll pick it up on Monday. They said they don't have it now as the card I'd ordered it with had expired and they'd given the P2 to someone else. I gave them a new card number last week. I now have to wait until they get the next batch.
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by 2006 »

Kestrel wrote: Just rung Hatton's to say I'll pick it up on Monday. They said they don't have it now as the card I'd ordered it with had expired and they'd given the P2 to someone else. I gave them a new card number last week. I now have to wait until they get the next batch.
Kestrel, please check your PMs :wink:
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Not going to get hearts racing as much as Graeme's excellent model I suspect, but here's my version of 2003 Lord President, quietly coming along in the background.

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

The P2 thread has gone quiet lately. Has anyone received one in the past month or so?

Just spoken to Hatton's. They are expecting a few hundred in soon, but don't know when. Mine's been on order for two years now.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A last look at the Lord President conversion test-piece with some shiny handrails tacked on, prior to the start of dismantling (which may not happen for a week or two now) for the purposes of recovering the master parts to allow the making of moulds

Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Certainly looks smart Atlantic3279. Even in this I take unfinished form. Let's hope that Hornby follow suite and make their own RTR version too along with Earl Marischal. 2002 I feel would be the easiest to make with little alterations to the moulds the main differance being the valve gear and "blinkers".
vcltel
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by vcltel »

What was the usual rake of coaches pulled by the P2s? I've a selection of Ian Kirk kit built 61'6" first and thirds and a Hornby Full Brake. Did they have sleepers or Buffet cars? Sorry about the idiot questions but I don't know where to look for the answers to them.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

vcltel wrote:What was the usual rake of coaches pulled by the P2s? I've a selection of Ian Kirk kit built 61'6" first and thirds and a Hornby Full Brake. Did they have sleepers or Buffet cars? Sorry about the idiot questions but I don't know where to look for the answers to them.
Yikes - that's a helluva question. Depends on which workings they were allocated, etc.

As a very basic reply, you could make up a classic daytime train from a combination of your brake coaches, firsts and thirds (more of the latter). There could be some form of catering provision, more likely a full kitchen/restaurant car than a buffet on a longer distance train. Sleepers would of course be found on certain overnight trains - given that the original P2's were built for operation on the Edinburgh-Aberdeen route then I presume they would have worked the 'Aberdonian' on the Edinburgh-Aberdeen leg. That was a very specific formation and quite a prestigious train and would have more sleeping cars than standard day coaches.

Your best bet might be to search photos of the originals and find a suitable, representative train to use as a basis. There are some pictures here:
http://www.p2steam.com/history/original-p2s

Hope that helps.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
vcltel
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by vcltel »

Thanks for the help, I guess I'll just have to get some more Kirk carriages to make a decent length train, I'm reluctant to mix the old Hornby/Railroad types with the nice ones. However I'm itching to get a really long rake hammering round the club layout so may do a bit of mix and match to see how much it can pull.
GeoffBird
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by GeoffBird »

Hallo to D14 - I had exactly the same problem with this supplier in Liverpool. Hoever, their latest staus update is "The R3207 is arriving with us in dribs and drabs and we are expecting more next week". Let's wait and see.

One thing about the detail of the P2, it doesn't seem to have the tablet catcher fitted to the left-handf side of the tender. Yeadon says that this was fitted very soon after its arrival in Scotland.