P2 update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: P2 update

Post by mick b »

LH Loveless have pictures of their O gauge version on their webpage which show the Hornby version appears to be correct, they have the Streamlined version of C of N still using a lower faring version. Looks like a conversion/repaint /better detailed of the Hornby P2 version in due course.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I am looking at 2002's tender which I believe according to Yeadon's is identical to 2001 - the consensus is I think that Hornby have got it right. This is something annoyingly as it means the tender can't be put behind a Gresley A1 or A3 just by changing the handrails, it can only represent 2001 or 2002. This leaves me with something of a dilemma - what to do with the spare Hornby tender from my Railroad 2001? I am using an A4 type tender, modified to represent 2003's similar (and later cut down) streamlined tender.

Interestingly I can see that 2005's tender in Yeadon's was clearly a more or less standard A4 tender as built, 2003 and 2004's were changed to match it prior to wartime black being applied. 2003's appears to have had its fairing over the water filler cap and at the front end cut back well before apple green was replaced by black, but when I cannot say as the dates are not given on the images in the Yeadon's volume.

Good spot though Mick, I had not realised that 2001 and 2002's tenders were not the same as the Gresley A1 non corridor type - I wonder why that was?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The only reason I can think off is that they were the prototypes .
The A3 type then came later with a extended fairing perhaps they realised they needed more Coal capacity or just to make them safer when full perhaps ?? :D

As to your Tender I don't think you would have a problem selling it , can't think of any other uses .!! :shock:
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Looking at Gresley Locomotives, Brian Haresnape, 2001 & 2002 certainly appear to have less pronounced fairings.

The 3/4 views of 2004 & 2006 are less clear but if I had to choose I'd say they were the same as their classmates.

Having said that, there are further photos of A4s with 1928 style corridor tenders that look remarkably similar to the pictures of 2001 & 2002.

Hmm, I thought I was going to be helpful when I started typing and now I've just circled around! :roll:
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Hi all.

I got Bachmann V2 valve gear & cylinders through the post today so I thought I'd post an update on my version of the Earl. Please note all paint is gloss so it makes my iffy paintwork look even iffier(?)
Cylinders & Deflectors are just bluetacked on to get a feel for how things look. Still much to do including more lining (inc wheels) & a little valve gear butchery.

Cheers
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Looks terrific Will - if it helps, here is a close up of my P2 showing where my valve gear is positioned relative to the cylinders.

Please excuse the angle of the valve gear Will, this has since been rectified. The slide bar needs to be trimmed as does the piston rod. The hole at the top of the bracket for the eccentric gear fits neatly onto the existing metal bracket already on the chassis.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Before condemning the new Hornby tender's shape and height on the basis of comparison with other models, it would be worth taking a careful look at drawings (such as Isinglass or better, if available) and thinking about the history of the eight wheeled tenders. Those for 2001 and 2002 were built before any of the streamlined tenders appeared with high front plates and high fairings. Hornby's tenders for the Pacifics appear to me to principally be an attempt to portray the tenders in post WW2 condition, by which time many of those originally built without streamlined fairings had been firstly equipped with full fairings to go behind A4s and had then had the fairings cut down to a more moderate level. The Hornby pacific tenders include what I believe to be errors brought about by reference to preserved examples whose altered tops have also been repaired in a not strictly original/authentic way. The front and rear plates plus the coal division plate on 2001's tender should follow a fairly low curve. I believe they are spot-on and would be the correct shape for use behind a pre-war Gresley A1 or A3 whose tender had not previously run behind an A4.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Before condemning the new Hornby tender's shape and height on the basis of comparison with other models, it would be worth taking a careful look at drawings (such as Isinglass or better, if available) and thinking about the history of the eight wheeled tenders. Those for 2001 and 2002 were built before any of the streamlined tenders appeared with high front plates and high fairings. Hornby's tenders for the Pacifics appear to me to principally be an attempt to portray the tenders in post WW2 condition, by which time many of those originally built without streamlined fairings had been firstly equipped with full fairings to go behind A4s and had then had the fairings cut down to a more moderate level. The Hornby pacific tenders include what I believe to be errors brought about by reference to preserved examples whose altered tops have also been repaired in a not strictly original/authentic way. The front and rear plates plus the coal division plate on 2001's tender should follow a fairly low curve. I believe they are spot-on and would be the correct shape for use behind a pre-war Gresley A1 or A3 whose tender had not previously run behind an A4.

What is needed is a separate book on LNER tenders.
Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Sniffer »

Woo ! and indeed hoo ! It arrived 10:10 am today direct from Hornby. :D
(Got a text message saying it would appear between 09:40 & 10:40.)

First impressions ?
Beautiful model which really captures the real thing, but you can see why it is cheaper than the A4's & A3's.

Nit picking really, can hardly believe I've got a RTR P2 sat on my kitchen table !

Unfortunately, I've got to do some work before I can power her up. :roll:
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all

I have looked at my drawing of the non-streamlined tenders of 2001/2.
The height of the Hornby tender displayed on here seem comparable with the drawing and that of the original W1 tender, which was also produced pre-A4.
The pics that I have of A1/3's with the earlier pre-A4 high sided non-corridor type also appear to have a smaller curve to the top of the sidesheets.

Earlswood nob
Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Sniffer »

Sniffer wrote:Woo ! and indeed hoo ! It arrived 10:10 am today direct from Hornby. :D
(Got a text message saying it would appear between 09:40 & 10:40.)

First impressions ?
Beautiful model which really captures the real thing, but you can see why it is cheaper than the A4's & A3's.

Nit picking really, can hardly believe I've got a RTR P2 sat on my kitchen table !

Unfortunately, I've got to do some work before I can power her up. :roll:
A trackside view from 80 years ago ?
Didn't realise but COTN hit the rails in 1934.

Was there a more imposing locomotive to grace the railways of Britain ?
Attachments
COTN_2.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

More details in my usual place.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

I am delighted to say that my P2 finally arrived over the weekend and I am thrilled with it!

Really enjoying watching all the conversions currently underway too.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Just spoken to Hatton's and they reckon they're getting more P2s in November. Couldn't say how far down in the queue I was as "only the manager has that information and he's off today."
Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Sniffer »

They told me 17th Nov earliest, which was when I decided enough was enough.

Ordered direct from Hornby for just £124.00 (free post) and it arrived in less than 5 days.
Depends whether you're set on Hattons pre-order price.
For what, £10 more I've already got mine.

Stuff em frankly. :wink: