Simon's LNER Blog - ECML/West Riding 1946-49

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Hornby Railroad D49 Conversion - The Morpeth

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Looking good, your last post has me intrigued, you can fit the wheels and axles into different positions, wouldn't take much to chop up a old B12 to fit, and seeing as D16's used to visit KX................. 8)

manna
I am hugely tempted to try that myself - I "made" a pretty basic D16/3 from a B12 many moons ago and have a mind to revisit it to put it on a better chassis, and rebuild it to better represent the prototype.

However I'm intrigued by the possibility of the D49 chassis fitting under a D11 bodyshell. I may post a few pics later on.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Maybe even a GN D1/2/3 !!! a whole new can of worms, has been (possibly) just been opened !!!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Next jobs to do are rivets, steps, buffers, front coupling, painting, lining out, weathering and sealing.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Has it really been over a year? Madness!

Anyway, here is the final part of this particular modelling story, the photograph above says it all I hope.

If you're wondering about the placement of the tender and cabside transfers, they are based on a photograph of 62768, and it looks just as odd and awkward in real life as it does on the model!

It's not a perfect model, but I'm just glad to have finally finished it.
Last edited by S.A.C. Martin on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

That looks rather good, now that's it's finished, well done. The year means nothing, some of mine have been going on for decades :shock:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thanks very much Manna :)
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Look how long the P2 has been "Under Construction!"
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi

Lovely. A first class job!

PP
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Looking very good Simon, and I'm glad that photo came in useful I sent you. I do think the D49s generally look very smart in mixed traffic livery. :)
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Very useful indeed Tom, many thanks. :)

The mixed traffic black was always the livery it was going into for me. The BR number plus LNER lettering is a nice oddball, but the mixed traffic lining really sets off the shape of this locomotive for me. Frankly, I still don't get how people castigate Thompson for this loco. It's a gem in terms of looks: looks very much like a more powerful Claud in many respects.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Very useful indeed Tom, many thanks. :)

The mixed traffic black was always the livery it was going into for me. The BR number plus LNER lettering is a nice oddball, but the mixed traffic lining really sets off the shape of this locomotive for me. Frankly, I still don't get how people castigate Thompson for this loco. It's a gem in terms of looks: looks very much like a more powerful Claud in many respects.
I agree with you, I don't find the rebuild ugly at all.

I have a tendency to agree with a dear modelling friend of mine, Mike Megginson that there isn't an ugly locomotive, they all have something special about them. Even locomotives some my find ugly like the Ivatt Class 4s and the Caprotti 5s. They all have something about them.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Nice work Simon! A unique model well worth the effort!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thank you kindly Earl :)

I think I'll do a proper D49 as future project, to partner the D Class. Having seen Micklner's D49 conversion (with the super detail A3 wheels) I know how I'll go about changing the wheels on any future D49.
S.A.C. Martin

Re: Simon's Locomotive Works - ECML/West Riding 1948-51

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Afternoon all,

For the benefit of a few members who've been asking about specific models, I've updated the OP of this thread and turned it into a copy of my workbench which can also be found on Modellers United - in turn, these two threads are links to my external blog where all my modelling is recorded.

And now for a picture and some links to my model of last Ivatt Atlantic in service, no.62822 as requested by a friend.

Part 1, Part 2