P2 update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: P2 update

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Atso wrote:Goodness me, Cock O' the North has only been out a week or two and already people are chopping it up...
Highly prototypical, as the first two were effectively test beds which evolved into the final interior and exterior form of the six in class (and even then they had some significant differences within class). It's got OVS Bulleid's characteristic modus operandi fingerprints all over it. If there is one thing that surprises me about the P2 adventure, it is that Bulleid didn't ask for a loan of one to try on the LSWR route while scheming for his own big engines.

Considering the success of the 2-8-2 format in North America and both France and Germany, it is something of a pity that there was no further development once Gresley had died. I have seen it suggested that the instant success of the V2 design effectively killed all appetite for going on with 2-8-2s. Possibly they were just too much of a good thing in a UK operational context?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Needs some work on the cylinders (lowering a tad and changing the angle marginally, packing behind them to fit more snugly too) but it's coming together nicely I think. It works which is something and works very well.

The tender is a hybrid Hornby/GBL Mallard model and has been fitted with new handrails all round. It will be primed and then painted in plain black.
Cullercoats

Post by Cullercoats »

Cullercoats wrote:
teaky wrote:It's no use gloating. We expect photos to be posted you know! :)
When I get back from holiday and see the thing can probably gloat :(
It arrived soon after my return from holiday and to my delight the P2 looked and ran just fine for the two hours of running in and one hour after decoder fitting.
Then after just three hours running the damn thing stopped dead but not before lamps and crew had been fitted.
Hattons true to their normal excellent form have offered a refund as the are unable to replace the loco from stock.
I think I will return to the safety of grubby black coal haulers.
BTW I have just received two CDs with back copies of the LNER Society Journal, superb, I have enough information now to become pedantic about minor details!
:P
Last edited by Cullercoats on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hello Simon,

Regarding the V2 cylinders and valve gear, I was wondering:

1. Can you also lower the motion bracket (as well as the cylinders) in order to clear the line of the running plate which will sit just at wheel-top / cantilever bracket level?
2. Have you in some way slotted the ends of the crankpins so that the Bachmann return crank is held by something more than simple screw tension?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Hi Graeme,

I believe I can lower both by lowering the cylinders a tad more. I intend to mount the valve gear onto the bracket behind, which is in a convenient location.

Regarding the return crank, I carefully filed the pins a little on the inside of the crank a tad so that it fitted onto the slot as per the Hornby type, and they fit in the same way as the Hornby ones now - no movement at all once screwed on. Very happy that it works.
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Cullercoats wrote:
Cullercoats wrote:
teaky wrote:It's no use gloating. We expect photos to be posted you know! :)
When I get back from holiday and see the thing can probably gloat :(
It arrived soon after my return from holiday and to my delight the P2 looked and ran just fine for the two hours of running in and one hour after decoder fitting.
Then after just three hours running the damn thing stopped dead but not before lamps and crew had been fitted.
Hattons true to their normal excellent form have offered a refund as the are unable to replace the loco from stock.
BTW I have just received two CDs with back copies of the LNER Society Journal, superb I have enough information now to become pedantic!
:P

Before you give up on your P2. Have you read the RMweb P2 thread? There appears to be a common fault with uninsulated pick-ups a simple fix is explained together with photos.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

E mail from Rails they are getting more soon, hopefully Hattons will too. :? :D
Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Sniffer »

Feeling deprived of new RTR LNER stock just now, so in a moment of weakness I've bought a weathered 8F. :shock:

Not only is it LMS but it looks mucky !
Must be desperate.
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

G'Day Sniffer.................think you'd better stand at the back of the classroom for a couple of hours. :P

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Sniffer wrote:Feeling deprived of new RTR LNER stock just now, so in a moment of weakness I've bought a weathered 8F. :shock:

Not only is it LMS but it looks mucky !
Must be desperate.
Don't you mean an O6?
Of course it could be one the LNER built with LMS on the tender, and counted as 'on hire' for a few years!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

P2 mockup and thoughts

Just doing a bit of a mockup of the body shell I am working on for my streamlined P2. Nothing set in stone, loads to do, as outlined in the blog, and a number of things to consider but overall I feel happier about taking apart my Railroad P2 than I did previously!
Cullercoats

Post by Cullercoats »

When I get back from holiday and see the thing can probably gloat :([/quote]
BTW I have just received two CDs with back copies of the LNER Society Journal, superb I have enough information now to become pedantic about minor details!
:P[/quote]

Before you give up on your P2. Have you read the RMweb P2 thread? There appears to be a common fault with uninsulated pick-ups a simple fix is explained together with photos.[/quote]

Thanks for that info however I am happier sending the faulty loco back.
I do not read RMweb, it seems not a pleasant forum and until the editorial policy changes I can manage quite nicely without.
I do understand that active modellers are beginning to drift away from RMweb so I am not alone.
It's much nicer here!
Woodcock29
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Everyone

My main range model arrived here in Adelaide today. Its now been run in and even had a run on a 10 coach express. However it doesn't start very slowly and seems to need about 50% setting on the Gaugemaster analogue controller before it will move. Has anyone else found this and are there any suggestions as to why this might be, afterall all my other recent Hornby locos start nice and slowly and don't need as much power.

I haven't yet taken the body off to see if there is anything obviously wrong as I have too many other projects on the go at present.

Woodcock29
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Mine was the same. It did improve with running in - I put it down to the oomph needed to start the flywheel rotating as once it's going it will slow down to a crawl.

I hope to have a chance to compare it with others this weekend and decide whether it's unusual or they're all the same.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

As much of this thread consists of complaints about the delays, perhaps we should switch to the Farish Peppercorn A2 - received another email from Hattons: now expected "Nov/Dec".
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia