West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

Been a bit quiet lately, so I thought a few pictures might be in order.

Still adding odd details to the C1s. The DJH is the nearest to completion - whistle, cinder guards and crew, I think. I'll be picking up bits for the others tomorrow at Doncaster.

Still no bits from Dart Castings, but the two coaches I have been able to get on with are coming on. Interiors are made, lining and transfers applied and varnished over. There is something odd happening with the bogies on the D5; I picked some up on Ebay and I think the presstuds are slightly different. They will need packing down a little to clear the solebars.

I had a bit of a mental aberration when checking the number for the BCK and gave it a 1931 number, so it ought to have a truss underframe. I'll swap it with the other I have started to put together.

Finally, for anyone who's been tempted, the new Hornby LMS horsebox. As everyone knows you can never have too many horseboxes and they can travel almost anywhere. This was distinctly pink when it arrived - I'd have said BR Carmine if I hadn't seen the lettering. So it's had a quick blow over with Rover Damask Red and looks rather better, I think. It's also had Mansell wheels fitted, just for a bit of variety.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Steady progress on the atlantics. For anyone who hasn't seen it, LNER4479 took this very fine picture of 3276 on the scenic board from Grantham which is being worked on at Ormesby:

In the works, 3275 has had the cylinders mounted and the new Comet crossheads fitted. The front bogie is also a Comet replacement, I think running trials beckon for this one next week.

I've had the offer of a better tender for 4412 so the WSM one may well end up as a sludge carrier.

Finally having looked at the finish I've managed on these 3, I've decided the odd colour on 4444 will have to go and it will go in for a repaint in due course along with two other green engines which I have to refinish.

To conclude, a couple of previews for you of items which will feature later this year:

On Sunday at Doncaster my attention was drawn to this, in a tatty box and shrinkwrapped but only £57. Got to be worth that even if it didn't run.

I went to drop it behind Tony Wright's table and he was kind enough to give it a clean, an oil and a test. Not only did it go, it ran very nicely indeed on his test track. Layout running on Monday night, however, showed that with the current, original, whitemetal chassis there's not enough sideplay to get it round 3' curves even without the tender. An etched chassis, which was the initial plan, is therefore back on the agenda along with a repaint and detail.

Finally, I also collected these from the very able Mr King.

These were on his thread recently and I believe one or two people may already have some. They're LNER meat containers, Container Diagram 15, as illustrated in the brown edition of Tatlow. Graeme has cast these, both container and corresponding conflat, from my masters. I shall be detailing these and completing them (including transfers) in due course but I'm sure Graeme will be happy to oblige anyone who might feel the need for one or two in the meantime.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

That's a bargain JW, I was pleased when I picked one up for few pounds more than that.

I was lucky when I stripped mine, as I found an etched chassis.

I think AGW do J6 frames, but I had planned to cut down a Comet N2 chassis to fit.

Earlswood nob
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Lovely models JW.
Too true about horese boxes, I got mine the other day, I thought the colour was ok but it needs weathering, I got a hopper as well which is a nice model, much better than the Airfix version, and a quick way to build up some steel hoppers, easier then the Parkside version, it will be repainted as it's in BR livery,.

Thanks for making the meat container and base, I managed to get a couple from GK and they are exquisite.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thank you, Dave, that's very kind. One thing when you come to build up the Conflat - Graeme suggested that some kind of rigid bracing might be needed to stop them bowing as they're very thin. From memory they're spot on for buffer height when placed on an MJT rocking W iron, which was why I didn't make the floor any thicker. I was thinking about either a sheet of brass under the floor, which wouldn't raise it excessively, or angle along behind the solebar at each side. Bill's sprung W irons might allow you to get some additional material under the floor, I have a feeling they're slightly lower than the MJT ones.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the info on the W irons....I have some MJT ones (a lot realy). I was thinking of a brass angle frame running round the edges with a couple of cross members set to take the W irons, so it could all be assembled before hand and then glued to the underside.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

A very welcome parcel from Dart Castings during the week has meant some progress on carriages this weekend. With a bit of luck some of these will get a run out tomorrow evening.

Glazing makes coaches seem altogether much nearer complete, I always think.

I was able to fit the roof to the D49 BTK, so the bodyshell is now ready for paint.

I'd made up the sides for an MJT BCK before Christmas but was stuck awaiting floorpan and ends. They were part of the package which arrived. Most of the weekend's effort has been on this carriage.

Yet another BCK - this is from Comet and will be a D134. There's another to start after this as well. It looks as if it's well on, but there are still all the hinges to make and fit and I haven't even started the floorpan yet. It's a real nuisance there being no hinges etched in.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

jwealleans wrote: It's a real nuisance there being no hinges etched in.
Chin up JW. Consider the 'unfortunate' tackling the Howlden D277. Which doesn't have enough droplights, that is not the least of the faults either!

The floor pan will have to be fundamentally altered. But I am getting there, slowly.

I was most encouraged by your tips on swearing. I have been calm most of the way.

Honest, John.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I think this is the first time I've posted to your thread, odd given my own enthusiasm for coach building. Thanks for sharing more of you stunning coach building. Although I doubt I'll ever reach your standards or your prolific output, you've set a standard to aim at. Lovely work. ( C1s too)

Paul
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thank you, Paul, it's kind of you to say so and nice to know someone's reading.

John - now you know why you should never volunteer! I have some spare droplights if you need any. What does the floorpan need? The one I build doesn't stick in my mind as being a problem.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Would it be worth trying a quiet word in the new proprietor's ear regarding hinge slots for Comet coach sides?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It has occurred to me, too.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

jwealleans wrote:...On Sunday at Doncaster my attention was drawn to this J6, in a tatty box and shrinkwrapped but only £57. Got to be worth that even if it didn't run. I went to drop it behind Tony Wright's table and he was kind enough to give it a clean, an oil and a test. Not only did it go, it ran very nicely indeed on his test track. Layout running on Monday night, however, showed that with the current, original, whitemetal chassis there's not enough sideplay to get it round 3' curves even without the tender...
I have been puzzled by this sort of thing in s/h purchases. Surely it was built as a running model since it worked so well? So who was it owning - or having access to - a layout with the very generous curve radii required to operate it? I don't recall even the finescaliest of OO club layouts of the sixties and seventies going larger than a 36" minimum radius. But perhaps someone knows different?

Really like the atlantic collection, but one question. Is the trailing truck of 4412 deranged in some way as it doesn't line up with the axlebox?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Is the trailing truck of 4412 deranged in some way as it doesn't line up with the axlebox?
Feature of the kit, I suspect. I haven't altered it at all - yet. It may have to be attended to in due course.

WRT the J6, I expect it's really down to what testing facilities the builder had. It ran perfectly along a metre of straight track on Tony's table, so it may be that that was 'job done'. It can't have gone through pointwork either - maybe that was why it was for sale?

I have a Q1 which was also bought built and wouldn't go through points. I thought that was down to sideplay until I tried it without the tender, when it ran beatifully. The large rigid cast arm which projected under the cab to meet a similarly cast peg prevent any 'bend' between loco and tender and stopped the whole thing working. Replaced it with a brass loop and hook and we've been using it ever since. The arrangement on the J6 would have the same effect were it screwed up tight. It seems to have been a feature of kit design of that era, or maybe of certain designers.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I suppose that could be it, but it seems odd to me to bother motorising if it isn't going to run on a layout. Kits including chassis were indeed often supplied very 'tight' due to chassis width. The kit chassis I bought for my BEC J17 body was a case in point, no way this small 0-6-0 was going round curves with the chassis built as supplied if fitted with all flanged wheelsets.