SENTINELS

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: SENTINELS

Post by 60526 »

I agree, for such a short wheelbase 4 wheeler it ran really well with so sign of any jerks.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

This clip gives a better idea of how slow this loco will run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IomCYdM9 ... re=related
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Hi All

this month's edition of Model Rail states that production of their Sentinel 4w VBT commenced in late May, with roughly two months for production & delivery via bobbing container. Shall therefore save my pennies for the their arrival in July, and hope that the new Gresley non-vestibule coach stock holds off for a while thereafter.

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Hi All

just to let you know that my LNER Sentinel has now turned up, and my BR Early version is due to arrive in the next week or so. Took it out of its box yesterday for a lap or two, and for my purposes, I find the motion works well, and it can move so slowly for shunting, unlike Smokey Joe, when the latter moves off at light speed!

The appearance of the Sentinel is fine, and I can now add this to my Sentinel Railcar, J39s & J72s, and am at last starting to build up a viable North Eastern stable of locomotives, pre WW2. Hoping that those nice people at Bachmann & Hornby now look at the potential of a B16, J27 & Q6, and will be doing backflips if these also materialise.

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I did post this on my WB thread, but in case anyone doesn't read that:

The one on the left is Crownline, that on the right NuCast.

I haven't run it in properly yet but in a little bit of running about on the test track it's behaved very well. It's heavy for it's size (there's a big cast block filling most of the body below the windows. There is a circuit board, no doubt for this digital malarkey, which is a bit obtrusive and needs covering up. I've had it pulling a dozen wagons and have no doubt it will manage more.

I have a very minor quibble about the holes in the buffer beam for a vac pipe, which will need filling in. I also think that the lettering, specifically the number, looks very slightly skew. I can't decide if it really is (measuring suggests any slant is minimal) or it's just me. I'm more or less decided on repainting it, partly because of that and mainly so I can give it a number other than 150. The upper body just pops off so it should be fairly straightforward.

The rods to operate the sanders haven't been represented either.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

It look like all of the number is out with 1 being lower than the 5 and 0. A steel ruler should confirm . I always line mine up from the bottom edge as the all seem to be slightly different in size especailly anything with a curve !!
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Hi Jwealleans

clocked your Y3s in Yeadons: No 87 seems to have been fairly mobile around the Great Eastern Region, with thirty-four seperate allocations between October 1930 & July 1955, with a number of sheds appearing regularly during that time; and No198, seventeen sheds across most LNER reions between August 1929 & August 1953, with significant longstanding allocation periods to the North Eastern Region, Scarborough in 1930; Selby in 1938; and Malton in 1952.

For my part, I intend to renumber the Y1 and allocate it to Stockton Shed, No 124, which remained at Stockton for the whole of its operational life, between July 1929 and November 1954. I also have an image of Stockton Shed from July 1938, provided in LNER 150, P Whitehouse & D Thomas, published by David & Charles. The image shows two Gresley J39s chilled out over the ash-pits, with a Sentinel Railcar peeping from behind the shed, so I think that the Y1 will happily blend in with that scene.

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hi GB, you've spotted my tactic of modelling wanderers, that way you can justify running it pretty well anywhere on the LNER if you need to. I haven't sorted out a new number for the Y1 yet.

Took it down to Ormesby last night and gave it the suggested 30 minutes each way round 'Thomas the Tank Engine'. Then we put it on the long freight on Corfe - 22 kitbuilt wagons, mix of brass, plastic and whitemetal, 2 or 3 bogie ones in there - and it strolled away with it. I confess myself very impressed indeed.
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Ormesby takes me back a bit, used to play badminton in a hall there as a kid, and my mother taught at Overfields School - Would like to think that we get a few local PO wagons and the odd NE locomotive some time - Have images of Dorman Long, Pease & Partners, and Sadler wagons that I would quite happily handover to Messrs Bachmann & Hornby, but guess that we need a Worsdell or Raven loco to help focus their attention.

Here's hoping!

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
amdaley
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by amdaley »

I bought one of the LNER versions.Its a very smooth runner for its small size but your track must be very clean. It is also heavy for its size helped by the heavy block which accounts for its good slow running.
Very easy to take the body off,just clips off with no screws.I wish they were all that easy.I have fitted a Lenz silver decoder in mine.Yes I do think it was a little expensive but none the less an interesting little loco.
Regards.
Tony.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

A new batch has just been released.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This is mine at the club last night. The train has got a bit shorter since last week. It doesn't appear until 38 seconds. I did try editing the video but the software speeded it up and it already looks faster than it did in the flesh. Anyway you get the idea; there's more than enough haulage power there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8pWS1TjTYw
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Ha, can see through the speed issue and the length of train hauled, what we may have is a supercharged Q6 0-8-0 in disguise. All that I now need to work out is how you get such an NER work-horse into such a tiny body!

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters