Atlantic's works: Portable layout - Ground Signals Again

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Loco/vans/brakes workbench - another cunning RTR conversion?

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

I'm afraid it's the accountant in me - it's a numbers thing - but how Graeme, will you mark the momentous 100th page of your thread? :wink:

This must surely be a "first" and should be marked appropriately! As I know the A1/1 will provide us with many more pages of interest yet, the unveiling of that completed model is unlikely, so how about pausing to remind us of all your superb creations, with a gallery or line up or two? 8)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:how do you achieve such tidy, straight cuts with awkward shapes such as loco bodies?
For straight lines, where access permits, a razor saw with thin, fine-toothed blade and a slow, thumb-guided, careful start, working in a scribed line or against a contour or rebate. Where access is less favourable or curves are needed then often it's a piercing saw, sometimes with the blade fitted with its teeth to the inside rather than outside of the frame. In other places it sometimes has to be a knife, wielded with extreme care, or linked drilled holes. Much patient cleaning up with afile after cutting always pays dividends, and I know no susbstitute for experience when it comes to learning ways to use the file evenly and without rocking.
You can also start a a razor saw cut, with care, on a flat surface that is longer than the blade, or on one that has features that prevent normal long saw-strokes, by using the corner of the blade initially like a knife (lightly, you can't put pressure on, you just slice/scrape repeatedly) until you get a start through the material, then you can begin short saw strokes to extend the length of that initial cut.
S.A.C. Martin wrote:why not mould it to include the boiler band
Purely to avoid the need to line the boiler band in a way that matches the other factory lining, which is unlike any I've seen on lining sheets. But see below in a minute.....
2002EarlMarischal wrote:how will you mark the momentous 100th page of your thread?
I hadn't really thought about that one. Maybe I should - or I could spurn pomp and ceremony by just carrying on as normal.

Now for a correction, and I suspect an apology is due to Mick B for my forgetfulness as he may well have told me about this a while ago:
STA77333 s-h covers.jpg
Firm pushing from within at their centre-pegs which pass through the smokebox, and careful lifting of the edges with a really thin blade to break the glue detaches the SEPARATE superheater side covers, intact. In fact, mine were fairly well glued so I had to twiddle a 2mm drill bit to destroy that centre peg completely and open up a larger hole through which I could push more firmly on the inside of the cover without wrecking it, i.e.using a flat ended rod. Whilst you can't see the hole in the smokebox above because filing away the mess has close it over, the other side finished up with FOUR holes in it before the cover agreed to detach!

One less moulding job to do anyway, and the smokebox has become much easier to re-make completely new, from scratch.
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Another first too, the previous post to this was number 1472, Flying Scotsman's original number if I'm correct :mrgreen:
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Not me :D :D :D

I was the chimney tip :shock:

Never realsed they were seperate mouldings a good spot
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

So there's something genuinely new that we've learned then.

Here are my usual formers for creating plastic "boiler tube" or similar curved plastic plates. Two layers of 20 thou plasikard, cut to size, get wrapped tightly around the copper pipe, the aluminium sterident tube slides over as a really firm fit, the lot goes in boiling water for a few seconds and then gets quenched under a cold tap. Job done!
STA77336 plastic tube formers.jpg
No turning back now, as here I've cut off the original smokebox and have taken two layers of curved plastikard (with seams at opposite sides of the tube) and I'm using the boiler and smokebox as collars to set the end diameters whilst just tacking layers together at those ends with a spot of solvent.
STA77334 setting s-box diams.jpg
With the size now set at the ends, a rubber band helps to hold the whole outer seam down evenly whilst solvent locks the layers together.
STA77335 keeping layers flush.jpg
Four main layers in total, and an intermediate wrapper of 5 thou to adjust the final outer diameter, allowed me to create the whole smokebox including an extended inner ring that plugs into the boiler, and a rebated front that accepts the smokebox door. Some filing to flatten part of the base, and add-on patches to create the missing section of saddle were also required. I've added a "rivetted" 5 thou square to represent the top cover, and the Hornby side covers have been transferred. The snifter, chimney and door won't be part of the basic moulding, but the snifter position will be part-drilled and the chimney pot positions scribed-in as a guide.
STA77338 completed s-box 1.jpg
STA77340 completed s-box 2.jpg
STA77342 completed s-box 3.jpg
2002EarlMarischal wrote:how Graeme, will you mark the momentous 100th page of your thread
Only an idea, but how about making it "readers' choices"? Those keen enough can go back through the thread to any particular favourite image, hit the quote button, delete any unwanted text, add any that they desire, and in this way a "favourites gallery" would be created
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

I hope Graeme will forgive me a moment of indulgence, but I cannot let 100 pages of riveting modelling go by without celebrating the landmark in some way. 8)

The modelling skills demonstrated in this forum are outstanding and inspirational to all of us. Perhaps we could indeed take a moment to post some "readers' favourite" photographs swiped from earlier pages in this thread. As I simply cannot chose any one project in particular, I'm going to "wimp out" and chose a group shot!
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Image
I understand that there may be a professional relevance from Graeme's point of view to the fact that I would give my "eye-teeth" to own these beauties! :lol:

Congratulations on your 100th! :D

[PS: I'm now laughing at my own expense because I expected this post to tip the thread over onto page 100, and I've failed!!]
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Gresley O2, stunning.

One of my most prized possessions - W1, 60700, which Graeme created from a Railroad Mallard. Just perfect.

A locomotive so awesome, one day I hope to emulate it: Indefatigable!

Loch Long, another extremely convincing recreation from a Bachmann K3.

This 6 wheeled guard's van - and its ingenious lamps - really struck a chord for detail with me.

And finally...the first of the Thompson Pacifics (now in my possession, 60500 Edward Thompson) showing just how far you've come Graeme. Exquisite work all the way through, and no doubt I've forgot a few gems along the way, but these are the ones which always stick in my mind.

Thank you - firstly for two superb models I enjoy owning very much, and secondly for the sheer amount of enjoyment I get from reading your thread. Congrats on 100 pages over three years, and many completed, top notch projects therein.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I dont want to take up valuable server space but two out of my top 3 have already been shown so the W1 and the awesome Loch Long are illustrated but my third choice which i think is unusual is his Mythical tank loco that some observers have said they could remember them.
Well done 100 not out, I hope another century follows.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

For me, it has to be the reboilered V2.

It looked so good, I had to try to make one myself...... :oops:
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Thank you Graeme for your posts, I never fail to click on almost every day to marvel at what you are doing to some poor defenseless RTR loco, to add a favorite would be silly, there ALL great, but I did like the B2, and I will be building a A2/3 probably this summer (in OZ)

Congratulations, you don't look 100 :twisted:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

For me it is still the P1 project Graeme. That was what made your posts compulsory reading for me. I'm not posting a picture of it here as it is easy to find on page 1.

Keep on modelling and get around to that Atlantic already!!! :twisted:
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

P1 gets my vote as well. Modelling as good as it gets.
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Big loco power appeals to me so the W1, A1/1 and A2/3 get my vote.
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

I'm afraid that I'll follow the crowd on this one but it has to be the P1 for me as well.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I'd agree the P1 has to be the best, but they are all great :mrgreen:
Last edited by 60800 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F