Atlantic's works: Portable layout - Ground Signals Again

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Loco/vans/brakes workbench - another cunning RTR conversion?

Post by Ocean Swell »

the artists impression of the baldwin loco reminded me of one of our locals here in South Australia although it is a 4-8-4

http://www.comrails.com/pic_cd/cd_p0108337a_25.html

I have heard more than once that this class of loco was the largest non-articulated loco built in Britain I don't know if thats true or not.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

wehf100 wrote:HMRS seems to have a drawing of the 40 ton wagon pressed-steel bogies. I assume that's the same thing?
There was 1 wagon with pressed steel and 24 with diamond framed bogies.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Bill has kindly confirmed that this information comes from the official diagram. I've also discovered that Dow's GC vol 3 includes a picture of a 40 tonner on diamond frame bogies, very poorly reproduced in my reprint copy of the book.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Did the GC 40 tonners pass into LNER ownership?

I am surprised that my old Tatlow LNER Wagons doesnt cover them if they survived that long.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The texts I've read appear to suggest that the 30 tonners at least, built in 1903 (though I've seen a posed picture of a train of them behind an 0-8-0 captioned as "1902") were extinct on the LNER by 1939, one or more actually having been sold into colliery internal service and allegedly surviving much longer. I can't tell from the phrasing of the texts whether the comments are also meant to apply to the 1904 built 40 ton wagons. I'd be tempted to assume (naively?) that the improved version of the design, eliminating wooden doors and wooden floor, and including rounded lower edges to the body (preumably to add strength and resist the corrosion that might occor in corner joints) ought to have lasted at least as well.

If I model the might-have-been Baldwin as I plan, and add a train of 40 ton wagons in similarly imaginary "bulk" general coal service, I'll have to make some choices: I could depict the GC period, ignoring the anachronism of running the train out of period (and out of area) on my 1930s mid-Lincs ex GNR layout. I'm not sure however that I would want to dress the black loco in red and white GCR goods lining, which isn't readily available and can (I feel) look garish unless well weathered, so I'd have to imagine that the Baldwin never got GCR lining, although I think I could then safely assume that the wagons would be grey - unless others know that my assumption about the GC wagon livery is wrong in this case. Of course, I'd then need a brake van in GCR livery too, which I currently lack.
In order to put the Baldwin in LNER plain black post-1929 livery to fit my general modelling scheme more easily, I'd have to assume that the big Baldwin was more of a lasting success than the same maker's late 19th century moguls, which the GCR, GNR and MR were not slow to get rid of. At least I'd then have all the necessary transfers and plenty of choice of brake vans "in stock". Would the fitted coal wagons then have to be in the usual fitted red-brown oxide livery? Somehow I cannot make that look right in my mind's eye :?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Unusual for Vac fitted to use 3 link couplings as per the GC photo? .
Perhaps vac fittings removed in LNER days which would make it easier on the eye ( Grey).
Seems strange there are no LNER pictures of them in use.

The NER 40 ton version lasted to BR and were non fitted. :)
Last edited by mick b on Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

Hopefully I have managed to attach two photographs of the NER High Capacity bogie hopper showing it ran on Diamond frame bogies.
Attachments
Derail2.jpg
Derail1.jpg
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:The texts I've read appear to suggest that the 30 tonners at least, built in 1903 (though I've seen a posed picture of a train of them behind an 0-8-0 captioned as "1902") were extinct on the LNER by 1939, one or more actually having been sold into colliery internal service and allegedly surviving much longer. I can't tell from the phrasing of the texts whether the comments are also meant to apply to the 1904 built 40 ton wagons. I'd be tempted to assume (naively?) that the improved version of the design, eliminating wooden doors and wooden floor, and including rounded lower edges to the body (preumably to add strength and resist the corrosion that might occor in corner joints) ought to have lasted at least as well.
The bogie coal wagons were withdrawn after the cenotaph coal bunkers were installed at Neasden and Gorton. Most if not all the diamond framed bogies were then reused on special wagons including the gun-sets.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Just had delivered a bucket load of Graeme's chimneys - terrific! :D

Now to completely overhaul the Peppercorn A1 fleet with these chimneys...!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I've found a way of at least ameliorating the problems caused by those pesky wires under the Bachmann drawbar. While weathering the G2A on my own thread, the plastic U shaped moulding that clips the wires to the drawbar cracked and, subsequently while checking tender clearances on Mole End, went AWOL into the ballast. I wondered why the behavious of the loco to tender union suddenly became less inhibited! A search of the ballast failed to find the offending item so I then ran my S & D 7F with the plastic thingy fitted over the same piece of track with near scale tender coupling distance. It behaved as badly as the G2A's had. Removal of this moulding "freed up" the coupling again.

It also has the benefit from the visual point in that the wires 'twixt engine and tender will fool the eye into believing that they are the various steam, water and vac hoses that pass 'twixt loco and tender.

As a result, my O4 has had its plastic clip removed to the benefit of both running and appearance and all I'm waiting for now is Royal Mail to deliver the new tender filler from Graeme!

I'll have a decent O4 before I'm through. Guess what'll be the first thing I do to my Bachmann 3F when that appears... :mrgreen:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Blink Bonny wrote:all I'm waiting for now is Royal Mail to deliver the new tender filler from Graeme!
'Tis in the hands of the good gentlemen of the Royal Mail, as of yesterday.

IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

O4 Tender fillers............ :shock:
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:
Blink Bonny wrote:all I'm waiting for now is Royal Mail to deliver the new tender filler from Graeme!
'Tis in the hands of the good gentlemen of the Royal Mail, as of yesterday.
Ay up!

The above barbed comment was aimed at Royal Mail, who are well known for their "quality :lol: of service!"

Basically it can be summed up as follows:

"We'll deliver it when we can be a###d!"

Is it me? :?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Sorry to interrupt the flow of your thread Graeme, but I thought you might like to see one of your lovely cast chimneys fitted :)

I really do think this has made a tremendous difference to the look of the front end. I am currently through four of my A1s with this modification and have another five to do... :shock:

Is this rivet counting on a ridiculous scale, or a vast improvement on a strangely proportioned RTR chimney? You decide, chaps! :)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Now I see why you want to be rid of that joint :!: :shock:

I've not paid much attention to the Bachmann "plain" double chimney before.