LNER loco and rolling stock Exhibitions

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER loco and rolling stock Exhibitions

Post by StevieG »

greenglade wrote: " .... Wembley .... it was the British Empire exhibition which at the time was the biggest the world had ever seen...a special railway loop line and station were built, to connect the site to London Marylebone station.
Pete "
.... - what was the 'out, round, and back' line, later known as the "Wembley Stadium Loop" from and to Neasden North signal box on the Neasden South Jn. (GC) - Northolt Jn. (GW) line, I believe.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

the loop still exists being used by the Chiltern Line toward High Wycombe.

It was also part of the round london line from south to north which included Dollis Hill, and Clapham

Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

There seems to a lot of exhibitions around the LNER area.

I have a copy of 'LNER Reflections, there are a couple of pictures in that book including, a photo, of a breakdown crane lifting a 10ton open wagon body, complete with 72 people, 2d for adults 1d for children, this was at the Southend exhibition, which 10000 and 4472 attended.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

You beat me to it Pete was just about to mention K3 tender.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

john coffin wrote:the loop still exists being used by the Chiltern Line toward High Wycombe.

It was also part of the round london line from south to north which included Dollis Hill, and Clapham

Paul
No. I think you misunderstand.

The Wembley Loop was a single track to the east of the stadium and curved round in a tight circle to rejoin the Marylebone - High Wycombe line a few hundred yards east of where it had left it. You can see the line of the old alignment in the curve of the buildings on modern aerial photos.

Wembley Stadium station was on the loop, and not the station that is called Wembley Stadium today - that was originally Wembley Hill.
John.

My spotting log website is at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/

And my spotters' b&w photo site is at http://spottinglogs.blog
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Good Evening Manna......There IS a list!
In the 70s I was in contact will the late (great) Willie Yeadon who for his own personal entertainment was collating details of all the LNER Exhibitions. It was he told me, not for publication as such but was entitled, most appropriately, "Grand Parade"!
Now I do believe his papers are held somewhere in Hull. It was at one stage Hull University, but am not too sure if this is still the case. If you check one of the later volumes of "Yeadon" you should find the appropriate info in the preface. By the way Willie was from Yeadon. And one of his RCTS LNER co-authors obligingly made a nice line-drawing of a K4 suitably named YEADON of YEADON. What chance of 61994 temporarily re-named?
Eric
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Stafford,

Willie did give a talk to the Gresley Society some years back on that very subject, and it was titled 'Grand Parade'
It was in the basement of the GN hotel . IIRC Viscount Garnock did the intro
I will look through my GO's to see if there are notes about it
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Good News, Thank you. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
trainspotter1948
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by trainspotter1948 »

My father took me to the Noel Park sidings and I remember 'cabbing' Mallard, though at 9 I was a bit small to appreciate the experience at the time - only to be repeated last year, 53 years later.
Thanks for pinning the date to my memory.
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

There was one such exhibition at Blyth Station in 1933, where the proceeds were donated to the local hospital, Thomas Knight Memorial. Amongst stock on display was a D49, railcar 'Tyneside Venturer' and A1 2579 'Dick Turpin'.

Another similar exhibition took place at Manors station around the same time. Reading local newspaper reports they appeared to be very popular, although we also need to bear in mind that the LNER marketing dept would have been in overdrive as well.
v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by v3man »

Most, if not all, the Exhibitions are mentioned in the LNER magazine and can be found in the index of each volume. Take some time to wade through them though!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

v3man wrote:Most, if not all, the Exhibitions are mentioned in the LNER magazine and can be found in the index of each volume. Take some time to wade through them though!
Not any before 1927 though! Entries in the LNER Magazine were often many months after the event, possibly even in the following year, and were not always specific as to dates.