Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by mick b »

Large curves are done using straight lines with persuassion !! Others cut etc.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

mick b wrote:Large curves are done using straight lines with persuassion !! Others cut etc.
Ta Mick. Now ordered.

B16 rebranding in order! ;)
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Nice work Mick - I suspect you have more planned if you have been plundering the local newsagent for GBLC Mallards?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I have three, Tenders bodies are good and working on one at the mo . Dont think much of the Loco body probably use for spares for Railroad bodies when I can get some at sensible prices :shock: :lol:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A4 Tender done awaits Livery decision sitting on a Hornby chassis
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Floor raised
12.jpg
Rear mounting post
14.jpg

C7 awaits lining
13.jpg
Last edited by mick b on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

How did you do the steps Mick?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

davidwest wrote:How did you do the steps Mick?

Spare etches and microstrip
davidwest

Post by davidwest »

Thanks
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

A4 conversions 2.jpg
First body to be chassied.

The chassis was a 5 pole Railroad A3, but has been fitted with A4 cylinders and valve gear. If you carefully dismantle the black bits inside the body which consist of the backhead and its detailed attachment you can carefully cut a slot where there is a lip at the front of the cab floor to take the locating lug on the chassis. A slot is then cut in the backhead support (you can carefully removed the detailed portion before doing this and replace later.

An .080" 'bridge' 9mm wide is cemented inside the front of the body butting up the the existing screw locating tube, and butting onto the undersides of the running plate. The chassis is offered up and a hole drilled in the right place - the chassis front is then attached using a suitable screw. Check all is level and that's it.

I await delivery of buffers, whistle, and I still have to deal with the tenders prior to the paint shop.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Shame they made such a hash of the parabollic curve.

I forgot to add re Tender a piece of square tube was glued to the underside of the Tender to provide a post for the mounting screw to hold the Tender body in postion on the Chassis. Photo later.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

I would add to my last photo that the tender body is fitted to a standard Hornby tender chassis with pickups. It clips in the front but will need a bridge gluing in at the rear to screw it up. I await the GMLC Scotsman model to see what the corridor tender is like as I need one for one of the green A4s. The other one is going to be more problematic as it is the later streamlined type of corridor tender!

The parabolic curve is a pest but will disappear under repainting. I shall however 'sort' all the spare tender bodies like Mick has so that I have a stock - I'll probably paint them in an assortment of liveries so that they can be used around the fleet.
davidwest

Post by davidwest »

I'm surprised how good the basic shape of the GBLM Mallard model is especially the tender.

Pics of the securing mechanism would be really appreciated - I see you've just added it...
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Direct copy of Hornby attachment method
14.jpg
Also added to my original post . Just a piece of spare Square plastic rod and some support pieces. Only used square as that is what I have available.

The Tender body is i.d to Hornby version. Hopefully the Scotsman Corridor one will be as good as need one for a A4 at mo.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Going back a few posts, the unnatural angle of the connecting rod on the C7 shows up just how low the cylinders are.