West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by notascoobie »

If those cocktail sticks are 1/76th scale, I'd be interested inseeing the real thing!

Regards,

Vernon
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

Not to mention the cheese and pineapple chunks :D
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
The NER (and others) built special wagons to transport them, called double bolster wagons.

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Some final preparation and finishing today ready for the running weekend which is almost upon us.

Basic weathering on a few wagons which had eluded it up to now:

I made up a few more loads using the last of that very handy lump of foam. I wonder where it came from? I also added chains to the Cambrian Quint I built some time ago.

A couple of other items I was keen to see make the cut so we can have them available:

GN Luggage Brake. This is D & S and came to me in the same way as the North Eastern coaches we were discussing a few posts back. It needed some underframe detail adding, buffers and painting. They're very elegant vehicles - IMHO this 58' GN stock was some of the most handsome ever built in this country.

Finally a little side project. I haven't bought any of the Hornby Gresley teak coaches as I have plenty of kits and they're just as expensive. Over Christmas, though, I saw some maroon BGs advertised for £18. That had to be worth a go, so I acquired a couple. Starting from this:

We came eventually to this:

The two sides were done differently to see which was the better approach. In Photo 1 the glazing was removed before the shell was repainted. It's a royal PITA to get out and you risk creasing the side panels and breaking glazing bars. You can see a missing bar towards the left hand end.

Side 2 was left in and masked. That would have been OK, but I managed to get overspray from the primer on the back of it and being masked I didn't see until today. I'll have to weather those windows quite heavily as short of scraping it isn't coming off. Photo 1 has also had all the moulded handles removed and replaced with MJT. On side 2 the longer, right hand handle on the loading doors has been left on and painted gold. That remains a matter of personal choice.

For the second one I will try to remove the glazing - missing bars are easy enough to reinstate - but it's very much dependent on how much glue the LCL has used when assembling it. The paint resisted all attempts to remove it and it probably isn't even worth trying. I've also noticed that there's no alarm gear - I thought this was present on the other teaks Hornby have done?
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Darryl Tooley »

As I understand it, the train alarm gear enables a passenger to make a partial brake application with the communication cord, and provides a visual indication of which coach this happened in, neither of which applies to BGs.

D
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Darryl you are correct, no alarm gear on brakes as no passengers.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Sorry forgot to say nice models Jonathan, as always.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The overspray might polish off the glazing if you can bear to set-to with a tightly folded strip of soft cloth in tweezers plus some T-cut.......

I look forwars to seeing these items in the flesh.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: I look forward to seeing these items in the flesh.
I would like to echo that, I do like that GN Luggage Brake.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

special wagons to transport them
I had no idea those were for cheese and pineapple. I thought the spikes were something to do with keeping the load on. You live and learn.

Just as you live and learn about alarm gear. Makes perfect sense, I'd obviously never given it any thought before. Well done Hornby for getting it right.
The overspray might polish off the glazing...
Hadn't thought of T-Cut. I'll give that a go in due course. For the weekend we'll just have to make sure it runs 'nice side out' if we use it at all.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Definitely on the roster (provided you haven't chopped the NEM pockets off) My 'out of the box' Hornby teak BG can go back into its box.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

NEM pockets are intact (they screw on and off anyway, IIRC). I'd better make sure it still runs after all my fiddling!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Started something else this week after getting everything ready for this weekend. In fact, this would be fine on Grantham as well, but it's been sitting near the top of the 'to do' pile for quite some time and I finally got round to starting it yesterday.

Bill Bedford GNR diagram 303 Passenger Brake Van. This diagram was 29' long as opposed to the 32' version which D & S have done. Bill's kits are always a bit of an adventure, but so far it's going together well. It runs beautifully on the sprung suspension which is designed in. No castings, as is usual - I'll see what I can round up and ask Dan Pinnock if he'll supply the rest.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Looks like I should bring some spare duckets this weekend.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Atlantic

You won't need to take any duckets for that Bill Bedford kit of Jonathon's - they're included in the etches. I have one stashed away to build in the distant future along with 2 of Danny's version.

Woodcock29