West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

Excellent! Get it built and I'm sure we can find somewhere for you to run it - and that dining pair as well....
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Dave wrote:Yes I'm afraid you did, I got a GNR Dia 248A or 248E open 3rd from Andrew, I did not know he
did Ruperts old kits.
Andrew????
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Andrew Hartshorne - Wizard Models/51L.

His website doesn't seem to allow me to do a direct link, but he has a number of the old RDEB kits listed and more to come.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

jwealleans wrote:Andrew Hartshorne - Wizard Models/51L.
Thanks.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This week I have mostly been painting teak. These are due out for a spin tomorrow so I've assembled them. Unpainted bogies are down to my buying three aerosols of black this week (2 Games Workshop, 1 Halfords) and all 3 being faulty. It is a conspiracy, you know....

From the locomotive end (as I envisaged it): full brake

All First:

Restaurant First:

Open Third (diner)

All third (end vestibule)

Compartment third - this needs work on the roof ends, I overdid the shortening:

Brake third - lowered on the bogies and a bolster arrangement added to prevent it rocking

All still very much 'in progress' but hopefully the end is at least visible on the map now. The whole thing has been a bit overtaken by more accurate consist research, but most of them will be able to be deployed in a set somewhere.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Looking good Jonathan - looking forward to seeing them :D
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote:This week I have mostly been painting teak.
Jesse? Fast Show?

Does the painting of teak increase the demand for loo roll too?

PS: Them there coaches looks a treat they does.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Very, very nice Jonathan! Might we be seeing those tomorrow?
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I hope you all have a really good weekend.
Research on-going.

How does he build so quickly?

All the best to all on the build,

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

"What have you been doing up there all day?" I was asked earlier. Well, after a bit of train fatigue following what felt afterwards like a very intensive operating session last weekend, I was back in the swing of it today. I'll let the pictures do the talking, mainly.

The sharp eyed will notice few missing '1's and a complete absence of 'LNER's. I seem to have used them all from the 3 part sheets I have, so an order goes off to Dave Cleal tonight. I went with the HMRS lettering for the RF although it's too large - wrong size looks less wrong than none at all. I did make enquiries about a 3mm sheet, but wasn't favoured with a reply. The short TK hasn't made it to the final show roster, but it will go through works anyway.

These people will expect somewhere to sit as well, I suppose.

The antimacassars haven't been an unqualified success, so I shall be trying a different approach. The Coopercraft tables are also a bit narrow so I'll be widening those with a paper tablecloth. I've run out, so I'll have to make some for the third class.

Finally a bit of variety from all these coaches - some months ago (Nottingham show?) Mr. King of this parish generously presented me with one of his loco coal wagons. It sat in the 'pending' drawer for a while, then most of the work on it was done one evening a few months ago. However I had no spoked 10.5mm wheels, so I've been scouring shows ever since to no avail. Finally I did what I probably should have done first up and ordered them from Mainly Trains. they came on Saturday morning, so today it was fitted up and painted.

I had to do some carving to get it to go round corners, even sitting slightly high, but once painted I don't think it'll be too evident. I may yet have to spring those buffers as well, but we can test that in due course. There's remarkably little work to get it to this stage.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Looking good Jonathan - beats scrabbling about under baseboards wiring up point motors any day. :lol:
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

I'm liking the look of those Jonathan.
Was lining out with the bob moor lining pen?
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Yes, all lined with the pen. Other than the BG, only one side is lined so far - there is a limit to my patience and concentration.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
They look good JW. I have never thought of adding antimacassars to the seats. They do make a difference.
The grab rails look good, are they home made or from Dart castings?

Just when I think I am about to produce some good models, someone like JW moves the goalposts further away from me.
I have just bought some Kirk kits and it is now a bigger job to build them.

Will the next addition be the strap that holds the window in position? I remember most of them were missing when I was a lad.

Compliments of the season to everyone

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Morning EN,

The antimacassars are highly visible from the outside, so I really had to do them. I did a GE RF a couple of years ago if you go back far enough on the thread and had to do them on that.

By grab handles, do you mean the commode handles by each door (in which case MJT) or the corridor grab rails? The latter are just .7mm brass wire stuck onto the back of the windows after glazing. They make a huge difference and (for me) really stand out when they're not present.

There's a lot you can do to Kirk kits to improve them, but that's true of almost any kit. I find it's worth the effort, though.

Apart from painting passengers. I still hate doing that.