West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Re: West End Workbench

Post by drmditch »

Looking excellent, as always. Would you mind I asked about the colour?
Is a 'teak undercoat'?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Colour is just Halfords Red primer. There will be a teak undercoat on top but I thought this would help give it an orange tint.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Ah - didn't recognise it, although I use Halfords Red and Grey primers all the time!
Just goes to show what a difference lighting, cameras, and possibly my monitor make!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

So the standard Halfords primer with its included solvents goes on satisfactorily over your yellow filler primer - which foggy memory (if correct) suggests to me to be acrylic?
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:So the standard Halfords primer with its included solvents goes on satisfactorily over you yellow filler primer - which foggy memory (if correct) suggests to me to be acrylic?
I use Halfords primers as my standard base for painting over metal, plastic, and remnants of other finishes. I paint over them with acrylics. So far, I've had no problems! (Usual disclaimers apply). The only problem I've ever encountered was when I tried to use a Windsor and Newton Artists picture varnish which says on the tin that it is safe to use over acrylics. It was my first attempt at a Kirk kit, and I was quite pleased with my attempt at a grained teak finish until..... It went all bubbly and wrinkled and I've never worked out how to salvage that coach side or attempted a teak finish since!

Moral is of course always to practice on a scrap piece first.

I'm a rubbish painter and I've never mastered enamels, which is why I stick with acrylics.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Halfords primer can lift enamel paint .
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Looking at the cans, the yellow filler primer doesn't say acrylic, but the grey and red both do. I can never remember what you're supposed to be able to apply over what, but I use either the filler primer or etching primer on metal and the Halfords on plastic and I've never had a problem up to now. The only paint reaction I can ever remember getting was between Precision Track colour (which I use for coach brown) and Games Workshop varnish and I think that was because the brown take sages to dry and hasn't cured properly before the varnish went on.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Games varnish is aggresive and will always lift Precision and other enamels (in my experience). I always use a barrier coat of Acrylic varnish first before using Games Satin as a final finish.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

My memory must be at fault here then. I was tempted to think that the yellow filler-primer used by Jonathan was from a different maker's "definitely acrylic" range.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

All Halfords.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Blimey Jonathan - you must not go to Warley more often :lol: Fantastic progress.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

jwealleans wrote:...take sages ...
Listen to the words of the wise...

coat ... gone 8)
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Good to meet up today Jonathan at Wakefield, a very enjoyable chat, always nice to put a face on a name.

A great show as always.

You tempted me with your talk of GNR carriages and I got one too later on when you were having lunch.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Oh dear, Dave, did I lead you astray? Never mind, I'm sure Andrew was very pleased. Thanks for coming round and saying hello - as you say, it's always nice to put a face to a name.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Yes I'm afraid you did, I got a GNR Dia 248A or 248E open 3rd from Andrew, I did not know he
did Ruperts old kits.