West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by LNER4479 »

Wow - looking seriously good now. Weren't you tempted to give yourself a :D ? Don't all the detail bits bring it all to life?
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Excellent. What's on the dining car menu for din-dins on 8th / 9th Feb?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This accompanied by this, I expect.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Wow! I hope so! For one moment I wondered if your links would take me to the "Spam" sketch, twice over......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Very good Jonathan, I see you are going for a post 1930 version, where as mine is a 1929 build, interesting.

Whilst emailing LNER4479 I realised I had some pictures of a D10C, this one is 42969 (9007) and was built in 1929 at Doncaster. It's unclear which side is which as it's so altered,
but if you assume the end door is at the correct end (but moved in for some reason) "south end" then the vac pipe is as 4479's pic. Anyway it still shows an external pipe.
I thought you might be interested.
Attachments
D10C (1).JPG
D10C (2).JPG
D10C (3).JPG
D10C (4).JPG
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That might be because I've misunderstood the dates on the drawings you sent - I interpreted them as meaning that they were altered after 1928 rather than just being like that on those built after that date. Anyway, that helps with choosing a number, which I haven't done yet.

Having done it, I rather like all the fiddly roof gubbins, so if it is a 1930 build then I'm quite happy with that.

Is that D10C under tarpaulins in that line as you approach Pickering then? I see you mention it's an upholstery store, so presumably it's still weatherproof.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Taken a break from the dining pair tonight - something to do with a short attention span, but also the intention is to go back with fresh eyes after a couple of days and maybe spot something I missed earlier.

I've been tasked with producing a train, something I had been casting my mind to anyway. I have a collection of second hand Kirks gathered up over a few years with the intention of 'doing something with them'. Well, something seems to have arrived. I won't bore you with all of them now, but this evening's subject is a 61'6" Passenger Brake - we all have one, they're everywhere and if treated to a few better components than the basic kit supplies, they scrub up very well.

And for those who like to peer underneath, a motley collection of bits and bobs. I'm waiting for a package from Dart Castings and scraping parts of the barrel in the meantime. No dynamo - I've run out completely.

The Kirk trussing survived the paint stripping, so I've left it in place. The rest is a mix of Comet, MJT and Mainly Trains.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Very nice. Non-Gresley bogies? Do enlighten me!
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

BGs were built with Fox bogies until well into the 1930s. They were built/rebogied with Gresley pattern ones after that, but not all were given them and there are photos of them well into BR days still with the Fox pattern. As a 1936 (I think) build, this one probably ought to have Gresleys, but once my parcel from Dart turns up it won't be a problem to swap them and I have a 52'6" one these will go straight onto. Nick Campling's orange book gives dates for the change in bogies but I can't remember the exact details OTTOMH.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Not in this case the "Royal Fox" as recently mis-described on an eBay Pacific body lot :?: :roll:

RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Jon,

Just how many hours a week do you spend on trains? I'm full of admiration - especially after my J19 - but every time I look at my unfinished layout I feel guilty!

Regards

Ray
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hallo Ray,

It's my default activity when there's nothing else to do, so at the moment when DIY, gardening and most other things are at a standstill, this is when I get busy. I don't watch much TV and the kids seem to be on top of their homework currently, so things have time to be done. It helps that I'm in my little garrett which is cold - they don't like it, I do - so I get left alone most of the time as well.

In a good week I might get a couple of hours most evenings.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

jwealleans wrote:BGs were built with Fox bogies until well into the 1930s. They were built/rebogied with Gresley pattern ones after that.
The Gresley bogies were generally 8'0" wheelbase as fitted to the BGs
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks, Mike. Nick mentions that and I was aware. This vehicle may run on 8'6" so it matches the Bachmann bogie I've set up as a coupling adaptor vehicle. I believe some were built onto 8'6" bogies later in the 1930s?

In any case, it's ridiculously easy to swap them around using your method.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, while the rest of you were sharpening your elbows at Warley, I've been a bit busy. I went once and that was enough.

Interiors for the diners were the first order of the day, a nice 'on a tea tray in front of the fire' project on a filthy wet Friday night. These are nothing terribly clever and unlike Dave I've taken the easy route and used Southern Pride seats. What colour were the seats in 3rd class by the way? I know first were green in diners.

Today I started on another of the Kirks, a D 1 all first I bought as a loose body at Ipswich show probably more than 10 years ago. I remember buying it as I thought it was a 3rd and was a bit cross with myself when I realised. Still, it's coming in useful now. When I fitted the MJT bogies it looked a bit leggy and the bolsters showed under the solebar, so I stripped off the Kirk ones and replaced them with 1/8" Evergreen channel.

By the end of the day it's had the underpinnings (mainly MJT - the packet from Dart Castings arrived today), the interior knocked up from 20 and 40 thou plastikard, the roof cut in half and shortened and the holes drilled for the vents.

I'll get a set of seats primed tomorrow and start applying some paint.

The BG has had a dynamo and other odd bits done and also had a waft of primer while I was about it.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.