West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

I've been trying to clear down a few ongoing bits and bobs as there's a project coming up as well as a couple of visits to other layouts. There was some stock to weather for Thurston's next trip out (which is Ely show in May next year).

I've done some more to my L1 (still don't know how to get into the cab, though).

There's a bit too much gunmetal and not enough black on the wheels and rods. I'll tone those down a bit and perhaps try some photos outside at the weekend, if there's any sunshine.

I also have a set of Hornby Thompsons, courtesy of a club colleague.

These still need the wheels painting a rusty brown colour. When I was editing the photos I thought the streaks on the sides were a bit overdone, but looking at them again I'm not so unhappy with them.

The Grano is ready for lettering, but (as anyone who's used the HMRS BR pre-TOPS wagon sheet will understand) I'm putting that off as long as possible.

GE brake van did turn out to be a D & S (106) and I even found a set of instructions for one. I think one of these must have been the donor vehicle for the weedkilling train spray van as it has extra notes from Danny on it. This just needs a rinse over and it's ready for primer.

Finally, at Folkestone I took back the GC 6 wheel brake van seen a few pages ago and intended for Wickham Market. It's had the verandah sides thickened up a bit with plastikard and is also ready for finishing.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Jonathan, stick the figures through the L1's cab opening its easy!! I can take a picture of mine if needed!!

Sorry the coaches look awful in the pictures. I cant see even BR at their lowest ever running them in such diabolical condition ( I am probably wrong) at least they cleaned the windows ?

Nice Brake Vans.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I think the overall yellowish cast in the pictures is exaggerating the effect, Mick, but the third certainly does need cutting back a bit more and, as you say, the windows cleaning. Then again as he hasn't put any passengers inside, maybe they'd be better left filthy. if I get home early enough I'll have a look in daylight. What I was looking at are the areas on the BT just to the right of the double doors and just beside the last compartment. If I give the whole thing a rub over they ought to disappear or at least be toned down.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Right, a long day at the bench mainly servicing locos and cleaning stock wheels, but I did do a few other things to alleviate the boredom. Decks are being cleared, I was in that sort of mood.

First, Mick, do these grab you any better? If we'd had any sunshine today I'd have taken them outside but we didn't. The yellow is still exaggerating the effect but you can now see that they are empty (must ask Michael about getting some passengers).

I forgot these last time I posted pictures - these are being upgraded slightly (home made details replaced with MJT parts, extra roof details and Bill's couplings fitted) in advance of a sojourn on Grantham later in the year.

Some of the wagons from a couple of pages back are now weathered and ready for service:

I want those Ratio opens to look 'tired', but one of those buffers is taking the effect a bit too far.

A pair of (Rob's phrase) 'shelf queens' which I started I shudder to think how long ago - suddenly I had the urge and they're almost ready for paint. Then I need to make the transfers, but that is underway.

Lastly, just to make myself feel productive, a teaser for the next build. I'll take wild guesses as to what it will be but 4479 is not allowed to answer.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Bogie errrr ??? a coach !!! :lol:

Thompsons looking much better !!!
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

mmmrrmmpphhrrffrrrzzzssfffrrqqmm :evil: (there doesn't seem to be an icon for 'muzzled')
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, suddenly we're all doing coaches. This is what it will be growing up into, although if you want a proper job of one of these you need to look at Dave's thread from earlier in the year. Mine won't go into quite that level of detail.

The accompanying TO will be coming along with it. If I have time tonight I shall be cracking on, although Mike T might want to avert his eyes as this is the around the point at which I shall be diverging from the instructions.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:Well, suddenly we're all doing coaches.
Oops! I might be partly responsible for that. But we are a little short of 'proper' catering vehicles for the principal ECML formations on Grantham and the recent Banks/Carter 'tome' emphasises how the core sets were formed around the catering vehicles, of which RF+TO was the most common variation. The RF in particular is a gorgeous looking vehicle and I look forward to seeing this one grow.

Me? I'd love to be doing coaches but just a few too many point motors, signals, station buildings, engine sheds (etc) need knocking up at the moment :roll:
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
davidwest

Post by davidwest »

interestingly I recently Emailed Simon Kohler regarding RF and a TO. Also mentioned a Triplet set.

You never know... :)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Be quiet. I haven't finished these yet!
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

davidwest wrote:interestingly I recently Emailed Simon Kohler regarding RF and a TO. Also mentioned a Triplet set.

You never know... :)
With Hornby's issues, I doubt you would see these before 2030!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I doubt you would see these before 2030
Yes, but that only leaves me three and a half hours to get them done!
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

presumably a Hornby triplet set would have a menu that featured "slab side of beef"
:D
Regards,
Vernon
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

jwealleans wrote:although Mike T might want to avert his eyes as this is the around the point at which I shall be diverging from the instructions.
Go for it. Always interested in seeing alternative approaches.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Or stick them to Hornby Roof and ends

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1624&start=300