2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Coronach
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: York Sheds 'LEAMAN ROAD' MPD

Post by Coronach »

Not sure I can bring anything else to the party Tom, but you really have captured that lovely look of a well maintained but hard worked engine here. It looks very, very much alive and in direct sunlight she has a warmth about her appearance that suggests she really does have steam up!

Dave.
"If they say it's good, we know it's bad; if they say it's bad, we know it's good." - Jimmy Reid.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Well done, but not my cup of tea I am afraid
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

mick b wrote:Well done, but not my cup of tea I am afraid
Didn't think it would be Mick! ;)
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Glad this has ended up in what I regard as the right spirit. It's a real pleasure to see work done to such a standard. I would say that you've no idea how much encouragement this gives to the relatively benighted. But you've probably been there yourself, and that too is a major source of encouragement...

auldreekie
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

2750 wrote:
mick b wrote:Well done, but not my cup of tea I am afraid
Didn't think it would be Mick! ;)
:D
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

It's ok I guess but the missing '209'(could be 204?) scratched onto the right buffer completely spoils the illusion for me, I'm afraid! :lol: :roll:
Steve
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atso wrote:It's ok I guess but the missing '209'(could be 204?) scratched onto the right buffer completely spoils the illusion for me, I'm afraid! :lol: :roll:
Haha.... actually if you look closely and enlarge, I tried to do it...but it didn't look that great! ;)
Tom Foster
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

Aw, c'mON.

auldreekie
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

auldreekie wrote:Glad this has ended up in what I regard as the right spirit. It's a real pleasure to see work done to such a standard. I would say that you've no idea how much encouragement this gives to the relatively benighted. But you've probably been there yourself, and that too is a major source of encouragement...

auldreekie
I was very much in that position. I did some rather crappy results using powders, and it wasn't until I watched Tim Shackleton's Right Track DVD on weathering that I bit the bullet and bought a compressor and airbrush. Great tutorials.
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Today I had an enjoyable afternoon at the Cleveland Model Railway Clubs annual Exhibition.
Spent most of the time chatting to forum member scottiedog and jwealleans and generally having a good laugh. I did like those Gresley's David! ;)

Plenty on show for the LNER enthusiast! ;) Below are a selection of photos from today.

Waterloo Street P4

Whitby West Cliff OO

Battersby North End OO

Danby P4

Asenby St Peter 7mm

Finally, Fish and Chips by the sea at Saltburn! :)
Tom Foster
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

2750 wrote:Haha.... actually if you look closely and enlarge, I tried to do it...but it didn't look that great! ;)
Tom, after a promising few days seeing that you've (finally) seen the light and picked a proper period to model, I find that, once again, I have become disillusioned - this time by your inability to perform such a simple task as writing three legible numerals onto a 6mm wide surface... :twisted:

Joking aside, that is TOP quality work there. The photographic evidence shows that even in the 1930's a steam locomotive was a difficult machine to keep in pristine condition and while not everyone wishes to model such a sight it is good to see someone taking the plunge here. 8)

Earlier this year I had the privilege of helping out with the 'North of England Line' where I remember seeing a rather grubby looking Farish V2 in LNER green. For N gauge, a simple black wash was enough to really capture the look of a cared for but work stained loco. In 4mm the ability to really bring out the character of these daily images should not be passed on by those skilled enough to pull it off!

Great work! (I'm now going to duck for cover while some incredibly skilled modellers try to stone me to death for the above comment! :oops:) I'll be doing some work myself once I pluck up the courage to dirty my pristine collection of N gauge stock!
Steve
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Cheers Atso. Glad you like my work! :) Sorry about the numbers on the buffer beam though. :lol:
I'm commissioning a profesional modeller to repaint a couple of my A3s into LNER period....now that really is going to take courage to weather! ;)
Tom Foster
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

There's some very nice pictures, from the Cleveland show.

Your Galtee More looks a treat, but that beach...........can hardly see the water for people, is there a shark warning or something............!! :twisted:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

There's some very nice pictures, from the Cleveland show.

Your Galtee More looks a treat, but that beach...........can hardly see the water for people, is there a shark warning or something............!! :twisted:

manna
Not so warm in the North Sea as it is down your way Manna! ;) Plus it was 6pm.
Tom Foster
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

I thought that black shape in the middle WAS a shark.....

More seriously (but never completely so): what a splendid collection of layouts - I had no idea that civilisation existed in such quantity north of Potters Bar and south of Berwick on Tweed. They are so good it HURTS.

auldreekie