2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: York Sheds 'LEAMAN ROAD' MPD

Post by Tom F »

ArthurK wrote: I must stop there otherwise I will be accused of hogging your thread to publish my memoirs.

ArthurK
Not at all Arthur, keep them coming! I used to as Mike Megginson to do the same thing and post his memories in my thread when I used to be on Rmweb.

Keep them coming! :D
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Getting closer....
IMG_5106.jpg
2548 now has her 'Galtee More' Nameplates in place. A1/A3 nameplates are my least favourite nameplates to deal with as I find they don't fit the splasher perfectly, so took a touch of filing. I was going to fit the work plates included, but looking closely I saw they gave the date 1930....so seemed rather pointless adding them as it's incorrect.

I also took the time to do a rather tedious task which I know others have done, of painting the wheel rims black, although a bit of a pain, I think it's worth it.

Next job is Klear over the transfers, then weathering.
Tom Foster
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Paint the Hornby Nameplate matt black, then add etched plate on top. Fits fine I use 247 variety. I think you will stuggle to find various dated worksplates !!!!!!! :shock:
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Thanks Mick
Jobs done now, I tend to use Fox now as I can only generally contact Gary at Shows. I put an order in and Gary never got back to me.

I think he is at Expo North so will pick some more up then.
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

2750 wrote:Gary never got back to me.
It's unfortunate, as he's a nice bloke, but that's certainly not the first time we've heard that sort of report.

I e-mailed him to ask about SR smokebox door rings, not seriously expecting to get any reply, and I wasn't surprised by the outcome - nothing.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I agree totally useless on email. I have waited for well over a month for orders in past . I then realised never order around the time he is doing shows (he is a one man band I believe?) hence the delay.
His plates are the cheapest and the best IMHO.
Fox is a last resort for me, prices are very OTT. :evil:

My last order arrived in a week , just posted one yesterday will see what happens on this one !!.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

mick b wrote:I agree totally useless on email. I have waited for well over a month for orders in past . I then realised never order around the time he is doing shows (he is a one man band I believe?) hence the delay.
His plates are the cheapest and the best IMHO.
Fox is a last resort for me, prices are very OTT. :evil:

My last order arrived in a week , just posted one yesterday will see what happens on this one !!.
Completely agree with you Mick. Always been very happy with Gary's plates, more so than Fox. I've only been using Fox as they were a last resort as I don't rate Modelmasters. I do like Gary at 247, but as has been said, rarely does he reply to emails and sometimes it's difficult to get him on the phone either.

Fox are way overpriced...almost double the price of one of 247s! :O

Anyhow, next donor loco arrived....which will become 2571 'Sunstar' of Gateshead.
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Just looking through York's allocations in the late 30's, and it seems York had almost as many C6s as it had C7s! Is there a kit available?
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

C7 kit arrived....hmmm....one two words.

Banana Boiler!
993647_10151540733462984_1512596805_n.jpg
James seems to think with some brute force it can be sorted. Anyhow, the C7 is a New Year project, the J25 is the autumn job.
Tom Foster
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

Tom

As far as I am aware there is no kit for the C6. This is one that I have considered as it has parts in common with the B15 (cylinders etc.). The V/09 version also has splashers similar to the B15. Some day!

The C6s never got the publicity the their later brothers got but as you say they were distributed between Gateshead and York. Also latterly at Hull.

One 784 ended its days in the open outside the west end of Gateshead shed throughout the war years. Painted LNER green it never did get wartime black.

784 was my choice when I built this in OO, one of my very early scratch builds. My lining wasn't very good in those far off days.
Slide564A.jpg
It now resides in box, stripped of paint and re-motored with Mashima and HighLevel gearbox. Runs well and near silently. Trouble is I have nowhere to run it these days.

Must take a photo as it is now.

ArthurK
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

ArthurK wrote:Tom

784 was my choice when I built this in OO, one of my very early scratch builds. My lining wasn't very good in those far off days.

ArthurK
I have a plan (a long way down the list) to build No 784 as well. One problem I see with all the NER outside cylindered engines, where the cylinder interrupts the running plate, is what detail goes on top of the cylinder. Perhaps when I get really good I can try one of your B15s (although I'd like to start with a Q5 first.)
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

You will find most of the castings are as bad too. When you see kits like this, you can understand why people dont bother building kits anymore.

Mine still sits in a box with lots of Arthurs castings as replacements, it is coming towards the top of the pile, needs a mashima and high level box before starting.
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

Tom

Pardon the intrusion.
As promised 784 stripped back down to the bare metal. I appears that I have done more rebuilding of this than I remember. It has obviously been given a new chassis. The original was probably 1/16" brass or even 1/2" brass channel (1/16" section), that is how we did it in the good(?) old days. I also sports replacement bits from Roger Chiver's kits the dome, some of the tender castings etc. Not sure where the outside frames of the tender came from, could be the same place. The tender under frame is I believe from the D20 or Q6. The connecting rods are etched (I wonder where those came from?).
In all it looks a lot better than the painted version. I don't know when (if ever) I will get around to painting it.
DSCN0411A.jpg
DSCN0414.jpg
That banana boiler I guess I large vice is called for. Yes I can be straightened!

Looking at my C6 makes me yearn to do a kit! Maybe next year.

ArthurK
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

That looks very nice Arthur....lucky it isn't near me as I might swipe it if I got the chance! ;)

I can see how a number of components would be interchangeable with the B15, and I'm sure should you decide to do a C6 kit, there are a number of us on here who would be interested. I have to ask... how easy would it be to jump to a C7 from a C6?

I will be in touch about a B15 kit at some point, have enough to be on with at the moment mind! :)
Tom Foster
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

Tom

Depends on which C6 you are talking about the original or the V/09 the latter has very similar splashers to those on the C7 both have a 7'7" wheelbase but the bogie was 1' 6" further forward on the C7 because it drove on the front axle rather than the rear like the C6 and of course the cylinders were tucked up behind the valance. However other things were the same on both for example the cab and boiler apart from different superheater vacuum valves, GER style on the C6 and the Gresley style on the C7. Incidentally these replaced original NER style which was controlled by a hand wheel on the smokebox LHS. The C7 had a bulge in the box above front driving wheel to clear the connecting rod. Then there were nasty little splashers on each axle to clear the coupling rod bosses. The C7s had the coupling rods outside of the connecting rods. Clearance is tight though it will be easier in OO.
The there is the tender but we have already discussed that.

In short the C6 and C7 footplates are very different. Each would need a separate design.

ArthurK