2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: 50A York 'LEAMAN ROAD' MPD

Post by Tom F »

mick b wrote:Fully aware , but they are too beautiful to cover in crap :D as are the A4's
I agree there, they are beautiful. But I'm trying to recreate it as it was. I love adding the dirt in all the nooks and crannies. I won't go overboard though.

I'm still envious of your lining work Mick on your repaints. Your lining is far superior than what I have on models done for me by a so called professional. Intending to build a C7 at some point, might send of for it to be professionally painted.

How easy is the Bob Moore Pen to use? I read you use one. I intend to get a Bachmann LNER K3, use the black livery as a basis and then line out on top.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The vast majority of my work is done by HMRS using old sheets when you can get them , the current ones are nowhere as near as good, poor line up same problem with their Gold lettering.

Bob Moore is good once you get the paint to flow which can be "fun" :shock:

I have a C7 pending too :D awful old kit ,cant do too much about the Loco , the tender will be the Alexander version
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Thanks Mick

Will have to invest in Bob Moore pen for doing LNER mixed traffic lining.

I also see from your thread I'm going to need Hornbys reverser and add Brassmasters.
Tom Foster
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

MY latest A1/1 was done with Red Fox lining which was the thinnest I could find . Mixed traffic? I presume you mean Red.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Tom, excellent work there! I love the finish you get!

The picture of Galtee More is quite a common one, I've found it crop up in more than one book I own! Guess it is the rarity of colour photographs from this period. I intend to do one of my N gauge A3's to represent this one day (don't worry I'll backdate it to A1 condition if I decide to name if Galtee More!).

With regard to lining, I use a cheap bow pen which was kindly located by Rob Pulman. After some reading on lining over on one of the other forums, I plucked up the courage to hone the nib(?) and tried my hand at lining some Gresley 61 footers and later my 3D printed K3. I've found the process to be relatively easy with a little practice, examples below.

Also, I read somewhere about a cheaper alternative to Bob More pens. I do not own one so cannot comment on the quality but here is the link: http://www.peterspoerermodelengineers.c ... o.php?p=14
Steve
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

mick b wrote:MY latest A1/1 was done with Red Fox lining which was the thinnest I could find . Mixed traffic? I presume you mean Red.
Ah right, will check fox. Wasn't sure if it had an official name, I know goods locos were plain back by 1938 so guessed it was a sort of mixed traffic lining. ;)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Sorry for another question Mick. I see you put an original banjo dome on one of your A3s. What was the source? When did the lner change to the more common type steam collector.
Tom Foster
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Minefield you need RCTS 2a for the answer as many variants. Only the last builds ever had the banjo dome mine was from the spare box. I am sure there are a few sellers about.

RE the Spoerer pen bought one never got it to work well, only produced thick lines as its aimed at O gauge. Moore version much better. Mine was ebayed to pay part of the Moore pen cost.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks Mick, I'll be saving some money then as I won't be getting one! :)

Sorry Tom, if I'm hijacking your thread!
Steve
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atso wrote:Thanks Mick, I'll be saving some money then as I won't be getting one! :)

Sorry Tom, if I'm hijacking your thread!
Not at all Steve... I actually missed your initial post. I appreciate all the help! :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

It's amazing how things in your private life can knock your modelling thoughts.

I'm generally in the mind of getting rid of baggage in my life which is someway connect to 1950 era I model. I've had a lot of upset from some people and partly thinking of doing a full move over to 1938 as a fresh start.

What holds me back is the thought of 6 months down the line, I would really regret it. A friend has suggested while I focus on 1938, I store the 1950 stock until I need them..... maybe that is an idea.
Tom Foster
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Tom F wrote:It's amazing how things in your private life can knock your modelling thoughts.

I'm generally in the mind of getting rid of baggage in my life which is someway connect to 1950 era I model. I've had a lot of upset from some people and partly thinking of doing a full move over to 1938 as a fresh start.

What holds me back is the thought of 6 months down the line, I would really regret it. A friend has suggested while I focus on 1938, I store the 1950 stock until I need them..... maybe that is an idea.
There's a point Tom where you have to ask yourself "am I getting what I want out of this hobby?" I'm not sure the question you're asking yourself is the right one. Is it the era, the models, or that you associate them with the difficult period in your life you're describing. I absolutely agree that extra emotional baggage is not something anyone needs, but I would agree with your friend that you'd regret selling on or having rid of your 50s era models.

Storing them is a good idea, but I don't think you need to go as far as, say, I've done (which is pack up the whole bally lot until I can do something with them!) but to perhaps cement in your mind better what you want from your modelling, which includes layout/stock/era/etc.

Frankly Tom, I'd be sorry to see your 50s collection broken up and disappear (there are some stonking models in there and the collection as a whole is one you'd never be able to repeat in quite the same way). In any event, you should definitely showcase more of your 50s models on your blog before you make a final decision. They've proven inspirational to a lot of people (myself included) and will continue to do so in your writing, long after the models have departed if you take the time to catalogue them now.

Can't really say more other than I think having lots of interests within railway modelling (era, gauge, etc) is a positive thing so I wish you well with 1938 and hope to see more of that and the former era in future from you.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Thanks Simon, I really appreciate your post. Thank you. :) You generally say what deep down I feel.

What I've done is bought 3 of these from Cheltenham Model Centre, so I can store at least 30 locos from the 1950 period
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400538519008? ... 1497.l2649

I think deep down I will regret it if I move completely move. What I do intend to do is sell all the locos for the late 1950s period I have that I was going to do as a project with a mate. Have about 4 BR Green A4s, and 4 BR Green A1s.

I think I'm generally feeling a bit mixed up at the moment, so doing anything rash is silly. What I am finding is 1938 is like a breath of fresh air....but not without it's challenges.
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Apologies for my little outburst the other night. Feeling a lot better, and I've taken my friend James and Simon's advice, and I'm going get storage boxes for the 1950 era, while I focus on 1938. I can always go back to 1950 and then store the 1938 etc.

Jonathan Wealleans has pointed me to a rather cheap DJH C7 (Z Class) kit on ebay. £65 which is rather cheap when the current kit is £95 from DJH themselves. Being an older kit I know Mick B has spoken about replacing some bits for his (tender from Arthur K?). This is something I would be interested in doing too.

How I will tackle a C7/2 though is a completely different kettle of fish.... :shock:
Tom Foster
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

re tender for C7 I have one from Alexander Models. I dont think Arthur has done for that version.