West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by auldreekie »

Invidious to select. But I LOVE the way that black D3 sits down on its wheels..

auldreekie
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Not all the video I took turned out watchable (my camera has a very limited video function which doesn't allow refocussing once you engage video mode). This isn't too bad, though - imagine it in 1937 black and white with a plummy voiceover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz50mTNxP5g

Kudos to anyone who can identify all the vehicles.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

B16

At least two NER/LNER Bogie CCT's, Pigeon!!! :D Van , LMS ?CCT x 2, GNR full brake, LNER Suburban full brake , GCR CCT
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Not bad, Mick - you missed two.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Total guess Fish vans :D
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I was going to say they'd all been on my WB, then I realised a couple hadn't. From the loco there was a low roof bogie CCT (Chivers), GE 6 wheel CCT (D & S), LMS 4 wheel CCT (Parkside) GE D.536 PBV (D & S), high roof CCT (Chivers), MR CCT (David Geen), 4 wheel D. 120 PBV (D & S), 51' B (Kirk), GC 4 wheel CCT (D & S), an LMS van, ex-GN 6 wheel PBV (D & S).

I only finished the D 536 last week:

The two LMS vehicles were only put into the rake to stop others buffer locking. I'm not sure at all what the second one is - it's a 4 wheel highly ventilated van (milk/meat) with 'Mallard Models' underneath. It came to me built in a job lot.

Edit - may be a MR milk van, but no photo on their website to confirm.

In other news, I finished off the crane last night and it will be delivered on Sunday. The Ambis chain makes a huge difference and I'd recommend anyone building one of these to use it. As Mick commented some time ago,rigging it was something of a character forming experience.

Now the weather has cooled down a bit I might get back into the workshop a little.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Top work JW . Havent touched a model for last two weeks far too hot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Same probably goes for actresses and dancers Mick.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
I was visiting the g/f on monday and it was so hot that I felt like diving in the lake at the bottom of her garden. The trouble is that it is no more than 3 feet deep at the moment, even at the deep end. The shallow end is just mud.
Earlswood nob
Danby Wiske
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Danby Wiske »

earlswood nob wrote:The shallow end is just mud.
"Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood", as Messrs Flanders & Swann would say...
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

er glorious :lol:
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I 'Gnu' you were going to say that :roll:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

jwealleans wrote: You can make Kirks into clerestories - I have my workshop in an uproar at the moment while I rewire the rooms below, but once I'm straightened out I'll get out a Kirk conversion which Andy Rush of this parish sold me some time ago which will also be a 12 wheeler when I complete it. It's not a bad job either - a credit to the original builder.
Nice to see progress on this - the original builder was my long time, and sadly no longer with us, friend Nigel Hunt

And a super parcels train

Andy
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Like some others it seems, the cooler weather has seen a return to the workbench. I had a modelling day today, having done precious little during the week off. This afternoon has mainly been picking up wagon projects including some Ebay buys which need some attention.

I had hoped to get these private owners ready for Thurston at Butterley this coming weekend, but that isn't now going to happen. Folkestone in October is probably a realistic target.

I've also decided we're having more tractors on Thurston. One will go in an LMS 3 plank and another in an LMS D1986 1 plank open, scratchbuilt, which was an Ebay find.

These Ratio opens came in a collection of wagons. They're from the Engineers set, but I found that by cutting off the raised end stanchions they are transformed into ordinary traffic opens. The conflat is the new Bachmann with 'A' type container. I'm waiting for the accessory packs of these to arrive as I can see a few being carried in an assortment of vehicles not really intended for them.

The G2 and Colwick open were also Ebay spots - the G2 must be an oldish one as it's different from both the 51L and David Geen ones I have. It's most likely a D & S. I've reinstated or added some detail on this.

Finally an open C. This needs quite a bit doing to the underpinnings to make it run properly. The axleguards are a ridiculous distance apart. I will be fitting MJT units from stock.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

A nice selection there Jonathan!
Folkestone???? Your going to have a long journey!

I do fear though that last wigan is going to have some trouble running smoothly! :lol:
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939