West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

There aren't a great many brake van kits about ATM. The GCRS do one of the ex-D & S ones, a 4 wheeler, but I'm not sure what the supply situation is. Bill B is developing a number of kits but other than one of the NER designs which Paul Gallon is building over on RMWeb I'm not sure which are yet available. I believe he is planning to offer this one and at the moment I'd have to say that would be a better bet. In defence of the supplier, I have to restate that this is an unaltered (pure Jidenco) kit and I did know that before I started it. So I can't say it's all been a surprise.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

I have the following goods brake van kits available

BWK0230/4 NER Outside Framed Brake Van £39.60
BWK0231/4 NER Horizontal planked V1 Brake Van £27.70
BWK0232/4 NER D. V3 Brake Van £39.60
BWK0512/4 GCR D. 73/73A 6-Wheeled Brake Van £36.50
BWK1400/4 S&DJR 6 wheeled Mail Van £29.70
BWK3100/4 LSWR 18 Ton Goods Brake Van £44.60
BWK3145/4 LSWR 10 Ton Goods Brake Van £34.70

and these are planned

BWK0001/4 LNER D. 64 Toad E Brake Van
BWK0706/4 NBR D.32B 20T Brake Van
BWK0765/4 GNSR D.32B 20T Brake Van
BWK1106/4 HR Six wheeled Brake Van
BWK1510/4 LNWR D. 17B Brake Van
BWK1684/4 NSR 10 Ton Brake Van
BWK1712/4 MR Kirtley Brake Van

The first group are all also available in 7mm
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Cheers, Bill. For clarity, the model I'm building is the GC D73 (BWK0512/4). Paul Gallon's build of the V1/1 is on RMWeb here.

Are you planning to make any more of the axlebox/buffer prints available through Shapeways or directly, Bill? I have some MSWJR wagons to complete sometime and it would also be beneficial to those of us who've lost patience with ABS.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Just to move the model on a little, I came to the end of what pass for instructions last night. I've also moved the rocking axle to match up with the cutouts in the footboard more closely. Buffers are Dave Franks, modified as Graeme suggested on his thread.

There are some quite prominent body brackets which aren't in the kit and when I procure some I will also add some brass square section to reinforce the upper body and verandah edges. Some infill to thicken up the verandah edges will also be worthwhile. The roof will be added after it's had the Sprat & Winkle couplings fitted.
Last edited by jwealleans on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Won't the couplings being a bit high if you fit them to the roof? :lol: :roll:
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

That would be definitely "interesting", even by comparison with my generally lax standards....

auldreekie
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Unless Derek gets his height gauge upside down, I see little prospect of that happening.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

jwealleans wrote:Are you planning to make any more of the axlebox/buffer prints available through Shapeways or directly, Bill? I have some MSWJR wagons to complete sometime and it would also be beneficial to those of us who've lost patience with ABS.
I've not thought of extending the range on Shapeways, mainly because there seems to be a reluctance by people in the UK to use this service. I don't know what it is, maybe it is having to buy in euros or maybe it the carriage charge of around £6 or maybe a combination of both. If I were to sell them direct then the prices would have to go up by about a third to cover my costs. So I don't really know what the answer to this one is.
Royal Lancer
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Royal Lancer »

The Brakevan is looking good, I thought about purchasing one some time ago, but have enough kits in the drawer to work on. Also, how's the Crane coming along? :)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hi RL,

I'd wait until they've improved/reworked the kit or look at Bill's range if you specifically want one of these. I may have had the last of their existing stock anyway.

Crane is stalled for the moment; I'm expecting the wheels tomorrow and then once it's had running tests it can be primed and delivered. Thanks for your interest.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Brake van has gone to the Sprat and Winkle man to be 'done' and I won't see it again until August. Scottiedog brought me some wheels on Tuesday, so it's back to the crane for final fettling and finishing off.

First problem; put a set of wheels into the bogies and they're jammed right up against the bogie sideframes. These are EM and set with a Gibson back to back gauge. They wouldn't even turn, let alone run freely.

I dismantled the bogies and rebuilt the stretchers to the OO position. This allowed plenty of sideplay and free running. The brakes were fitted to the rear bogie, but I only used the etched brake shoes so allow plenty of room for the wheels to move laterally in the bogie.

Having done this, I offered them up to the chassis. The full-length stabilising beam in the middle of the chassis had to be cut out, and I also had to move the front one as far forward as it would go (I stuck it right under the buffer beam instead of slightly behind). That has allowed some room for the bogies to pivot. We'll try it on the layout at Wigan and see how it goes.

I then added some more detail from what pictures there are in Tatlow of this and other similar cranes.

It still needs the extended axles for the visible wheels; we'll be looking for the 2mm rod for that at Wigan too, I expect.
Last edited by jwealleans on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

What length do they need to be? If it turns out I have any suitable oddments I'll send you them.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'll have to check the drawing, but OTTOMH they project about 2mm from the wheel boss, so we're looking at something roughly 22.5mm.

I haven't entirely exhausted my piles of oddments yet, but if I do find I'm not able to find anything I'd be most grateful. The nearest I've found are some (I think) P4 Gibson axles which aren't long enough. It has to go through the paintshop and be rigged before that becomes vital, so there's a bit of time.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

jwealleans wrote:... but if I do find I'm not able to find anything ...
But how would you know?

Sorry, I'm in irreverent mode today :wink:
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I don't have any round steel, bright or otherwise, of a suitable length, but if you're willing to try aluminium I have a long piece of 2mm round.