West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Gamston Bank in my case, or walkabout as you say. My stopping points will rather predictably be any of the Eastern Region layouts, Isinglass, Eileens or the "OO + 1.7mm gauge" zone.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

jwealleans wrote:
Perhaps I should put both in the kit.
Only if there's room on the sheet, Arthur - if you're primarily supplying it as part of a kit, you should put in what's appropriate for the kit. After that it's optional. Anyone who can build this can easily substitute a wider strip to suit the application, as I will when I get round to finishing the whole thing off.
I'm sure that a minor reaarangement will find room for them. Fortunately the valance angles are separate from the lower footplate. On earlier tenders these were folded down from the footplate. Changing the size on those would be more of a problem.

Besides I may need them when I get around to doing the "Z" and the 4-6-2. -- Only joking don't hold your breath.!

ArthurK
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

I had hoped to get four tenders on one sheet of etch but that is not really feasible. With three to a sheet there is more than enough space for the extra (wider) valances. I can also improve the sheet layout (Jonathan's was packed a bit too tightly) so that is what I will go for. If any other (small) bits are needed there will be room for those as well. (e.g. fire-iron supports).

ArthurK
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Jonathan's was packed a bit too tightly
The only thing I remember being a bit fiddly to cut out were the brake shoes; everything else was fine.

Something else across the bench tonight - an identity swap for a friend from Ormesby. It's the first time I've handled one of these and I can see what the fuss is about. It is exquisite.

I have a feeling that once it's had the sealing coats of varnish this may be finding its' way into the stock box for this weekend. I have to be sure the plates won't fall off while in motion.....
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

JW I thought you had taste, nowt wrong with THE ESSEX REGIMENT lol. At least my team still have a loco named after them albeit a smelly 66.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I did say it was for a friend. I need a cheapie one with red panels for my team.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

jwealleans wrote:Turned out to be an F4 in the end, the only one allocated to Ipswich after the war. I was trying to find the 'before' photo of it which Autocar Publicity took but I seem to have filed it too effectively - do you still have it, AP?
Sorry, no, I've been too 'efficient' and had a [digital] clearout of old files.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

First update from me in a while.... back from holiday and started something a little different for Scottiedog. There's not much progress for an evening's work, but part of that was spent scrutinising the instructions and part reworking some of the bits after I set off building it for 00 instead of EM. Fortunately I have one of these in my own Strategic Reserve and was able to swap some bits between the two. Mick may recognise this.... anyone else?

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

If thats me ? the reply is :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :?:
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Ah, Mick, how quickly we forget.... I thought something so fiddly to put together might have stuck in your mind. I hope yours is correct as I'm relying on your pictures as well as Peter Tatlow's book.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote:. Mick may recognise this.... anyone else?
I've half an idea that it's a bogie........

Am I warm?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

I know what it is! I know what it is! But I'm not telling anyone, yet!!!!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

jwealleans wrote:Ah, Mick, how quickly we forget.... I thought something so fiddly to put together might have stuck in your mind. I hope yours is correct as I'm relying on your pictures as well as Peter Tatlow's book.
Well still none the wiser unless its the cranes bogie ???????? dont remember any problems other than it doesnt like any sort of curve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It is the inside framed bogie from the Cowans Sheldon 15 Ton crane. The stretcher bolts to the frames from the inside with tiny screws and needs approximately 7 hands to do it. With a bit of luck I may have a pair by the end of tonight.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Blimey, this thing is complicated. I was hoping PT's book might explain what some of the bits were, but it hasn't helped yet. The instructions do suggest making up subassemblies, so that's what I'm doing in the hope having fewer bits might make it more obvious what the remaining ones are for.

This is what we've got made up so far:

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.