West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2512silverfox

Re: West End Workbench

Post by 2512silverfox »

I have not taken one of the end view, but as they say on the TV, here is one I made earlier!

In this case one of the 52' early Gresley BTKs. Scratch built but same method.
Attachments
BTO end.jpg
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

2512silverfox wrote:I have not taken one of the end view, but as they say on the TV, here is one I made earlier!

In this case one of the 52' early Gresley BTKs. Scratch built but same method.
And a lovely job you have made of it!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very much so!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Bit quiet from me as my camera has been on a short break to France. However I've struggled manfully on despite the added burden of having to look after myself.....

J19 has acquired an identity and smokebox plates are on the way from 247 Developments.

I've painted more passengers than I care to think about and populated all the coaches I want to finish in time for Nottingham.

MJT D50:

Framlingham branch set:

The D27A. I've noticed that the drawing shows the wrong window vents, they should be a later 3 section type. Too late to change them now.

One of the next projects is already under way - this is a NuCast (probably) F4 ready for detailing bits. It will get a new mechanism eventually but for the moment a cosmetic upgrade will have to do. This is from the collection which Autocar Publicity was advertising last year. Has anyone else tried to strip the paint off one of these locos? I don't know what the chap used but it was remarkably resistant - three separate soaking in Nitromors removed less than half of it. In the end it went in a jar of Caustic Soda which did the trick. I shall be on to the Alan Gibson workshop for the bits very shortly.

Finally a bit of whimsy - a 7mm wagon which will run on Marske when it goes back into pregrouping, prewar mode. Peter Simmerson built and painted this and asked me to letter it as something fictitious but with a local flavour. The lettering is HMRS 4mm Private Owner. I'm getting towards the end of the sheet as you may be able to tell. For anyone interested the kit is Majestic Models MW 45.

Last edited by jwealleans on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Had a stinking cold for a couple of weeks so there's not been much to put up. I was waiting for bits from Alan Gibson - we were playing telephone tennis - so in the meantime another project came to mind. Regular readers may recall this:

which I acquired through the good offices of Autocar Publicity last year. I did query the tender at the time, but it is correct for this kit and (I learned) for all the Raven pacifics for the last year and a half or so of their lives. Thing is, I don't like it. So, the go-to man these days for things NER is Arthur Kimber, who I contacted to ask if he was planning the original 4125 gallon tender these drew. The answer was yes, it was planned, so I left it at that.

Just before Christmas, Arthur contacted me to ask if I'd do a test build of the tender for him. That suited me fine and a package duly arrived in early January. I left it to one side while I got the jobs for Thurston finished and then went to make a start. By then I'd managed to lose the instructions which came with it, but as it happened I found them over the weekend. I also found the right size wheels in stock and last night came up with the motivation to make a start.

This is about an hour and a half's work. The chassis is nickel silver, very nicely etched and folded up accurately. The instructions (for the 3940 gallon version, there aren't any for this one yet) suggested using 2mm bearings, but enlarging the frame holes for the ones I had looked like far too much work, so I soldered a 2mm washer each side, eased a file through to allow the axles to rotate easily and then thinned the outside washer a little to give a fraction of sideplay. It rolls nicely and goes round a 3' curve with no problems.

More as I feel up to it, which certainly won't be tonight.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Missed this one before. Are you stripping the Loco as paint appears rough and dodgy cab roof ?

Get well soooooooooooooooooooooon :shock:

My build used the 8 wheel tender. Be aware she doesnt like curves no wonder they were called bowling alleys it is v long !!
Last edited by mick b on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Evening all
I agree with you JW, I was thinking of fitting my original Raven A2 with an eight wheel tender, when I get around to building it. However it doesn't look right in your pic, so I'll stick with the six wheel tender.
Earlswood Nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote:I was waiting for bits from Alan Gibson - we were playing telephone tennis
Doubles as a matter of fact, although I eventually got him a few days ago.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I think I caught him Monday afternoon; the packet fell through the door yesterday, including two pairs of mainframes he'd had to mill up for me. You can't fault the service.

Mick - yes, the whole thing will eventually go through shops for a repaint. I recall something about the cab roof from your build, which I'll have to read up again before I start.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Yes just remembered it doesnt fit !! good luck :D
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Do you remember that Rob Bergin bashed one of those back into shape too?

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'd forgotten, but your reminder is noted (and I do recall it now you say). It's not a job I'm planning to do imminently so I hadn't started searching for other examples.
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

....and I built one from a new kit too. It all starts here and Mick's build follows later in the same thread
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Yours I very particularly hadn't forgotten, Morgan. Which reminds me, where do you get your neoprene tube and ball bearings from?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

mlgilbert30 wrote:I built one from a new kit too. It all starts here
I haven't seen that before. I am now insanely jealous.