2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: 50A York 'LEAMAN ROAD' MPD

Post by Tom F »

giner wrote:Tom, Don't mind me, I'll just sit here and gape in awe as usual.
Gape as long as you want giner....I don't mind, and there is plenty more from where that came from! ;)

As January is rather a depressing month where nothing much happens I decided to tackle a modelling project that would stretch me a little bit and keep me focused in between work. I'm not going to say what it is, but it involves a fair bit of modifying of some RTR and before you say it....it's not a Thompson an A2....I'm not yet ready to tackle something like that...but this project will certainly be a first step on the ladder! :)

Cheers
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 60527 »

Tom F wrote: Above is the results from my weathering last night and I would be interested to know what people thought, as weathering coaches is a very new area to me. I firstly used Klear on the coach sides and once dry I applied the airbrush. Then using a flat brush with thinners I streaked and let the paint run into all the nooks and crannies. This was repeated several times before moving on to the under frames and corridor ends. The roof was streaked with a brush with metalcote, then airbrushed again to tone the streaking down plus I lightly brushed the roof with powders to create a light dusting of soot on top.

I was going to use Klear again on the coach sides, but I've decided otherwise on this particular example. The next one I may Klear twice to give each coach a slightly different look. I'm probably in the minority but I do like post war teak without the lining!

Cheers
Tom can you clarify for me please? When you say you used Klear, was this sprayed or applied by brush? What did you apply with the airbrush? A dirty paint mix? And was the flat brush removing this layer or adding another? I have some Kirk kits that I am freshening up (backdating actually) and I am trying to capture that look, which you have successfully rendered with yours, so your technique is of great interest.

Cheers

John
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

60527 wrote:
Tom can you clarify for me please? When you say you used Klear, was this sprayed or applied by brush? What did you apply with the airbrush? A dirty paint mix? And was the flat brush removing this layer or adding another? I have some Kirk kits that I am freshening up (backdating actually) and I am trying to capture that look, which you have successfully rendered with yours, so your technique is of great interest.

Cheers

John
Hi John

I applied the Klear with a somewhat flat brush and spread it along the side of the coach/loco. The airbrush is for applying my paint onto the model, it's then that I use another brush with thinners which i use to streak down the side and get into the nooks and crannies. I do this several times until I'm happy. I then will give another waft over with the airbrush to slightly tone down.

I then use onto powders to do around the frames and tender coal space. 60539 was one of my longest jobs as I wanted to get it right, must have been 2 and a half hours.

I hope that helps. Next loco through the dirt works will be a GCR 2-8-0! :)

I hope this helps.
Tom Foster
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 60527 »

Very helpful - many thanks
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

60527 wrote:Very helpful - many thanks
No problem John...just saw your sig and realised you from RMweb! Good to see you on here!
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Now 60539 is finished, she sits quite happily on Leaman Road. I think the colour shows up quite nicely in this light.

I couldn't help but show some large York motive power alongside 60539. Here we see A1 60146 and V2 60977.

While the weather has been somewhat milder, I've had the opportunity to do some more ballasting. I'd say there is now only a quarter of the layout left to ballast, but I'm holding off on some of that as I will need the new shed in place first. Here we see the area behind the coaling stage and in front of the carriage sidings, which is now complete. You will notice the white metal PW hut in situ. These were a common site around 50A as I have found looking through photographs. I made a real mess when trying to solder the thing together, so for the moment this one sits there to give an idea what a finished one will look like. RMweb member James has kindly offered to build and paint one which is currently in his care.

So here we see one of 50As PW/storage huts while Doncaster's 61107 sidles past in the background. (sorry about the backscene seam line...I have no photoshoppery skills!)

Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Afternoon all on what has been a very cold, but beautiful day.

First call of the day was a brief meet up with my modelling friend Simon at Ferrybridge Services to collect some items of mine he had picked up recently from Tim. Due to his continuing work on Peterborough North and his own modelling commitments, Tim will no longer have any association with Leaman Road, but I would like thank him for his help in the early stages of Leaman Road's development.

I have now finished the O1 and it seemed only right to photograph her beside the line that 63755 actually worked on in 1950. As a Hull Dairycoates (53A) locomotive she would have been seen working back and forth from Hull, so having the Hull-Selby line in the background seems very appropriate. I used a photo taken in August 1950 of 63755 as the basis for the weathering job and I'm pleased with the results. It can be found on page 218 of Yeadon Register 24B.

I'm very pleased how the new smokebox door has worked out. This was my first attempt at any type of hacking towards a RTR loco, so I'm very pleased how it has come out.

Now back home I decided to set her up on Leaman Road. Having worked in with a Hull-Dringhouses Class H (Via Gascoigne Wood) we see 63755 on 50A.

Tom Foster
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

Looks the business Tom. The smokebox door makes all the difference in that it now looks like most O1s. The weathering is a triumph too you must be pleased with how it has turned out.

Cheers...Morgan
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

mlgilbert30 wrote:Looks the business Tom. The smokebox door makes all the difference in that it now looks like most O1s. The weathering is a triumph too you must be pleased with how it has turned out.

Cheers...Morgan
Thanks Morgan, I'm very pleased with the results. As you say, the smokebox door makes a big difference and looks more right. If anyone has an old Hornby D49, it makes the job much easier to do.

Having the Hull-Selby line in the background made it for me! :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Hello
I've just set up a blog for my modelling. A few fellow friends have also done the same, so I thought I would have a go.
Feel free to have a look. :)

http://50aworks.wordpress.com/
Tom Foster
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Tom F wrote:Hello
I've just set up a blog for my modelling. A few fellow friends have also done the same, so I thought I would have a go.
Feel free to have a look. :)

http://50aworks.wordpress.com/

I like the layout of your Blog Tom. It looks very neat & clear.
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I concur. It's a very nice layout there Tom. I think it's possible to import all of your old blogs, btw, into the wordpress one (wordpress has, I think, an import facility).
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:I concur. It's a very nice layout there Tom. I think it's possible to import all of your old blogs, btw, into the wordpress one (wordpress has, I think, an import facility).
Thanks Will5210 Simon, I'm still playing at Trial and Error with it.
I'm thinking of adding some adsense once things start picking up. I'm guessing I should be able to as I added them on my old website as I have them on my youtube channel....that too could do with sorting out.
Tom Foster
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

I think you should permit us a weekly "fix" of Leaman Road loco line-ups please!
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:I think you should permit us a weekly "fix" of Leaman Road loco line-ups please!
Funny you should mention that Earl, I have an update, although it's of LMS origin (runs for cover).

With an early finish and beautiful sunshine in Harrogate I thought it would give me ample opportunity to photograph my recent weathering project outside. Sadly the clouds came across by the time we had got home but I still decided to photograph outside in the natural light....and at least it is dry.

After discussions with friends off the forum who are far more London Midland Region savvy than myself, it became clear there are a number of sheds which would have dispatched Black 5s/Jubilees on cross country services, which would either have terminated at York or would find the the LMR loco coming off at 50A.

The second of the Jubilees for Leaman Road is now finished (some may remember 45561 Saskatchewen of Bristol Barrow Road also in BR Green currently on shed.) I recently got my hands on the RCTS book on Jubilees. It really is a godsend, with information on all livery changes that took place on each member of the class and in which year it took place.

Below is 45590 'Travancore' of 19B Sheffield Millhouses. She went BR Green in February 1950 so I've depicted her in a clean, but working condition. Nameplates from 247 Developments.

I used Klear to depict water that has spilled down the tender side when being watered.

An attempt to get a close up of the valve gear, I used Humbrol 10 thinned then gave a thin wash of Klear to give an oily sheen.

I'm now well on with planning my next Jubilee. This will be a little more challenging as it is a long firebox version (which Bachmann currently do not make apart from the old Mainline model.) I have a plan for producing the long firebox and boiler, but also requires a different livery and tender. It should prove an interesting project.

For those wishing to have guess it's from a shed far further west than Sheffield....as far west as you can go in the North West.
Tom Foster