West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks chaps. Hopefully they're in the post by now. Meanwhile, another one rolls off the bench... nice straightforward build, this. The roof isn't attached or detailed as it will need to be stuck on after painting and glazing.

D & S NER Ballast Brake (DS 230). Does anyone have any sort of idea how the brake rigging should go? I have two bits and some wire and not much else to go on.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, still in the dark about the brakes, so a few suggestive bits of wire will have to do. In the meantime, while keeping my head above water, been doing bits and bobs to locos this week. First of all I can confirm that Branchlines can supply these:

Two sets is a pair. They are very nice when assembled, I've used them before on another K3. Progress on the intended recipient as well, delayed a bit as I had a paint reaction on the cab edges (only? bizarre) and had to strip and repaint it.

The two B1s are all but done, coaled and crewed and awaiting final inspection in daylight and maybe a touch more weathering here and there:

Lastly I've had a first go at the Ivatt - again a look in daylight is required and then a bit more here and there. I'm finding it hard to fit a crew into that cab.

Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

What kind of paint was it that reacted? Did it look any wetter or more heavily built up on the edges than elsewhere?

You're on the way to proving, via that K3, that even if (as alleged in the 2-8-0 debate) the the RTR manufacturers don't offer "anything" that specifically caters for the Northern part of the LNER (although what's the J72 in that case?) there is certainly something that can be done about the problem by those prepared to try.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

With regards to the Ivatt, fit a fallplate on the loco that falls short of the tender footplate (still fills the gap) and put the fireman on the tender footplate :)
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Paint was Games Workshop black and it was also their varnish. Given how cold and wet it's been here for the last little while I've been very thorough about keeping both paint and model in the airing cupboard and leaving 12-24 hours between coats. It was definitely not what was required and rather offpissing.

Blackout - that had crossed my mind although as the loco isn't mine I don't want to modify it too much. ISTR that the problem was as much vertical as horizontal - I'll have another look at what crew I have available and see how best to fit them.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Long day today, but a bit of relaxing fiddling at the bench to wind down at the end of it.... this is starting to come together now.

It started showing that reaction again along the bottom of the cab front this afternoon, but then when I took it up into the damper, colder attic it disappeared again. It's going to be weathered over and left well alone after that, I suspect.

I can't go more than a few days without building something... this is the next of the kits for Scottiedog.

D & S V4 brake van. Another one of Dan's older kits and it shows.. a bit of a fiddle, plastic floor and then more bits to solder on afterwards... still, it all fits together and it looks like what it's supposed to be. You can't ask for much more.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Christmas and work notwithstanding we have been doing a bit from time to time. I've got half way through this box of kits and had the spray cans out:

Roofs aren't attached to the brake vans as otherwise David won't be able to glaze after final painting.

The next in the pile is the Tool Van. This has beading round all the sides. The instructions do say that it's a bit tedious to apply and they aren't wrong. Still, it looks OK once it's cleaned up and washed.

It is a 6 wheeler; there's an interesting affair with bits of tube for the centre axle which I may have a crack at tomorrow if my brain feels up to it. After that I think it's just castings for this one.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Bits of tube and castings suitably attached and it was all a lot quicker than I was expecting. I did have to reinforce the stepboards with some hefty wire as they were starting to feel a bit fragile.

I think Dan must have had a 'moment' when he packed the roofs with these, though. I've now started the Riding Van - even more beading but equally tedious.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Beading, beading, beading.... droplights, droplights... hinges.....ventilators....

.. and that about sums up my evening.

Fortunately I have found the missing ventilator on the bench, having thought it had gone down the plughole or pinged into oblivion while I was washing it down.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

That could really catch on for the BBC on a Saturday night - Strictly Come Soldering :D

Regards,

Vernon
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Nice to flux you, to flux you....?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Stop all this fluxing around and get on with what you're meant to be doing.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Don't worry, I have been....

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Looking very nice, and you've certainly not been "fluxing around" unduly to have made such progress. Am thinking about the the Dynamometer car......