Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by mick b »

Just acquired this DJH ex NER Class C7/Class Z .
As you can see this will be bit of a challenge. Fortunately all very old glue construction, so will be easy to strip and rebuild from the beginning again. The Tender will be replace with the much better Dave Alexander version. I have ordered some much needed detail parts from Arthur K including crossheads which arent made out of whitemetal as those supplied by DJH.
I have a few jobs ahead of this one which will be a winter project.
I was amazed that it actually works when tested it is fitted with a Anchoridge D11 motor that will be replaced with a Mashima/High Level box.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You could take the cylinders off and run it as Thompson's imagined two-inside-cylinder rebuild........
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Not a class of engine you see every day, I'll look forward to the rebuild 8)

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Yes, carry on, Mick. I've also just acquired one with similar mechanics. I shall be interested to see what you do with it.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Good evening,

You mentioned replacing the tender. I know that PDK produces a suitable (I think) tender. Have you seen or tried that one?

Regards,

Vernon
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Alexander version is cheaper !! The only PDK one I have built is Great Northerns which was about 6 out of 10 for quality IMHO.

edit
Just looked at their site their range is between £65 and £70 :lol: :shock: There is no NER Tender listed , they maybe available as they have done the B16 recently. For the price you dont even get buffers or wheels :roll:
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

mick b wrote:Alexander version is cheaper !! The only PDK one I have built is Great Northerns which was about 6 out of 10 for quality IMHO.

edit
Just looked at their site their range is between £65 and £70 :lol: :shock: There is no NER Tender listed , they maybe available as they have done the B16 recently. For the price you dont even get buffers or wheels :roll:
Good Morning Mick,

Series of good points well made! Sounds like it's an Alexander.....

Regards,

Vernon
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Oh yes :lol:
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

mick b wrote:Alexander version is cheaper !! The only PDK one I have built is Great Northerns which was about 6 out of 10 for quality IMHO.

edit
Just looked at the PDK site - they have a picture of Earl Marischal up. Looked good until I realized there's a flaw with the livery. Wasn't 2002 all over green onto the curved deflectors, like 2001, even with the additional smoke deflectors?
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Just played follow the leader and looked at PDK myself. Some impressive models in the gallery, but... surely all three of their P2's have the wrong tender? And the barrel on the original P2 is a tad oversized? I do like the look of their Southern gear though. :oops:
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Perhaps a PDK thread ?. I am no expert on the P2 a bit too north for me .

Couple of 51L kits done.

ex NER C1 Wagon
1.jpg
ex NER G1 Van
2.jpg
On the go a D&S ex GCR Meat van , this will have a Clerestory roof when done
3.jpg
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Apologies if you have been asked this before (I am too lazy to go through all the previous postings) but when doctoring the Hornby models what paint do you use that matches the Hornby finish?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Precision Doncaster Green is normally ok.
There appears to be some variation on the Green Hornby use.
The USA version I convertered recently is a weird Blue Green shade as a example.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

First up the GCR Meat Van now awaits delivery of some Dullcote matt varnish. I can then add wheels, remainder of Brake Gear and some weathering
9.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Sir Nigel Gresley in wartime livery which I have never seen modelled. The Chrome lettering was painted matt yellow when the Loco was painted Black. This is a conversion using Railroad chassis and originally a BR Green Falcon Loco body and tender.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg