Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by 60800 »

Thanks, I remember you talking about the cab when you used it :)

I've only seen a D49 in a cabinet at modelzone, the valve gear puts me off it.
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I agree, but thats one of the reasons they are cheap. It will be a nice challenge to see how it turns out, it hasnt got much competition either. McGowan and I believe DJH did kits no idea if either are any longer available, I doubt it. The ones I have seen on Ebay dont look any better than the Hornby offering.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I'm not very good at modifying locos. All I've done is switched the chimney on an A3 and put a coupling on the front of an A4 (I'll post a few pics on my workbench thread soon of 60007)
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

mick b wrote:Some for Jim

These are based on Great Northern 1470

Left to Right Great Northern , Sir Fred Banbury, Enterprise and Solario
7.jpg
These are based the NRM Flying Scotsman all of which were damaged when obtained
8.jpg
9.jpg
I will do some A4s in due course
Why thank you Mick. :D :D You don't realise how much those excellent images have cheered me up. I have had the most unbelievably horrendous day (teenager issues). :( Completely "knocked the wind out of my sails". Do you fancy a lodger? I should love to escape and spend all day admiring your models and watching them run! :)
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

er no :lol:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Re the D49 Mick: What size are the coupled axles in that new Hornby budget chassis? I was wondering if they are 3mm and would the lined green pacific wheels therefore swap-in, eliminating the 'orrible traction tyres in the process.
I may well still do my Shire upgrade in due course by shoe-horning a super-detail Schools mechanism into the body, but my mind remains open to the alternative of maybe using the "easi-fit" cheaper new chassis, Comet valve gear, and a coupling to transfer weight from a heavy tender onto the rear of the loco.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Axles are ID with the A3 . At the moment I have lined A3 wheels on the geared axle using the A3 gear which is id with the D49 . As the loco weighs nothing (it really is that light) and nowhere at all to add lead, I have used the original D49 set with traction tyres and a white line added, nowhere as good as the Hornby version, as its behind the valve gear it will do.
I have also modified the awful toylike valve gear using A3 pistons (of a broken valve gear set) with new holes in the cylinder moulding to suit. I havent put it all back together yet I am hoping it all holds together when done and running. :shock:
If you can suggest a way of using the tender I will be very interested as it will gladly get rid of the tyres.
I have just bought a new K3 lined green tender for £20 inc postage from Bachmann which I thought was quite reasonable and saves a lot of time too. I will have to fit pickups to this as the D49 is only picking up from one wheel set on the Loco due to the tyres.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

D49 chassis up and running.
After some experiment I have filled the loco boiler above the motor with lead. As a result I have now fitted A3 drivers losing the traction tyres of the front set and gained lining to both sets and fitted a A3 slightly modified and lined bogie wheels . A vast improvment at minimal cost. Etched brakes added to front drivers too. Pistons are also modified A3.
She pulls four compartment coaches without problems, slight wheelspin on five. Running is excellent now it has pickups on all four drivers. I will also run pickups to the tender, any suggetions re best method(s) of removeable connection welcome.
2.jpg
3.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Modified LNER Bachmann wagons.
The unfitted version has had the door interior added. Both versions have Lanarkshire Models buffers added.
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

D49 mechanism looks good Mick, description sounds good too. Re the load transfer from the tender, about which I forgot to comment: My probable plan would be to take out the first two fixed axles of the tender, cut off the outside ends of the axles or replace them with inside bearing wheelsets, and re-fit these into a "secret" inside framed bogie truck which would sit between the frames at the front of the tender, attached to the rest of the tender by no more than a springy wire. The front of the tender body can then be filled with lead or suchlike, and be hung on the rear of the loco by a simple hook and eye arrangement.
With load on the rear drawbar of the loco, you can then stick even more weight in the front of the boiler to gain traction without loss of balance.

The similar scheme in my D10 tender is shown here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7321&p=67235#p67235
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Some production line pictures of finished converted Hornby Pacific tenders to 1928 condition all commisioned by Jim.
2.jpg
3.jpg
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Even better than Doncaster works! Looking great thanks Mick! :D :D
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

That poppet valve gear's got me thinking.

How d'you make the gearbox on the return crank?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

It comes pre built from Puffers :D
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Another ebay "bargain" arrival a NRM A3.
This was listed as not running in "display condition" but damaged !! sold for spares. No idea what kind of display this would appear on some kind of scrapyard display perhaps !!

Chassis
All that was needed was a slight straighting of the the valve gear and a drop of oil . Now runs fine :D as I have seen chassis's sell for more than what I paid for this one I was straight away happy !

Loco body

Oh dear what do people do with such superb models.
Most of the damage is a easy repair. The only problem will be where the top corner of the roof/sidesheet join has been sliced off . The cab side sheets will have to be filed and repainted.
The usual damage otherwise cab doors ,fall plate,missing defectors which I wouldnt have used anyway, loose cab to footplate and vac return pipe.
2.jpg
7.jpg

Tender

A lesson on how not to remove a tender body form the chassis. Well I am guessing thats what the last owner was trying to do !!!!.

Chassis scrap at least you can get them from EKM.
Tender body with some work is saveable hopefully. I have a spare tender so this one will be stored for future use anyway.
3.jpg
Last edited by mick b on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.