Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: LNER Models

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

mick b wrote:Has anyone a old style Hornby A4 to compare with the current versions buffer height as my old ones went via ebay many moons ago.
Identity Change

Almost exactly the same Mick - the old A4 bufferbeams can actually be sliced and made to fit the new type of bodyshell - the buffer height is almost the same, one bodyshell to another, possibly a little higher. On my Merlin model, the previous owner had used the old type of A4 bufferbeam to stick in (rather crudely) as a replacement bufferbeam.

When restoring the front end, I used the bufferbeam off the Railroad A4 60022 I cannabalised for spare parts (and for my A2/2 build) to slot in place and then repair rivets, etc.

The surprising thing is how much you can see the design development of Hornby A4s through the ages through the components which are shared, and even still used today. Can't say I will ever go back to the old tender drive bodyshell shape.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks for the info . I will track one down .
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I must emphasize, however Mick, that I think the better option is to break a Railroad A4 up for spares, particularly if you want a better fitting bufferbeam. Using the old bodyshell, you'd have to cut out the bufferbeam from the bodyshell, whereas on a Railroad A4 it's the same as the current super detail one - stuck to tabs inside the loco body and therefore easy to remove and replace.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Got one on way !! thanks !!!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Ah my apologies Mick, misunderstood your previous post.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

No you never misunderstood. I have had one offered to me via RM Web, since my other post re tracking one down .

Made it much easier :)

thanks
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Ah gotcha! Good to hear. Looking forward to the restoration. I have one in a single format that'll have its valances removed soon, and it needs some work at the front end. I notice your tender is missing the same steps that mine is - strange coincidence!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Nothing strange , they all seem to suffer from :-

A4 front buffers , doors and rear tender steps

A1/3 Doors, NRM smoke deflectors and anti vacumn pipe as just the right place for clumsy fingers and again rear tender steps and front footplate steps.

Handrails on tender sides on all another victim and the cursed cab wind defectors and lamp irons on anything they are fitted too.

I appreciatte they are detailed but Hornby should these making these items out of etched brass or other metals, they are simply not upto any kind of rough handling or sometimes even normal handling !!
It would not be a major problem if Hornby provided any kind of customer service on any of these parts as has been said on so many times before. I never have as many problems with Bachmann products and on the whole they are not far behind on detail as Hornby

At £150 a pop or thereabouts it amazes me how they are abused by some people!! . :?

Re Sparrow Hawk a new front buffer section has arrived and has just been glued on. It is not a perfect fit which makes me think it is a Railroad version perhaps a slight difference in the noses?. The difference is where the valance curves downwards , the replacement moulding is about 1mm out on the match. Having said that a little filler will soon sort that out !!

I am very grateful for the replacement which has saved a lot of time as hassle.

Some pics to follow

Precision Garter Blue is much darker than the Hornby colour. Has anyone found a better match for the Hornby colour please ? Railmatch ?

thanks
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Mick,

I'm sure that Humbro do an acrylic Garter Blue in their range. Just a guess,but judging on who their parent company is it might be a far bet that the colours are very close to each other...
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Railmatch Garter Blue was very close indeed to the finish on a couple of Hornby A4s that I mauled about. Another example required Railmatch Garter Blue with just a hint of green added to get a better match. Bear in mind that the Railmatch Blue looks darker once it has an added varnish coat that gives a high sheen or full gloss finish, as compared to the raw paint finish which is fairly flat and looks quite pale and powdery.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks re paint comments. A bit of experimenting in due course.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Don't use the Humbrol acrylic unless you are spraying it with an airbrush. It doesn't brush on at all - same for all of the Humbrol acrylics I've tried.

Railmatch seems to be the best bet if done lightly.

Mick, RE the bufferbeam, I used the Railroad one too, and what do you know? Mine needed filler too! It was good in the end as I managed to get rid of that annoying mould line too, and make it more accurate (I think - rivets probably needed doing better)

That loco is now Walter K. Whigham now, after a hasty conversion back to single chimney and renaming...! Still have the nameplates for Lord Faringdon for another time.

I agree RE the cost versus damage - was amazed to get the purple A4 with the level of damage it had :? I've since managed to get for between £30 and £55 four of the Kingfisher single chimney models for various mods, and none of them have had any damage. All the Mallard models, however, have had appalling damage in some respects! It's probably where the Mallard is bought for a child or youngster, and the others bought for modelling. Don't understand the damage my Merlin model had though, that was something like £140+ when new and a limited edition too!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Precision with a drop of green seems to have done the trick. Luckily the replacement is in Garter Blue so only need to paint in the joints, so not a major paint job. :D major result !!

As for damage to models , very strange some people just dont look after anything!! be it models, cars etc etc

Loco has come up well SAC :D you just need some staples for lamp irons :shock: :lol:
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

mick b wrote:Precision with a drop of green seems to have done the trick. Luckily the replacement is in Garter Blue so only need to paint in the joints, so not a major paint job. :D major result !!
Sounds good, looking forward to seeing the update :)
As for damage to models , very strange some people just dont look after anything!! be it models, cars etc etc
Agreed!
Loco has come up well SAC :D you just need some staples for lamp irons :shock: :lol:
Thanks Mick - just waiting on an etched set I've ordered to arrive :)