Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: LNER Models

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Hi Mick, now I see why you were after the photos a while back! :)

Immaculate work as always. 8) I was hoping your thread would spring into life again! :D We seem to be going through a bit of a "quiet patch" on the modelling side of the forum!

Please could you explain the background to what you have done? - I have never delved into the accuracies of the Hornby J94 - are you creating a different version here or replacing inaccurate detail on the RTR model (or a combination of both)?
Last edited by 2002EarlMarischal on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Jim

Upgrade detail to LNER condition, anything unpainted is new add on bits .

The actual Loco is quite a good moulding already, i presume that it has been around for a few years ?

cheers
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Hi Mick,
Do like the J94, I think the loco has been around since the early 90s (I think 1991 but I am not sure why).
Are you leaving the hopper bunker? The LNER only changed two of these 8006 was one (can't remember the other), all the rest kept the lower bunker and were modified by BR.

Thanks
Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Yes 8006 I have a photo of it. The other one is/ was 8012 both at Immingham Dock
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Ah yes 8012, I did think that. I hope Hornby get it right for 8009, we shall wait and see.
jolly good show.
thanks
Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

My first ebay bargain for quite a while. Picked this up for a song , poorly described as was the level of damage. On arrival I am pleased to say it runs perfectly and judging from the wheel treads has seen little use.
As you can see on arrival it is filthy and looks a wreck. A quick clean and other than the obvious front bufferbeam I will have to make ( unless anybody has a spare one for sale ??? :lol: ). The loco isnt that bad at all.
Other parts required are new Cab doors (I have a Peasholm etch) new tender rear steps again I have etched spares , Lamp Irons for the front end.New Cylinder draincocks for the chassis which is otherwise complete. Re glue some broken handrails and minor touch up on some of the handrail knobs and thats about it.
As I have a spare single chimney from the wrecked A4 Hornby Silver Fox body, which also provided the cab for Wolf of Badenoch I have decided to make a single chimney version A4 which I dont possess.

This will become Sparrow Hawk in due course
1.jpg
7.jpg
4.jpg
Last edited by mick b on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

More glue and filth
2.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg

J94 is now in Black and awaits re assembly and detailing.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Looks like someone tried fitting a snowplough to it with that damage... or something similar? Do you remember how it was described?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

It stated remains of buffers where someone had tried to glue them back on :shock: and not much else said. The ebay photo showed the front missing, as said earlier the listing wording probably put people off bidding :lol:

All of the glue has either picked off or has now been removed with a light application of Acetone. No more damage done :D luckily . Double chimney taken off, easy to replace with the single version.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

mick b wrote:My first ebay bargain for quite a while. Picked this up for a song , poorly described as was the level of damage. On arrival I am pleased to say it runs perfectly and judging from the wheel treads has seen little use.
As you can see on arrival it is filthy and looks a wreck. A quick clean and other than the obvious front bufferbeam I will have to make ( unless anybody has a spare one for sale ??? :lol: ). The loco isnt that bad at all.
Whoever owned that loco should be reported to the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to LNER Models. :shock:

Thank goodness it has found a good home! :)

A lot of these come up with missing buffer beams - I'm sure that a resin version would sell well. If you make one Mick, how about making a mould of it for future use? Pleeeease! :wink:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Jim
Mould!! wouldnt have a clue where to start . I will leave that to Graeme and anyone else with the skill, I wonder if he would like to have a go ??.
As Jim has said it appears to be a weak spot on the Hornby A4, I do wonder what the owners do with them when the fall off. Not very small how do they all seem to get lost. :?
At the moment I am going to try and make the shape from plastikard with some spare brass buffers I have in stock. If that fails a cheap old style A4 body/nose will be cut up to fit the current gap.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

I would think that good old plastikard and body filler plus a couple of spare buffers might work. I wonder - I have a spare Bachmann A4 body whose cab was cut off for my 4-8-2 conversion - could the front of this be cut off to fit - If so Mick you are welcome to it!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

East Kent Models have some unpainted and undecorated A4 bods which can be used as a source for the missing bits.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

And I thought my Mallard used to be duffed up :shock:
I'm always amazed at how people can manage to knock the bufferbeams off hornby A4's. My Mallard has had everything imaginable knocked off (in the turbulent early days of the layout where clearances were a massive problem) except the bufferbeam. Apart from a scratch on the valances, she has now been returned to almost sparking condition, and with a few tweaks of the chassis actually runs better than when I bought her: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7089

A bachmann A4 bufferbeam wouldn't work if you wanted to keep the buffers at the same height, you'd find that the bottom curves up about 2mm before the bottom of the hornby A4's bufferbeam.
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks re Bachmann A4 buffer info.

I have accepted the kind offer from St J . We will see what we can do with some microstrip and filler in due course, if needed :shock: .

Has anyone a old style Hornby A4 to compare with the current versions buffer height as my old ones went via ebay many moons ago.