Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: LNER Models

Post by Atso »

Looking great Mick!

I have to say Humorist is my favourite of these. I've always had a fasination with this locomotive due to the number of modifications it received in the 30's. I have to say that Humorist in this condition always appeals to me! 8)

Kingfisher looks great in the early apple green livery and the A2/3 is just too stunning for words!
Steve
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Just fabulous Mick, all three of them.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Excellent!

I wonder if this sudden upsurge in numbers of models of variants of the "usual" LNER pacifics indicates that they are getting ready to take over the world?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Excellent!

I wonder if this sudden upsurge in numbers of models of variants of the "usual" LNER pacifics indicates that they are getting ready to take over the world?
If I had the resources and the space, I would have a model of every A1/3, A4 and P2!! :lol: Can there have ever been more elegant designs of large express locomotives?

I have always rather liked the way that the Spitfire has been described as the "second finest set of curves known to man". I can't argue with that, but coming a very close third are Gresley's masterpieces!

Humorist and Kingfisher arrived today - can you see my grin burning through your computer screens?!! :D :D :D Huge thanks Mick!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

:D :D :D :D :D :D your welcome enjoy.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Some of the nearside of the A2/3 Chamoissaire . Detail on this side Vacumn ejector pipe raised 2mm and a Flaman recorder bracket added in front of rear driver.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Front end using flash
3.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A couple more at work.
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Fantastic work, well done mick b.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Upgrades on some Ian Kirk suburbans which I built about 25 years ago. All have recieved MJT underframes which were a much needed improvement. Also changed to NEM couplings which has greatly improved their roadholding on bends.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Last edited by mick b on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Very nice, realistic looking models Mick! :)
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

A fine set of coaches, and locos. Just out of curiosity, how many people on here have used the bogies supplied with the Ian Kirk kits, and out of those, how many have had them shatter or felt the need to replace them?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
gresleybear
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by gresleybear »

Hello. I have built scores of Kirk coaches and almost always use the bogies as supplied. Sometimes the plastic is brittle, so it must be cut away from the sprue very carefully. The bolster width must be adjusted so that the wheels are not too loose in their axlebearings. Nonetheless, they are inexpensive, easily assembled, give good service and look the part. Hope this helps.
Forward!
John S.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

All of the Suburbans are on the original Kirk bogies other than the first full brake photographed above, which has Whitemetal Fox bogies. It runs slightly better than the others , but nowhere near enough to justify the extra replacement cost. I also add small pieces of Lead inside the bogies which also helps.

As said earlier the NEM couplings have made these much better runners too.
Last edited by mick b on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by M Gair »

Hi Mick,

Nice selection of coaches and Locos.

How have you fitted the NEM couplings the Kirk Bogies? Can you show with some photos?

I have fitted a Kadee using No5 to a kirk full brake to Kadees in Hornby NEM pockets, I think with No 20's, though I may have used Kadee No18.

Would be interested to see.
Hopefully this time tomorrow we may have another LNER loco on the way from Bachmann, but we could also be disappointed. Heres hoping.

Mark.