Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Models

Post by mick b »

Etched detail added to the A2/3
6.jpg
Now in the paint stage

Also on the go is a commision for Jim. This is his "battered" A4 after his attempt at a repaint ( now stripped ) to become Kingfisher.
1.jpg
2.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Now in Apple Green and awaits lining after a couple of days for paint to harden. Buffer moulding refitted.
4.jpg
5.jpg
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

As I've said elsewhere, some things are better left to the experts! :D :D :D

Whilst I'm here Mick, did you mention that it was possible to replace the standard double chimney on a Railroad Falcon body with a single chimney? It's just that the former is so much larger and has 2 holes (obviously). :?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Not that I remember.
The main problem is that I am not aware of anyone who sells one?.
Wills/Finecast do one but as you mentioned on the W1 thread , thier site it is not working at mo ? have they gone bust ??.
That is designed to fit a large hole in the smokebox on the Wills A4. With careful cutting I see no reason why it would not fit a Hornby A4.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

I have got the the Hornby single chimney from poor old Guillemot that you used the cab from for Lord President.

Do you think that would cover the hole left after removing a double chimney from Railroad Falcon? (I'm thinking of creating the part valence-removed William Whitelaw you see - just a slight variation on my Falcon to Peregrine theme).
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I doubt it due to difference in size of the chimneys.
Measure and compare mounting holes inside the smokebox. Wouldnt be easy to fill any hole , due to smokebox curve if needed.
No idea if Hornby have gone to the expense of creating seperate bodies for single and double versions?
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

It's far easier to go from a single Chimney to a double. The problem goining the other way is you'll need to fill the other aperture.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

More good-looking conversions there!

Re the A4 chimney: The bodies with doubles definitely have the front pot opened out through the body shell. Although the flare at the front edge of the base of a single chimney might partly cover the hole left by the front pot of the double, I doubt if it would go all the way over it. Filling and smoothing, over a backing patch, shouldn't be impossible if you have, or can develop, the correct "knack" or experience. You may also have to make-good any damage caused even further down the slope of the nose if you are unlucky enough to find that the factory glue has crept right down to the front apron of the original double chimney and formed a good grip on the bodyshell.

If there's enough demand for A4 single chimneys I suppose I could cast some copies of a couple of spares that I have collected. I only made a pattern for the double chimney originally, as that was all I wanted myself and I imagined that most others would be wanting to convert the single-chimney BR A4s that Hornby has issued into the predominant BR period double-chimney versions.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A2/3 ready for lining
IMG_3529.jpg

Another one for I am doing for Jim .
This started out as a BR version of Ladas, a repaint to become Humourist after lining and numbering.
1.jpg
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Good progress in the loco works I see! :D :D
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A2/3
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Now ones done for Jim

Humourist
6.jpg
7.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Kingfisher
4.jpg
5.jpg
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Hmm.

The more I follow this thread, the more I want to repaint an A4 apple green.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Works of art as always Mick - what a superb finish to all three!

Chamossaire looks terrific and I am absolutely thrilled with Humorist and Kingfisher! :D :D :D :D :D

The setting of your layout gets me every time too. 8) Please could you package that up for me as well? You know you want to start again and I could provide a very good home! :lol: