Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Models

Post by mick b »

As I hate trying to line washout plugs/mudhole doors. I decided to make use of the nicely lined A2 cab. Luckily a etched A3 cab was obtained from ebay. Looking at the Bachmann version there were three problems a part V front, slight slope on the sides by the windows and cut outs on the sides.
After cutting of the cab front and the etched cab front I have arrived at below. Archer rivets will be used on the front of the cab after priming.
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

7.jpg
8.jpg
Mudholes to be filled and etched replacements used. I have decided its much easier to respray the boiler than trying to patch paint.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Very resourceful Mick! 8) Good progress already!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Looking terrific Mick. :)

Archer rivets - what size do you use, if I may ask?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Rivets all sizes depending on location on the model. Are you after a Ref No ?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

mick b wrote:Rivets all sizes depending on location on the model. Are you after a Ref No ?
That makes sense - a reference number would be lovely, thank you. I've been looking up rivets to use on my D Class conversion and the Archers product seemed to be the best one on the market. I'll buy a few different sizes then and match them up to the photographs.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The sheet I normally use and which will give you the small sizes is AR88001

If you need larger ones e.g frames on the front of a O4 or on Thompsons front frames use AR88009

I order direct from USA as cheaper than Historex here. They come in less than week too.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

That's brilliant, thanks Mick :)
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Its been pointed out on RM Web that the A2 cab isnt right for the A2/3 due to window position. :twisted:
I have now binned that effort and will make a strart on modifying a DJH A2/2 cab I already have.
I have now checked properly :shock: and confirmed the sides are correct for the A2/3. I will have to narrow the front as its a V version and make a roof to fit :shock: and now do the lining too :roll:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Mk 2 Cab

DJH A2/2 sides A3 Front and Bachmann A2 Roof. Microstrip beading and roof strips added. Numerous rivets to be added to Cabsides and Roof after first priming for visibility.
Boiler screwed down to footplate.This ensures Cab sits correctly level on footplate prior to glueing to Boiler first to locate Superglue and then Araldite for strength.
Also in photos the Vacumn ejector pipe has been moved up 2mm to correct position.
4.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You'll be relieved to be on the way again after that annoying diversion Mick. Resourceful use of spares to overcome the problem!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

On Archer rivets. I ordered my set last Monday 16th direct from Archer, got a email saying sorry for the delay in posting on Tuesday as Monday was a bank holiday, landed in my sticky little hands on Saturday....not bad from the USA. Historex were going to charge over £19 inc over £4 postage and packing, direct from Archer cost me just over £13, inc airfreight...a bargin..everything is now riveted.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Glad my tip re USA price was noted !

Now starting to look like a A2/3
1.jpg

With loose extra fittings. These will not be fitted until smokebox is primed and confirmed smooth.
2.jpg
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Coming on well Mick - you'll be doing A2 conversions in your dreams! :lol:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Not a problem as long as they dont become nightmares :lol: