Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Models

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

mick b wrote:Only part to need any slight work was the steam pipes both falling short a layer of shaped plastikard soon took up the gap.
That reminds me of a job I keep meaning to do on my own A2/3 :roll: . As the image I sent you last night shows, I did add some "flanges" to fill the gap where the pipe covers would join the smokebox on Simon's loco. I suppose a clearance at the end of the pipe does at least ensure that the smokebox immediately sits down fully into the saddle, saving you the trouble of looking for, and filing off, a possible cause of a tight fit :?:
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Not a problem to cure either way :D
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

It is literally the only thing holding me back from ordering the parts from you Graeme, and doing an A2/2 myself - the valve gear. The whole process of making the valve gear and attaching it to the chassis absolutely terrifies me :( I reckon I could do the body, and the running plate, but the chassis mods are beyond my skills I fear.

I think Bachmann may have missed a trick in not making the A2 chassis more capable of simply plugging in different cylinders and a different valve gear set, along with body/cab and running plate. The A2/3s that have been made really look the part, and I think when it's done, Mick, 60506 will do too! :)
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Looking good Mick, and now that you've removed the smoke deflectors, really starting to look like the 'Wolf'.

Always liked the look of these Pacifics, with there long smokeboxes and tiny wind/wing/smoke :!: deflectors.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

506 please none of that BR 60 suffix nonsense here :lol:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:That reminds me of a job I keep meaning to do on my own A2/3
No sooner said than done. My steam pipes no longer end in mid-air.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:I think Bachmann may have missed a trick in not making the A2 chassis more capable of simply plugging in different cylinders and a different valve gear set, along with body/cab and running plate.
I wonder if they ever envisaged even making an A2 when they did the A1? I thought it highly unlikely that they'd make one at the time. Had they seen / planned that far ahead, they could have saved themselves some later work there too. I suppose that as a "general" model railway manufacturer they are hardly likely to be on a planned, step by step mission to produce all of the post-1943 LNER Pacifics (even if some of us wish they were) so they won't be thinking about it with the clarity that we might as an LNER dedicated group.
It was only when Blink Bonny opened my eyes to the possibility that I realised the scope for doing the A1/1 using some of the A2/3 parts and ideas, so I can't criticise Bachmann for not seeing (or not catering for) all of the options.
I'll clear off Mick's space now.........

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

mick b wrote:506 please none of that BR 60 suffix nonsense here :lol:
Fair enough Mick! :)
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The Wolf ready for paint. Nothing is screwed down just been tested to ensure it goes around curves, which I am please it does first time The resin front frames can now be fitted and the Footplate Oil Lubricators.

Valve Gear was much easier than expected.
Due to my clumsiness I managed to break one return crank which has now been replaced. This was due to a rivet being too short. I also never made the new cut in the wheel boss wide enough to alow the crank to face left. As a result the tiny pins on the rear of the crank broke off when the retaining screw was tightened.

Cylinders
Ensure you slot the top of the slidebar deep enough. I didnt as a result the Cylinders wouldnt lay correctly. Once filed deep enough no problem.
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
8.jpg
Last edited by mick b on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Bachmann A H Peppercorn now with correctly painted Handrails and Sand fillers. Etched work plates added and finished in Satin Varnish to get rid of the awful original shiny finish.
6.jpg
7.jpg
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

They're looking good. Looking forward to seeing the Wolf in Apple Green clothing! :mrgreen:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Looking terrific Mick. Looking forward to seeing the wolf complete.

Just one question - how have you done your new washout plugs?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Martin Finney etches available as spares
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

mick b wrote:Martin Finney etches available as spares
Thanks Mick, much appreciated.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As I posted in my own thread, before looking here:

"Aha! Good, you got the wing-plate smoke deflectors to go on successfully. The improved sides to the visible saddle look good too. Do I even spy small grab-loop handrails down near the front of the running plate? Drilled lifting holes in the frames, anti-carboniser and pipework represented on smokebox, sand fillers in the correct new places. Pretty thorough!"

Yes, it is essential to get a deep enough notch in the top rear corner of the original slidebars, otherwise you get too much cylinder inclination, and the con-rods knock against the too-low rear ends of the slidebars.

DMR also do good etched oval covers on the firebox, sold as separate spares, not only in the full kits.