Tynemouth Pier Line

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Tynemouth Pier Line

Post by Percy Main »

Has anyone any information about, or pictures, of the track that linked Tynemouth pier with the old Oxford Street (Newcastle and North Shields Railway) goods station?

I can remember as a child seeing derelict looking wagons in the block yard at the end of the pier.
billdonald
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Tynemouth Pier Line

Post by billdonald »

Percy Main wrote:Has anyone any information about, or pictures, of the track that linked Tynemouth pier with the old Oxford Street (Newcastle and North Shields Railway) goods station?

I can remember as a child seeing derelict looking wagons in the block yard at the end of the pier.
It was a private line owned and operated by the Tyne Improvement Commissioners. For track details try the excellent Alan Godfrey series of maps. Alternatively, the Tyne & Wear Archives or Newcastle City Library will have the 25-inch OS maps of the area. Note that this scale is necessary for sufficient detail of tracks.

If you have a reasonable broadband connection viz. >2MB, you might try http://www.oldmaps.co.uk- however be warned it is very slow in the evenings and is extremely tedious to use.

Bill Donald
Dublin, Ireland
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

billdonald wrote:
Percy Main wrote:Has anyone any information about, or pictures, of the track that linked Tynemouth pier with the old Oxford Street (Newcastle and North Shields Railway) goods station?

It was a private line owned and operated by the Tyne Improvement Commissioners.

Bill Donald
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks.

Would a TIC engine have been housed there?

I have never seen this line discussed.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

A set of points still exists in the undergrowth under the road bridge.
billdonald
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by billdonald »

Percy Main wrote:
billdonald wrote:

It was a private line owned and operated by the Tyne Improvement Commissioners.

Bill Donald
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks.

Would a TIC engine have been housed there?

I have never seen this line discussed.
I think there's little published about this line and I can recall seeing a photo of a contractor's locomotive and some motley wagons on the pier during construction or repairs. The huge crane was used during construction to heave into position the large pre-cut stone blocks makinfg up the pier. It remained in place to assist in repairs and the railway was there to facilitate a supply of materials associated with this. I rather suspect that if locomotive was required, then the TIC would have hired a J79 or J72 from the LNER. If it was a small number of wagons involved, then probably a horse would have been used. There certainly would have been a Limit of Shunt board where wagons were exchanged.

Anyone recall which year the crane and the rail connection were removed - I think it was sometime in the 1950's.

Bill Donald
Dublin, Ireland
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I've a photo of the track in the yard leading to the pier in my Tynemouth set of photos HERE

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/s ... 387439295/
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Anyone recall which year the crane and the rail connection were removed - I think it was sometime in the 1950's.
It was still there around 1965 (the crane that is) because I can remember asking my father what it was for.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

These are the best I can do.

Malcolm
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

When was that last picture taken? Isn't that the small modern crane that replaced the huge old one in the mid 1960s?
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

The picture of Tynemouth pier yard showing the disconected lines is under the road bridge as those are the lines still in situ. I think the crane disapeared in the eighties.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

the north pier was opened in 1895 having been partialy washed away while under construction however it lost about 250 feet out of the middle again in 1897,it then took a further 14 years to rebuild but this time straight instead of curved. i suspect that the date of the first picture is about right and that the second picture is about 1897
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Any idea of the crane manufacturer?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

In the old picture it looks like what was known as a "Goliath" crane.I seem to remember there were the rotting remains of one on Sunderland South Dock pier in about 1970.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

i wonder how many people have noticed the small china doll set between two of the large blocks on the side wall of the footpath about a third of the way along the pier
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Percy Main wrote:When was that last picture taken? Isn't that the small modern crane that replaced the huge old one in the mid 1960s?
Yes, it is. I just can't remember when the old crane was removed. As I said earlier, it was still in situ in about 1965, but after that I cannot say.

Malcolm