Thompson 01

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Thompson 01

Post by 60526 »

I've recently bought a PDK 02/2 and whilst looking for detail information I started looking at the Thompson 01. The only kit I've seen is by Little Engines, but has anyone had a go at partly scratching the 01 by using a B1 boiler and cylinders, and valve gear from elsewhere. The B1 cab is certainly too short and the smokebox looks like it would have to be extended. I've got a stripped down Nucast B1 and Comet B1 cylinders that look like good donors for a start.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Thompson 01

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Have a look at this page, and possibly one or two before and after, also look at the "Bachmann Announce O4" thread that is mentioned in my notes. Had I not already sold the O1 you could have made me an offer :lol: . I'm a bit busy at present so I'm glad you sound keen to have a go at one for yourself. If I can help you out with ideas and information let me know.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Sorry about that 60526, I'm obviously not fit to left on my own thses days. I missed out the crucial link, which should have been to THIS page etc, etc:

loco-workbench-many-done-but-time-for-a ... 3s375.html

Now you may see what I was talking about.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Thanks for the information, I'll have to have a closer look at some of these earlier postings. Because my slush fund can't go to buying a new Bachmann 2-8-0, I'm now thinking of perhaps using the chassis from an old K's, perhaps the K's wheels, the tender and possibly other parts?...the real O1 used the chassis, wheels and tender from the O4. Looking at your model, am I right that you've used a B1 boiler and modified the cab? B1 cylinders and modified motion. Is the chimney and dome from the B1?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Good idea, why not use the K's parts in lieu of new Bachmann if that is what you have - so long as they are okay. I would. Yes, the boiler, modified running plate, extended height cab, cylinders, and modified valve gear/con rods are all Bachmann B1. The angular Gorton dome was my own resin casting from a hand made master, and for the chimney either 247 developments or DMR offer the very thing (although 247 call it an Ivatt J6/C1 chimney I think), or you might just manage to make the B1 chimney the necessary 3" or so taller by letting in a disc of plastic just above the base or just below the cap, but getting the rejoined parts in nice alignement and creating the correct subtle flare to the cimney might be quite difficult.
If your chassis has plenty of coupled wheel sideplay to cope with curves then setting the cylinders and valve gear in a position that gives clearance, yet does not put the cylinders ridiculously out-of-gauge, may be a challenge.

NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Well there's certainly plenty of sideplay in the K's chassis, I suppose what I need is a duff Replica or Bachmann B1 with valve gear but I can't really remember seeing one at exhibitions. So I've looked at the Nu-cast B1 bits I have and I think that I should be able to make something from this, the boiler casting is a bit rough, I think that I might try and scratch the cab front and sides. Yeadon's book is on order, this should be a bit of fun. I expect by the time I finish it Bachmann will have announce a RTR O1, well that's what happened with my kit built L1, A2, O4.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Replica Railways sell the B1 valve gear as a spare part for £4.50 plus P&P per pair.

Guess who's dreaming O1-shaped dreams?

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/spares ... ies/spares should take you there!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!