Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Models

Post by mick b »

No comparison with the Plastic offering :lol:

E Bay :D not at all the same time :wink:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A repainted from a lurid Mauve colour Corgi Trackside Scammell, the trailer has been converted to a flat bed and glazing added to Cab , lastly Fox transfers used for lettering
1.jpg

2.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

More on Brown Jack , now my Laptop has been repaired :?
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

5.jpg

Next are pictures of my last of my A3's name not decided on yet, has also been started. This will be last as I have now run out of bodies and chassis to convert :!: :!:

This body will need far more work than the previous A3's I have converted from the NRM base body.
I am making/have made the following
Single Chimney
Handrails
Front Steps
Ash Pan Lever
Nearside Steam pipe and base
Cab Doors and Wind defectors
Lamp Irons
Vacumn Ejector Pipe hopefully just the missing section :!:

As this body is so rough I will also add a correct Banjo Dome and reline the Boiler Bands using HMRS decals.
The cab has had one side repainted due to glue damage , the top of the boiler also need touching in due to different shape of the Banjo Dome. Luckily Hornby add the dome after painting the boiler so the marks are slight. Precision Doncaster Green is a perfect match .
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Tender is a Mallard version that took a nosedive of my layout a while ago hence the large repaired crack in the picture. I have cut the streamlining of the top and add beading to the sides/end to represent the version fitted to the Banjo A3's at the time of their building.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A renumber of one of the latest BR Bachmann Wagons to a LNER version very nice . I have a couple of the NE lettered Vans arrive as well ,excellent quality.
10.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

mick b wrote:Precision Doncaster Green is a perfect match .
Nice work all round Mick, but if you are right then Hornby must have used a different paint recipe compared to the colour that is on my two China-made super-detail Flying Foxes (one renamed Roayal Lancer) as that is NOTHING like Precision or Railmatch Donny Green :? :roll:
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Mick,
Nice work on the A3 there. I have had some of the new Bachmann wagons too, top quality. I thought the paint could have been a little redder but that is being very, very picky.

Where did you get the A3's from is it ebay or someother Flying Scot graveyard?
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

E bay for the wrecks and the chassis's. Probably cost me about the same for the four I have built for the rrp of one mint A3 !! A good challenge to !!

These are the NRM version perhaps different paint now used ?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Relettered , lightly weathered and fitted with Screw Couplings versions of Bachmann latest vans.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Two detail points which Bachmann have got wrong with their LNER van liveries. The buffers and headstocks of all vehicles with steel underframes were black to match the solebars and the vac stand pipes were always painted black unless on piped vehicles when they were red.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks for info , easily rectified for once :D
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A couple of my A1's at rest
1.jpg
2.jpg
My current Hornby A3 rebuild is coming along nicely both Loco and tenders are repainted , new parts have nearly all been made and fitted.

Spent most of today lining the tender :twisted: more pictures soon
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Great Pics. Which two are they?

Hornby made a model of A1 Gladiateur with the reversing gear on the wrong (left) side but regulator etc on the right. I was wondering if it may be an easier job to rebuild this as an A3 than to reline and repaint a BR A3. Perhaps Gladiateur is harder to come by though.

Just a thought.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

They are both renamed/numbered Hornby A1 Great Northerns in early 1923 livery.

A3's are left hand drive so Gladiateur not suitable as it is modelled in A1 form even though the reversing rod is on the wrong side . Yes I never noticed on my one it will be moved across .
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Firdaussi finished. It has been rebuilt with new scratch parts . A spare A4 chassis was converterd into a A3 using new wheels ,cylinders, valve gear , catazzi truck and tender underframe.
3.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg