Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Models

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As you will know, the plastic/nylon (?) middles of Bachmann split axles frequently develop cracks at the outer ends or completely cleave into two half-round axles. If you ever find yourself with this problem and you cannot get, or cannot be bothered to ask Bachmann for a new part of the right type, it is possible with time and care, and very little material cost, to repair the old axle. In the process (I believe anyway) it probably becomes stronger and more durable than the original. It even works for a driving axle with integral moulded gear wheel. If you want the tedious details of the process I'll post them up some time.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Yes please its the gear axle gone on this one . They are only £2 a set but if it saves some agg it will be useful
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Well three weeks on and Bachmann have so far sent eight plain plastic axles for my poorly J72 hopefully a Geared axle will arrive at some point !!! Graeme please post how to repair one if you get a chance please.

Meanwhile the Jubilee Triplet bodies are ready for painting
1.jpg
!st Class
2.jpg
3rd Class
3.jpg
Kitchen
4.jpg
Last edited by mick b on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Other side of Kitchen Coach. 1st and 3rd are same both sides both doors on each are at the Gangway end of the Coach
5.jpg
Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Triplet ready for lining and letters
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Bachmann tank Wagons , centre two have been renamed using Robbie Burns decals
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

You've got those Robbie Burns decals to sit down well. nice work!

Did you use any decal solvent? I found mine did not react well to microsol/set, but it might have been my rather ancient bottles of decal solvent. I ended up 'gluing' mine to the model (albeit a 2mm scale rake of box vans) using johnson's 'klear' floor wax.

Will
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

No problem I used Microsol/set. If anything they settle down too quick as very hard to adjust if you use the setting solution before laying the decal, as per the supplied instructions.
Perhaps he has improved the decals? as I have never used them before.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Those look good, Mick. I meant to have a close look at his stand at Warley, but it was one of many things I never got back to. I assume they're waterslide? Did you repaint the tanks or just remove the Bachmann lettering?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

JW
Yes the Decals are waterslide and include the Red Stripe as well as the Lettering. They are both done using the original Bachmann Tank paint base.
On the Anglo American /Pratts version I had to remove all of the lettering/stripe as the stripe needed to be in another position from the Bachmann version of the Tank I used . I used Turps for some reason the Black lettering dissolved in seconds , the Red lettering was more stubborn so I let them soak in a Turps bath.
Pratts version had to be broken down into components as the fixing wire is a tight fit on the tank and you would never get the decals under the wire without them breaking up.
He does a lot of decals for Tank wagons and I may do some more if I can get some more BachmannTank Wagons cheapish !!. They are well made with a excellent detailed chassis on the latest versions.

cheers

Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Silver Jubilee Set completed
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Attachments
4.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

5.jpg

Complete set behind Silver Fox
8.jpg
9.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A renamed damaged Quick Silver which needed a new front bufferbeam, this was repaired using one from a spare Falcon body . As I already have a Quick Silver this has been renamed/renumbered Silver Fox using Fox Transfers and etched Modelmaster Foxes and Boiler Bands painted Silver
6.jpg
7.jpg
Next project is to convert these wrecks ( not damaged by me !! ) into A3 Brown Jack there is enough parts between the two bodies to make a good conversion into a single chimney A3 .I have a spare chassis and a Corridor tender for it to pull in due course.
10.jpg
11.jpg
Last edited by mick b on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

mick b wrote:Silver Jubilee Set completed
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Very, very nice. Excellent work.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very nice looking streamlined coaches. I'll admit they are probably a cut above anything similarly obtainable via Mailcoach/Coopercraft kits.

How did you come by the damaged Quicksilver, the "spare" Falcon body and the trashed A1/A3 bodies?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.