Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: LNER Models

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Progress on my Hornby A1 renamed Sir Frederick Banbury and retroed to GNR livery.
Frames have been repainted reddish brown, and dark green border applied to tender. The cab lettering is from the HMRS sheet and the tender lettering from Old Time Workshop. The tender lining is HMRS with the corners carefully cut from the sheet.
Last edited by Saint Johnstoun on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Looking good so far. What did you settle on for the source of the GNR leters on the tender? Have you repainted the frames reddish-brown, I cannot judge from the photo?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Well done St J, you have captured the look in my opinion.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Don't want to detract from a very comendable effort, but GNR should be same size as number!

Cannot think of anything available that would do - possibly your own transfers on a clear sheet would suffice.
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

Using the HMRS sheet, use the N and R from the small LNER and an O from the cabside numbers. Cut part of the O away before applying it to the model, then convert it to a G with a small paintbrush.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks for the picture she looks very nice

GNR Decals are here

http://www.oldtimeworkshop.co.uk/RT4mmPrenat.html
I have never used them so cant comment on quality

Yeadon has a picture of Great Northern in GNR livery the letters are larger then the numbers but are smaller than on the model in the picture .
A picture here of a model painted by Ian Rathbone

http://www.scalefour.org/rathbone/index.html

Mick
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

I'd only done the left side of the locomotive when I took the photos so will look into checking correct sizes before proceeding further with the lettering.

I think my next repaint is going to be an A4 into apple green. As Hornby don't seem to be interested much in pre nationalisation liveries these days I may have a long wait so think I will take the plunge I've plenty of HRMS lining and transfers in stock, some bought 20 years ago.

The old time workshop transfers are good but methinks the lettering is a touch too large for G N R.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Never seen the Workshop decals , surely they arent larger than what you have already used ? there not 7mm are they ?

cheers
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

The Workshop decals are all the size I have used on the tender of 1471 which makes them LNER 12". All that is provided is an extra G along
with L N E R to allow G N R to be created but methinks that the G N R letters were 10" for the tender and 8"for the loco.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I now understand . Thats a shame, I think I could live with how you have decalled the loco in that case.

cheers
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

I won't varnish the tender yet as I may be able to correct the lettering later.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It had occurred to me that it ought to be possible, with care, to do something such as Coachmann has now suggested above. It is encouraging to have confirmation from a voice of much experience in these matters. If the alteration by small brush sounds too frightening, I imagine that extreme care and patience with a sharp blade whilst observing under suitable light and magnification would enable you to cut a section of another letter or numeral to combine with the cut 0 to make a G. I wouldn't overlay the pieces though as I think the sandwich would look rather thick, so I suspect they'd have to be cut to fit.

What was the final shade choice for the dark green?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

I had actually thought of 'cutting' another letter to make up the G. Part of an N cut in the right place should work. The dark green was Precision GNR dark green and the Red Brown was also theirs. I airbrushed the tender sides with Precision GNR Green and it is an almost perfect match with the Hornby colour.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Progress with the Silver Jubilee Triplet
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg

Sides have now been cleaned up and the ends added since the photo. 1st Class at the top of the picture, then Kitchen car finally 3rd Class
4.jpg
Last edited by mick b on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Other projects completed

A further Townstreet ex NER Signal Box for my layout Helensdale
7.jpg
8.jpg
Another Bachmann J72 renumbered and detailed
6.jpg
Wither her sister which has split its drive axle bush. New parts on way from Bachmann
5.jpg