2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: TomTank's Layout and Work Bench

Post by Tom F »

Evening all

after a few weeks of rest from modelling, I got round to modifying some weathering on two of my V2s.

The Double Chimney V2 60903 had a light coating of model mates soot spray, which in this case I liked as it looked nicely grimed, and just went on to then touched up, adding small areas of rust and mud in places.

The other V2, 60865 is a single chimney V2 but has outside steam pipes, something I like, as it gives them (at a glance) the look of an A3 from the front.

This V2 I had gone over top with model mates spray months ago, and with a cotton wool bud and water, I began removing the residue. What I like is it leaves the grime in the nooks a crannies, giving a realistic look of a loco thats sort of clean but with grime collected in the corners.

The Main difference with her is the Brunswick Green is more evident, gives a bit of variety in the fleet of Brunswick Green locos.

also added some working dirt around the lower half

And here they are together again

What I hope this shows, is two locos of the same class, but with different types of dirt and grime, having collected differently due to the different elements the locos may have been exposed to :)
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Evening all

Things have been a little quiet from me recently, basically a case of just me trying to get myself in to doing something. As mentioned earlier, some scenic improvements are to occur alongside my stretch of the ECML. but before I can do that I need to get something else done, the replacing of my Peco backdrops.

They have served me well over the past year or so, but now I feel they are somewhat dated, and would prefer to go with photo realistic backdrops which look to represent the Hambleton Hills more (the Hills that can be seen quite closely looking East from Northallerton and Thirsk. Hopefully by the weekend, they will have been replaced. To do so though, higher backdrop boards are required, so today it's been a case of getting the extension boards attached to battons to fix onto the existing boards on the layout. Tomorrow these will be fitted to the current boards.

So here was the last picture of the current boarding and backdrops....one last time ;)

and now here is the extensions increasing the backdrop boarding to a height of around 20 inches

Yesterday we added two of the backdrops into place, pic improvement IMO giving a real sense of realism, and a far more accurate depiction of what is the area 15 miles north of York.

and tonight, we go the final sections in place

behind East Alllerton, minus the station buildings which were removed for ease of work while the backscenes were going in place.

and a general shot of how the whole lot is looking now

I'm really chuffed with the results, adding a sense of realism that was missing before :)

next...using the Knoch Grass Master! :lol:
Tom Foster
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Looks good - I like "standandwatchem" layouts myself.

Currently working on one meself - terminus to fidddle yard, Somerset and Dorset.

Sorry for the bad language there.....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Now it looks like a railway IN the landscape, first class :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I too like the backdrops Tom :) . Is this the result of your own photography and printing? If so, can you treat us to a "how to do it" tutorial please? It's a pity though that the Eastern horizon for my layout would be a relatively low and unimpressive part of the Lincolnshire wolds :(

Blink Bonny: What bad language? Zummerzet and Dorrsette is a much more polite thing to say than GWR.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

That's a knockout, Tom. Congratulations. Yes, please do share your M.O. on this.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

I'd love to say it was my own photography talent..... Alas it's not :p

Www.internationalmodels.com hills and dales, not cheap but highly recommended. Think last months model rail had an article on backdrops.

Ordered some fencing, and once in place..... Grass master time ;)
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Can you make that link a bit more specific please Tom, it seems to just direct me to another search engine.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

....that is because it is .net not .com

http://www.internationalmodels.net/
John.

My spotting log website is at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/

And my spotters' b&w photo site is at http://spottinglogs.blog
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

strang steel wrote:....that is because it is .net not .com

http://www.internationalmodels.net/
My apologies, I was trying to remember the address while at work on my phone. That is indeed the correct address, and the particular backscenes are here:-

http://www.internationalmodels.net/acat ... cenes.html

Scroll down to find the appropriate ones, some good for Lincolnshire I'm sure ;)
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Found them now thanks. They do look very nice, but nothing to suit Lincs I'm afraid. Some low, cultivated hills would be nice. The Lincolnshire Wolds don't reach the "dizzy" heights of open moorland and craggy outcrops :(

wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

Tom, I think the layout looks good- it is nice to see a 'roundy roundy' in this age of 'shunting planks' and endless parade of modern-image depot layouts. You're lucky youve got the space/time/money!

I haven't tried this myself on railway backdrops, but I understand 'photo-stitch' software is pretty easy to some by now- either included with cameras, or downloadable for free. Most high-street print shops will be able to print a long, thin, image for you at a reasonable cost.

I suppose the hard bit would be trying to find somewhere photo-genic enough to look like the 1930s! Maybe that wouldn't be such a problem in the wolds- where a bit of manipulation in photoshop (or some similar, free, software) would make good the stray UPVC windows/ modern cars, sat dishes, etc etc.

Will
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Afternoon chaps, an update to Eastcote Regeneration you could say :) Static Grass applied with some fencing, 60% work done on the area, but the details of bushes, trees and more fencing to come next :)

On the approach to East Allerton, K3 on a Fast Freight

V3 Tank Engine picks up at East Allerton

A deserted over grown siding for all to see

Really pleased with the progress on the area, once it's pretty much there, I'll post a pic to compare how she looked before.
Tom Foster
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Wow! Those backdrops really do make such a difference! Loving the work done here, if my own layout ends up half as good as yours I'll be a very happy man!
Steve
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Cheers Atso :)

Evening Gents

Loco update :)

It has been on my mind regarding this type of loco on the layout, and when I heard Bachmann were stopping production, I had to try and get hold of one, especially as they were a real work horse across the BR network.

A WD 2-8-0

I had a look on ebay and saw a well respected ebayer who does some stunning weathering was selling one, heavily weathered to a stunning standard, plus having been renumbered to 36A (Peterborough) New England loco....right up my street.

Anyhow enough ramberling, here she is on the re done East Allerton section, with my mineral wagons, weathered and full of real coal! :)

Tom Foster