2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: TomTank's Layout and Work Bench

Post by PGBerrie »

TomTank wrote:I spray the loco with Varnish, either Matt/Satin or Gloss.
I then apply the powers by hand, they tend to stick better than if you do it without spraying first, I also wash with water while applying to get into the nook and cranies, especially with Sir Nigel when I applied on her.
Thanks Tom. I just did my first real rust job on some coal hopper's using artist's chalks, applying them dry on grounding and paint, then brushing for effect - but I still have to apply the transfers and then the matt varnish. I'm not quite sure what will happen! I think next time I will try it your way.

Peter
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

52D wrote:Tom i like your turntable can you give us some details please.
Hi 52D

The turntable is the Peco one which I bought off ebay about 3 years ago, had already had the motor fitted and had been well painted and weathered. It's controlled off my DC gaugemaster, can't say i have any problems with it. Does the job well :)

Latest Update.

My Bachmann 04 arrived on Friday, I went for the LNER livery one, to mach my current era of 1930's LNER locos.

I must say the loco is a stunner, best detail I have seen on a Bachmann loco, rivals Hornby's detail quality. The loco itself runs smooth as anything at low speeds, handles anything with ease!

Today I decided to give her the weathering touch with my new Carrs Weathering Powders, was sort of an experiment, trying to get different effects, using reference photographs, I have tried to give the effect of general grime, rust around frames and smoke box door and the wheels. Some pics appear speckled, I assure you this doesn't appear in real life.

Anyhow here are the results, I hope you like them

Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
PGBerrie

Post by PGBerrie »

Looks so good, you can almost hear it clank!

Peter
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

PGBerrie wrote:Looks so good, you can almost hear it clank!

Peter
Quite honoured by that Peter, and means I have created the desired effect :o

Well chaps latest update

Since the great results from the powders on the 04, I decided to go over some of my existing rolling stock that hadn't been weathered. This being my early BR stock (late 1940's)

Here is one of my Peppercorn A1s, 60125 before she named Scottish Union, a loco a renumbered and that process can be seen further back in this thread.

My plan was to take the shine of a standard factory made loco, but the question was how to weather.

The question was how to weather, the extreme, light, worn out?

Well the loco as seen would only be a few years old, so mechanically I would say she was pretty sound, but being one a new fleet of pacifics she would be used pretty heavily, yet saying that if housed at Top Shed she would be cleaned regular.

The effect I went for is light weathering, so that the loco appeared to be worked, some smoke stain, dirt collecting around the wheels and the axle boxes, plus around the frames.

Anyhow enough talking and see what you think. Ignore the kitchen....it's just the best place for lighting ;D

Tender given a light covering, with mix of mud and dark grey.

the wheels have been weathered although the photo doesn't appear to have picked this up too much.

Something else Apple Green on the way....but it's not what you may be thinking ;)
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If you study many of my images you can discern the subtle swirl of our "onyx" kitchen worktops too! In my case I usually move the jars and the toast rack aside first :wink: .
Funny how kitchens seem to have good lighting, yet ladies usually want the lounge "restfully" lit (i.e. so hopelessly dim that it's impossible to see anything properly :roll: )
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:If you study many of my images you can discern the subtle swirl of our "onyx" kitchen worktops too! In my case I usually move the jars and the toast rack aside first :wink: .
Funny how kitchens seem to have good lighting, yet ladies usually want the lounge "restfully" lit (i.e. so hopelessly dim that it's impossible to see anything properly :roll: )
Thats a very good point there Graeme! I actually think you may have unveiled the secret of the universe with that one! :p
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Evening all

After a fantastic week away in North Wales, I came back ready to do some modelling.

While away I won a model of A1 60115 'MEG MERRILIES' on ebay
Out of the many A1s I have now collected, she is my first A1 in Brunswick Green with Early Crest and stove pipe chimney, so a nice addition in that respect.

Tested her and she has the best haulage capability of all my A1s for sure. Next was to add the detailing parts to her, remove the front coupling, and then to weather.

The weathering, I have gone for a light to medium lookk, so she looks nicely worked in my opinion, Matt Varnished sprayed first, before blending dark greys, mud/dirt colour on the body, while adding rust and mud around the wheels and cylinder ends, then there was the limescale around the normal areas.

Anyhow here are the pictures, hope you like them

Tom Foster
coachmann

Post by coachmann »

Neat collection of locos there. I have only just found this thread and have been reading through the various trails and tribulations re the A2/3 and Scotsmans boiler. Only one point confuses me. The locos started off BR, ten they went LMER. Now they back BR. I must have missed something...... :D
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

coachmann wrote:Neat collection of locos there. I have only just found this thread and have been reading through the various trails and tribulations re the A2/3 and Scotsmans boiler. Only one point confuses me. The locos started off BR, ten they went LMER. Now they back BR. I must have missed something...... :D

Haha thats just my odd way of modelling....the truth betold I prefer the Ex LNER in 1950s, but decided that with my next epiosde of North Eastern Steam http://www.youtube.com/user/DoctorTankEngine that I would like to be able to explore the whole period of the LNER from 1922-1964.

I like my Thompson pacifics....hence why im drawn back to BR period...they just look...so unusual ;)

Thanks for the comments coachmann :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Evening chaps :)

Well this evening I decided to touch up a spot of the weathering, return her to the layout, work the motion in as she would be a bit jerky after having the weathering added to the motion, then spray with a thin coat of Matt Varnish to seal it all in.

Heres the finished results minus etched nameplates which are on the way :)

Rust effect focused on Cylinder ends and motion, plus around the wheels.

nice helping of real coal added to the tender

and no loco is right without her dedicated crew....thank goodness to Bachmann for producing these superb little figures

and here she is storming through East Allerton with the 'Tyne Tees Pullman'
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Evening chaps

Here she is, the next weathering victim.

Gateshead A4 60020 'GUILLEMOT'

Once again, as has been referenced in NES and on hear, Gateshead locos were never clean, and she in no exception.

I begin the process by applying coal/soot powder over the top of the loco, showing the stains from the chimney along the boiler cladding, when I'm happy with this I add the mud powder around the sides and frames. I then tone that done with some more soot generally around all over.

I next did something similar with the wheel and motion, applying more mud. When happy with that, I added some areas of rust, particular notice was taken on the rivet areas above the cylinder cladding showing some rust.

I had to use my old mobile camera as the batteries are flat in the digital so no close up picks of the motion I'm afraid.

I apologies again for the kitchen :P I tried to block it out with an A4 book (Power of the A4s) but it blocked the light and didn't look as good.

Enjoy

I finally found something modelling wise I enjoy. I don't like kitbashing, and haven't at the moment got the patience for kitbuilding, something I hope to change.
Tom Foster
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Nice 'workstained' effect on both the A4 & A1
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

will5210 wrote:Nice 'workstained' effect on both the A4 & A1

Thanks will5210, I'm rather chuffed with these effects from the weathering

of course the ultimate place to show off is on the layout, enjoy

Nice shot of both on shed, notice 60115 now has etched name plates :)

and now an atmospheric shot ;)

no digital manipulation, just the layout and smoke machine :)
Tom Foster
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

I've just been reading back through some of your posts, and I believe when weathering you go:

1. matt varnish
2. use weathering powders
3. matt varnish again

Am I correct?

Do you clean the wheels straight after, or not at all?
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
wehf100

Post by wehf100 »

Last two shots are prefect! Only thing I could suggest would be to work a little more on the water stains from the washout plugs. A very very thin wash of water + a tiny touch of white paint, (with the surface tension broken) might unify it all a bit and look like water has ran down the sides of the firebox cladding.

At what point in your weathering process did you use the French salad dressing...

:P Will